Main Menu

Christmas Prog line-up revealed

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 November, 2022, 03:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Looks good. Joe Pineapples arrives at last!

Judge Dredd: The Last Temptation of Joe by Ken Niemand & Lee Carter
               Proteus Vex: Crawlspace by Mike Carroll & Jake Lynch
               Joe Pineapples: Tin Man by Pat Mills, Simon Bisley & Clint Langley
               The Out, Book Three by Dan Abnett & Mark Harrison
               Bonjo From Beyond the Stars by Garth Ennis & Kev O'Neill
               Rogue Trooper: Brothers by Kek-W & Warwick Fraser-Coombe
               Hope: In the Shadows Reel Two by Guy Adams & Jimmy Broxton
               Judge Dredd: Troublemaker by Gordon Rennie & Robin Smith

https://2000ad.com/news/pre-order-the-bumper-christmas-2022-issue-of-2000-ad/

nxylas

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 November, 2022, 03:25:52 PM
Interesting. My understanding is that Bisley drew the first two episodes and Langley the rest. Does this mean they'll be publishing multiple episodes in one go, is that just the credits for the whole series?

Judge Dredd: Troublemaker by Gordon Rennie & Robin Smith
Now there's an unexpected credit card.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

sheridan

Quote from: nxylas on 20 November, 2022, 05:45:29 PM
Interesting. My understanding is that Bisley drew the first two episodes and Langley the rest. Does this mean they'll be publishing multiple episodes in one go, is that just the credits for the whole series?

Almost exactly what I was going to say (even down to "my understanding is that"...

Link Prime

Best line-up in a long, long time.

Has Warwick Fraser-Coombe worked on the Prog / Meg before?
Doesn't ring a bell.

Quote from: nxylas on 20 November, 2022, 05:45:29 PM

Could be that Clint was assigned a framing sequence pre-Biz artwork, it would give the series a bit more cohesion.

O Lucky Stevie!

Occam's Razor is suggesting that the first three episodes of Joe Pineapples are being printed in the Xmas prog. This wouldn't be the first time that this has happened.  I'm looking at you, The Fiends if the Wrstern Front.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Magnetica

Bonjo by Garth Ennis and Kev O'Neill. Presumably this is new. If so that's unexpected. I guess it is also, sadly the last new work we'll ever see in the Prog by O'Neill.

Robin Smith on Dredd. Can't say I ever expected to see new work by Robin Smith in 2000AD again.

New Rogue Trooper. I'm at the stage where I think they shouldn't revisit certain classic strips anymore. As well as Rogue you can add Ace Trucking and Robo-Hunter to the list.

lincnash

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 November, 2022, 07:22:14 PM
Bonjo by Garth Ennis and Kev O'Neill. Presumably this is new.
Yup!
Article is from SEPT '22 before Kev's passing.
https://www.thepopverse.com/garth-ennis-and-kevin-oneill-revive-the-forgotten-british-comics-character-bonjo-from-beyond-the-stars

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 November, 2022, 07:22:14 PMI'm at the stage where I think they shouldn't revisit certain classic strips anymore. As well as Rogue you can add Ace Trucking and Robo-Hunter to the list.
In agreement with you there ;-)

JayzusB.Christ

When Garth Ennis took over from John Wagner on Dredd / Gronk duties, I really hated that he was in the prog.  Now, he's kind of like Santa Claus - I get excited about his rare visits and the goodies he brings.

I'm glad it's him who'll accompany the last Kev O'Neill work that will ever grace the prog's pages.  Also, although I haven't hugely enjoyed a lot of Pat Mills' stuff over the last few years, it's a weird thought that this will probably be the last time we'll see him in the prog too.

Looking forward to the Christmas prog.

'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 21 November, 2022, 03:22:57 PM
Occam's Razor is suggesting that the first three episodes of Joe Pineapples are being printed in the Xmas prog.

The cold, detached reasoning of a Tin Man.

Yer probably right.

Jim_Campbell

Robin Smith on Dredd. Can't say I ever expected to see new work by Robin Smith in 2000AD again.

Apart from the Tharg story in the 45th anniversary prog earlier this year...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Apparently, the story is a tribute to Alan Grant, so it makes sense to use an old friend and collaborator.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

Quote from: nxylas on 24 November, 2022, 10:37:13 AM
Apparently, the story is a tribute to Alan Grant, so it makes sense to use an old friend and collaborator.

Hopefully this can be in B/W as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dash Decent

New Rogue Trooper.

I'm hoping they can collect all these up and give us another RT trade paperback sometime.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 November, 2022, 08:09:01 PM
When Garth Ennis took over from John Wagner on Dredd / Gronk duties, I really hated that he was in the prog.  Now, he's kind of like Santa Claus - I get excited about his rare visits and the goodies he brings.

I'm glad it's him who'll accompany the last Kev O'Neill work that will ever grace the prog's pages.  Also, although I haven't hugely enjoyed a lot of Pat Mills' stuff over the last few years, it's a weird thought that this will probably be the last time we'll see him in the prog too.

Looking forward to the Christmas prog.

This ^^^ plus a GRenniedroid Dredd, oh my poor heartsies
DDT did a job on me

Tjm86

New Rogue Trooper. I'm at the stage where I think they shouldn't revisit certain classic strips anymore. As well as Rogue you can add Ace Trucking and Robo-Hunter to the list.

Aside from the initial Verdus story, Robo-Hunter always left me cold.  Gibson's artwork was the only redeeming quality although Millar's run showed that nothing could redeem insanely bad writing.  Ace Trucking was a strip that I never got into, full stop.  I would have to place it below Slaine, a strip that benefitted from multiple insanely spectacular artists.

Rogue has however managed a number of semi-decent revivals over the years.  Granted some of the RT-verse strips are best left unspoken.  That was before the spectacular Jaegir.  Admittedly Coleby has delivered some amazing visuals, on a par with Wilson's or Gibson's work back in the day.  Perhaps this is in reference to the 90's strips that insult the intelligence of anyone who made the mistake of reading them (Mr Fleischer ...)?