Main Menu

2000AD Forum Sketch Comp #4: SPECIAL BOLT-01 EDITION

Started by Jim_Campbell, 08 May, 2021, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 May, 2021, 07:51:17 AM
It felt like there was a really great story that deserved to be told. I love Stront stories that dive into the history of the kreelers and the war.

Alec did/ does actually have a couple more scripts round about Harry McShane that goes more into his background during the Mutant War. There was also one he wrote explaining why the Scottish muties looked like ridiculous national stereotypes.

There's been another Laura Gonzalez & Slabhead script he wrote sitting waiting for me to be in a position to draw it before he submitted it, it has a nice 'dark farce' feel to it IMO.

When I couldn't even hold a pencil firmly enough to draw with, Rich suggested I try script writing and after a while I ended up writing a Gonzalez story myself that's still sitting on my old laptop HD waiting too.
I did think about submitting that script to the thread but it's 3 parts (15 pages of strip)- too long really and I'm pretty sure Laura's potty-mouth and the tone of the story wouldn't be appropriate for the purpose of this thread either, so I won't.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Dark Jimbo

Just to say, as we tear into the back end of the month, that I do have a piece coming for this thread, but it's been seriously set back by lettering woes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

...woes which have all been sorted by the incomparable Jim C!

A very personal one from me. I did various Futurequake and Something Wicked strips for Richmond and Bolt, but it was the recurring adventures of Sun & Moon in Dogbreath that was our longest collaboration. I think it was Bolt who earmarked me as the artist. It was definitely Bolt who lettered the strips, of course, and Bolt who came up with the logo idea. Early strips in particular involved a lot of back-and-forth between the four of us via email, as we thrashed out details and ideas, and to be honest those chats were my favourite part of doing the strips. We were all having great fun (even if none of the readers were!) Bolt and Richmond even 'let' us have the cover of Dogbreath 23, where we homaged Trainspotting through a Strontium Dog filter – a really proud moment.

Dan – 'the Emperor' – had been building gradually toward a final confrontation with Johnny Alpha, where he held them to account for that whole 'Journey into Hell' fiasco. A few adventures before we got there, however, Dan vanished from the internet – so suddenly and completely that I've often wondered if something didn't happen to him in 'real' life. I hope not. Whatever the reason, that was the end of the Sun & Moon outings. I thought idly about pitching the final scripts myself, but by that time the momentum was long since gone. I did one or two more unrelated strips for Richmond and Bolt, but I'd been growing really dissatisfied with my strip work for a while, and reluctantly decided I wasn't really cut out for comics. So that was that.

It was lovely to give it all a bit of closure here, and pay tribute to Dan (wherever he is), their beloved co-creator Carlos, and of course poor Bolt, who – with Richmond – made it all happen in the first place.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Woolly

Kev Levell

Dog Deever

Sun and Moon were great- really nice tribute Jimbo.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Pete Wells

Beautiful. That really hit me hard.

Thanks Jimbo!

Buttonman

A cracking Prog worthy tribute and, more importantly, worthy of the man himself.

Matt Timson

In my opinion, and whether he realised it or not, Dave's influence on a generation of UK comic creators can't be overstated.

The world is a poorer place without him in it.

Pffft...

Woolly

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"