Main Menu

Shift Comic - new UK anthology

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 September, 2020, 02:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: GordonR on 03 October, 2020, 12:36:37 PM
"Great news inside, readers!"

I can remember my days of reading The Eagle how I come to loathe those words.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

tonyf33

The first issue of Shift will be 108 pages with a ComicScene section in it.  It's published by Comic Toolbox.
It will be on sale in WHSmith, Martin/McColls and Easons and is likely to be in Barnes and Noble in US, Indigo/Chapters in Canada and Australia.  You will be able to order it at your local store as well. 
You can get the new 'History of Comics' Partwork (first 4 volumes covering 1984, 1977, 1950 & 1986) and Shift together for less than the cover price at https://comicscene.org/subscribe-to-the-history-of-comics/ or at https://getmycomics.com/Release/Indie
ComicScene also doing a hardback annual this year too https://comicscene.org/2020/09/30/buy-your-comicscene-annual-here-now-even-bigger-at-116-pages/
The current issue of ComicScene Magazine (featuring Dan Dare in 2000AD) will be the last and you can get it in WHSmith and McColls now with more info about Shift in it.
With 2000AD and Megazine doing well and these titles launching in October/November things are looking a little healthier for comics.  Hope that helps.

Bad City Blue

Merging with another title after your debut issue.  That's a new one.

It's not the debut. I've ben reading it for a year now.

Do keep up, Bond...
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

GordonR

:lol:
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 03 October, 2020, 10:53:48 PM

Do keep up, Bond...

No, you've been reading Comic Scene for over a year. We're talking about Shift, which is just launching and then having Comic Scnene merged onto it.

QuoteThe first issue of Shift will be 108 pages with a ComicScene section in it.  It's published by Comic Toolbox.

QuoteThe current issue of ComicScene Magazine (featuring Dan Dare in 2000AD) will be the last

Something about.... keeping up..?

Bad City Blue

:D :D :D :D

Try again, Kenny.

It is not merging with anything "after " it's debut issue. Comic Scene is becoming part of it in the actual first issue.

So "Great news for Shift readers" there - the two are one from the beginning.

I hope it's successful.

Quote from: GordonR on 04 October, 2020, 02:26:53 AM
:lol:
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 03 October, 2020, 10:53:48 PM

Do keep up, Bond...

No, you've been reading Comic Scene for over a year. We're talking about Shift, which is just launching and then having Comic Scnene merged onto it.

QuoteThe first issue of Shift will be 108 pages with a ComicScene section in it.  It's published by Comic Toolbox.

QuoteThe current issue of ComicScene Magazine (featuring Dan Dare in 2000AD) will be the last

Something about.... keeping up..?

Bolt-01

hmmm - interesting.

Comicscene is (possibly) seeing a decline in regular sales, so is being absorbed by a new title that does a lot of the same stuff, with a spin making it seem new and also giving the casual buyer a new first issue to pick-up.

A cynical person could assume this is a deliberate marketing ploy to keep the awareness up of a title that has been around for a while. I actually think that is pretty clever and a nice alternative to the current swathe of new comics all being funded via kickstarter repeatedly.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 05 October, 2020, 11:08:12 AM
hmmm - interesting.

Comicscene is (possibly) seeing a decline in regular sales, so is being absorbed by a new title that does a lot of the same stuff, with a spin making it seem new and also giving the casual buyer a new first issue to pick-up.

A cynical person could assume this is a deliberate marketing ploy to keep the awareness up of a title that has been around for a while. I actually think that is pretty clever and a nice alternative to the current swathe of new comics all being funded via kickstarter repeatedly.

Did Comicscene have so much comics content? I flicked through it but never picked it up so don't know but thought it was more of a features thing? That's what's attracted me and a decent line-up of creators.

Anyway cynical ploy or not I'm onboard. Decided to take a punt on a 5 issue sub - so the marketing this as a comic rather than a magazine has worked on me!

The shop is now open for pre-orders

https://theshift.store/collections/all

broodblik

This looks interesting but for me in today's age if you have  no digital option available then you are not an option for me.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 06 October, 2020, 07:19:22 AM
This looks interesting but for me in today's age if you have  no digital option available then you are not an option for me.

Yeah its interesting (well to me) Spacewarp is just digital and The Shift (maybe the clue is about what they are doing is in the title!) is purely physical.

The former I can easily understand as physical distribution is an obviously expensive and tricky business. I'm curious about the latter as I'm guessing all the content will be held digitally (?) and while I believe there are considerable costs in digital distribution, the logistics would seem easier. Or is that naive of me?

broodblik

I still think that a lot of the guys are still thinking "old school" models only. The world is changing and I see the digital route will become the main stream (in some cases the only stream).  I have made a decision a few years ago that anything I read or watch must be digital. Getting the physical copies of anything has become a big issue in my world. So hopefully this will be made available digitally.

Bad City Blue

Pat Mills won't be getting my cash until he releases the physical copy. It's interesting that the amateurs on The 77 have managed to handle their oublication (so far) with more competence than the seasoned professional.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 06 October, 2020, 09:07:45 AM
Pat Mills won't be getting my cash until he releases the physical copy. It's interesting that the amateurs on The 77 have managed to handle their oublication (so far) with more competence than the seasoned professional.

While I looked through it and decided the 77 wasn't for me there's no denying they've done a fantastic job of catching an audience and the chrest of a wave with their Kickstarters. They have produced a great looking product and really that needs to be celebrated.

Mind they are all in kindergarden compared to Bolt01 and co with their phenomenal work over the years with Zarjaz and Dogbreath and FutureQuake AND Something Wicked.

Bolt-01

Aw shucks. Thanks Colin, much appreciated.

New issues are all imminent, and you Squaxx are going to love the new Zarjaz cover.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 October, 2020, 08:10:01 AMThe Shift (maybe the clue is about what they are doing is in the title!) is purely physical.

Don't worry, there'll be a digital copy available shortly after the physical version goes on sale - whether the publishers want it or not.  I've had my stuff scanned and redistributed, so an actual professional publication doesn't stand a chance.

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 06 October, 2020, 09:07:45 AM

No disrespect to the '77 lads or anyone else making fanzines, but anyone can print books and sell them from a car boot, however, almost nobody turns a profit from doing so.  I imagine Mills' plan is to actually be able to continue to make Spacewarp beyond the first issue.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I will be frequenting my local WHSmith on the 29th in an effort to secure this. I expect to be disappointed as my local WHSmith is a bit rubbish. However, if it does turn up, I sincerely hope the paper stock and design are not similar to the existing ComicScene magazine, of which I have a great dislike. Also, I hope their proofreading is better.

SBT