Main Menu

Prog 2153 - All Hail El Presidente

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 October, 2019, 05:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Forgot to comment on this prog, much has already been said - re McNeil's art in particular which was an absolute joy.

I'm rather in two minds about Defoe and it's art and very much enjoying Hope.   

But what struck me was the political commentary in Brink this week that actually has contemporary resonance. I've long been rather disappointed in 2000ad's rather plodding and out of date political commentary, often from Pat Mills. At least he does it I suppose... and the man who wrote Terrameks and Nemesis has my enduring affection and respect but the world being run by bowler hatted toffs in Pall Mall just doesn't cut it anymore.

So by a long and torturous route I come to the point and back to Brink. The device of the Hate/Swear Box  machine that polices language has clear relevance to today's political lansdscape and the on-going threat to free speech. Often those of an authoritarian bent, under the guise of seeking to moderate language, are actually seeking to control language, what can and cannot be discussed and therefore what people think and feel. That box monitoring your language and doling out fines is both comic and terrifying in equal measure!

Just another reason to enjoy Brink and to hope that Abnett sticks with us. 

TordelBack

That cover is loverly but quite misleading! 

Dredd a bit slow, a trip into the Generican jungle, a weird Archer-esque conversation behind a waterfall and that's your lot. Don't think Dredd is really here about a handful of nukes, that's not what was on Hershey's mind at all. But it all looks wonderful and I loved it all the same.

Brink is great, Kurtis and Gita always have such a fun rapport. Still chuckling about "over the shirt action" from the last series.

Defoe is genuinely interesting, and I'm really enjoying the shakeup in the art now.

Can't decide if it's a good or a bad thing that Deadworld's re-run of the nuke bit was so brief. Probably the former - I liked the Sovs' shocked reaction to seeing Death's capital. And I really liked Kendall's version of the Statue of Liberty!

Hope lost me a bit this week, but it sure is purdy!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Geoff on 19 October, 2019, 11:24:31 PM

That box monitoring your language and doling out fines is both comic and terrifying in equal measure!

[spoiler]Not what you expected[/spoiler] one dollar fine.
DDT did a job on me

Geoff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 October, 2019, 05:53:18 PM
Quote from: Geoff on 19 October, 2019, 11:24:31 PM

That box monitoring your language and doling out fines is both comic and terrifying in equal measure!

[spoiler]Not what you expected[/spoiler] one dollar fine.

:lol: