Main Menu

PlayStation 5 / Xbox Series X mega-thread!

Started by Darren Stephens, 14 June, 2020, 11:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I find the obsession with the physical aesthetics of new consoles quite weird.
Last generation the Xbox One was getting stick for looking like a VHS player. Personally, I thought it was a good thing - a simple black box to sit under the telly.
This generation we have the extraordinarily ugly PS5, which, if I buy one is probably going to have to sit on the floor because it looks totally impractical to fit in my unit next to, or beneath the Sky box.

Professor Bear

I'll make the ergonomics case for the PS5's stupid and ugly design: people won't have room for another console on top of the ones they've already got, so Sony have made one that slots into the gaps between them.  Now we know why they brought out a PSVR version of Tetris.

Link Prime

PS5 pre-orders already sold out in the UK & Eire??
Couldn't find any online this morning...

MumboJimbo

Just preordered one on Amazon for my lad. Still available at time of writing

Link Prime

Strange - nothing available on Amazon UK on my end.

broodblik

Pre-orders here is not available as of yet.  Do not forget there is only one country on this planet which counts and I am sure non off us lives there.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 17 September, 2020, 09:48:47 AM
Pre-orders here is not available as of yet.  Do not forget there is only one country on this planet which counts and I am sure non off us lives there.

I do.

*Plays Fields of Athenry on the tin whistle while pouring Jameson over Cornflakes*

MumboJimbo

I think Amazon UK sold out in 20-30 minutes. I was spamming refresh at 8:59 thinking it would sell out even quicker

repoman

I've preordered but I'm not happy about it.

The PS5 is the first system that I'm going to get on day one (although pre-ordering from Scan means it'll likely be days 2-5).  And yet it's the least excited I've ever been about a console.

I can't see anything it does that is unique or special.  The games announced are all pretty predictable or are cross-gen with PS4.  There's no PS1-3 backwards compatibility either. 

Xbox have better ideas but they just aren't there with the games.

JamesC

Quote from: repoman on 21 September, 2020, 12:06:38 PM
I've preordered but I'm not happy about it.

The PS5 is the first system that I'm going to get on day one (although pre-ordering from Scan means it'll likely be days 2-5).  And yet it's the least excited I've ever been about a console.

I can't see anything it does that is unique or special.  The games announced are all pretty predictable or are cross-gen with PS4.  There's no PS1-3 backwards compatibility either. 

Xbox have better ideas but they just aren't there with the games.

Why pre-order then? Not a dig I just don't get it. If you're not bothered about the launch games why not wait for the library to build up a bit?

I certainly won't be pre-ordering. I'm more into the retro stuff anyway but this generation launch does feel the most underwhelming yet.

repoman

It's a fair question.

I run a PlayStation-only review site that's on Metacritic so I need to be able to review PS5 when it comes out.

JamesC

That makes sense. Well I hope you get some fun out of it anyway.

RocketMother

There is absolutely zero hype from me for either of them. The only reasons I'd have for picking up a console at launch is either a huge upgrade in graphics (like going from MegaDrive to Playstation) or exclusive games that I can't play anywhere else.

Right now the PS5 launch line up has two games that are new and exclusive (the rest are either available on PS4 already or remakes of PS3 games) which are Destruction All Stars and Godfall. Both from studios who's previous releases I have no interest in.. (as far as I can see, the dev of Godfall has only made 1 previous title and lucid games mostly deals in mobile games...)

Which seems bad until you look at the Xbox line up which has ONE game that I can't play on the current Xbox which is Bright Memory, a game made by devs I know nothing about (at time of writing I couldn't even find a wiki page for them, as far as I know this is their first game)...

No doubt I'll upgrade eventually but as far as day 1 goes I honestly don't see the point.

Professor Bear

I want more Horizon Zero Dawn content, but beyond that IDGAF.

repoman

PS5 arrived.  Early thoughts;

Astro's Playroom is great.  Show's off the excellent new controller perfectly.

PS5 is huge but oddly not as big as I thought it'd be.  Stupid shape but now it's under my TV it's okay.  Greyer than you might think.

Upgrading your PS4 games is not as intuitive as it should be.  You've got a couple of button presses into unknown territory to get the option to then upgrade them.

Excitingly, one of the best indie games has had a PS5 makeover.  The very on-topic JYDGE which I love a lot.  I'll be giving that a go in a minute.