Main Menu

Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism!

Started by NapalmKev, 25 July, 2020, 06:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Five long years after the release of the successful (and absolutely outstanding) Apex Predator/Easy Meat, Napalm Death are finally releasing a new album. Available for pre-order from the following:

napalmrecords.com Standard CD and Media book versions.

The Decibel Store De-Weponised Steel and Black Swirled Vinyl.

Nuclear Blast Special edtion CD with 3 bonus tracks.

I personally cannot vouch for any of these companies as I've never used them!

I'll link to a couple of songs for the multitude one or two of you that may be interested.

Backlash Just Because which is a bonus track on the special edition. I like It.

White Kross which is a cover song originally by Sonic Youth and is the B-Side to the available EP Logic Ravaged By Brute Force.

Enjoy!

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

sintec

Nuclear Blast have been around for ever (which in this instance is about 30 years). Not ordered anything from them in a long while but they were certainly reliable back in the day (i.e. the 90s).

repoman

Backlash Just Because is good.  My fave Napalm Death bits always involve bits of jangly, discordant guitar.  It's like a little bit of a Killing Joke influence.

NapalmKev

Another new song from ND and I'm guessing the forthcoming album is aimed at a wider audience. The music and vocals are still loud as hell and there's a lot going on in the production, as always, but there's definitely an element of groove, not just on Backlash but also on the new song, Amoral.

Can't blame the guys if they going for more widespread appeal. Extreme Metal isn't exactly a money maker of a genre!

I could be wrong about the rest of the album and it may be, on the whole, faster and more intense than Apex..., which I enjoyed a lot. I'm not looking for Version 2 of that album but I still want a hell of a lot of fast and heavy.

Just to be clear - I do like the new material but 5 years between albums is a long time and I need more raging intensity in my life!

Cheers

Greg M.

Heading back more towards Fear, Emptiness, Despair and Diatribes?

NapalmKev

Quote from: Greg M. on 22 August, 2020, 09:21:00 AM
Heading back more towards Fear, Emptiness, Despair and Diatribes?

I would say so although the new material has that abrasive edge that both those albums lacked. Good albums nonetheless but they're not played nearly as much as others (Apex.../Utopia Banished) and nothing in their discography gets played more than Enemy Of The Music Business.

I've claimed other albums were my faves in the past but EOTMB is the one that cemented my love of the band and is the greatest album of all time.

Cheers

Greg M.

I've had a listen now and I can see what you mean about Amoral - it's catchy, but it's got a much rawer, punker sound than something like Greed Killing. Still an interesting direction - maybe Apex really was the apex of their ferocity.

NapalmKev

Napalm Death release another track from the soon to be released Throes Of Joy... and it's experimental to say the least.

This is A Belly Full Of Salt And Spleen!

It starts more in the vein of tracks such as Evolved As One and Apex Predator but then becomes it's own thing entirely. It's brutal and slow but it changes it's sound just before the midway point, the song being 4:45 mins in length,

I like it a lot and the accompanying video Is something you need to see. Even if you aren't a fan of the music I would recommend viewing the video.

I'm impressed and my anticipation for the full album is ever increasing.

Cheers

NapalmKev

broodblik

Click on "Profile" on top. You will see your Summary. Then go to Modify Profile and click on Forum Profile. This is where you can change your avatar
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

NapalmKev

For those experiencing technical issues or have queries about Editing Profiles  - Website & Forum

For those who are looking for more Napalm Death goodness try their official website - Napalm Death official

They also have a new store where you can buy direct from the band rather than through a third-party site - Napalm Death Store

Cheers

Magnetica

I have never really got Napalm Death. I have never been able to get passed the vocal style.

I do like a bit of powerful, noisy music, but only where there is singing, compared to the growling / grunting vocal style.

And apologies I don't mean that to sound disrespectful- if there is a better way to describe it, then please let me know.

I am interested though, to understand the attraction.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Magnetica on 07 September, 2020, 12:32:45 PM
I have never really got Napalm Death. I have never been able to get passed the vocal style.

I do like a bit of powerful, noisy music, but only where there is singing, compared to the growling / grunting vocal style.

To be honest growling and grunting is probably the best way to describe the vocals. Although to be fair to the lead singer, his Shouts and shrieks have had rare instances of melody in recent years.

Quote from: Magnetica on 07 September, 2020, 12:32:45 PM
And apologies I don't mean that to sound disrespectful- if there is a better way to describe it, then please let me know.

I am interested though, to understand the attraction.

I always had a yearning for the exotic even as a youngster. My older brother had Kings Of The Wild Frontier by Adam & The Ants which I used to play endlessly. Then I graduated to Alice Coopers' Poison and such like. I was 11 and this faze didn't last as soon after I discovered Anthrax and Thrash Metal in general. My love of speed* was born!

And then I came across Diatribes by ND. Arguably not very heavy by today's standards but at the time it blew me away. The perfect culmination of fast intense and Heavy music with Politically charged lyrics. It just clicked with me more than anything else ever had before...and since.

Cheers

*Not the Drug! Awful stuff.

Barrington Boots

The latest track is very Godflesh-y whilst I thought Amoral was quite reminiscent of stuff like Amebix / Killing Joke. I didn't like 'A Bellyfull..' at all but that's never been a sound I've been into in fairness.

It feels like a bold decision to make such a stylistic shift but the signs were there on Apex Predator and they can't keep bashing out the same albums forever. I think it's important in extreme music to push your own boundaries and always do what you want rather than fall into a pattern of rote albums like, say, Slayer.

I'm not hopeful I'm going to enjoy the album but I'm definitely interested to hear it in full.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 09 September, 2020, 09:35:13 AM

It feels like a bold decision to make such a stylistic shift but the signs were there on Apex Predator and they can't keep bashing out the same albums forever. I think it's important in extreme music to push your own boundaries and always do what you want rather than fall into a pattern of rote albums like, say, Slayer.

I get what you mean with Slayer. I would say they've ridden that same sound for their entire career. I do like Seasons In The Abyss, though.

Another band that always made a ton of money for doing the same thing over and over is Cannibal Corpse. Some good tunes aside their lyrics are awful, IMO. Shock rather than substance, I won't horrify any of the Forum members by posting CC's nonsense. I would recommend that people listen the album KILL. It's probably the best of their output, again, IMO.

Cheers