Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

sheridan

2000AD Prog 208: "The destroyer's taken over Earth... only I can save it!"

You wait four years for a Redondo cover, then a couple come along.

Which Heller model will Johnny buy next?

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 February, 2020, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 21 February, 2020, 12:03:41 PM
2000AD Prog 206: Un-American Graffiti – Judge Dredd mounts a clean-up campaign... inside!

New prog, new characters - and this one has parents who head eggs into buckets and clean dishes.  Then dirty the dishes.  Then clean the dishes...

The prog where Deputy Chief Judge Pepper grows his leg back!

The blog posts tend to get published a few days after I read the prog and write the posts - the answer to Pepper's mysterious regrowing leg was published in Prog 211 - my post for this coming Thursday...

SpaceSpinner2000

I love this period in the prog! "The Steady State" I call it, it's Dredd, Mean Arena, Meltdown Man, Return to Armageddon, and Portrait of a mutant for like 4 months, crazy! Once they finish we start up-shifting for the full golden age, with the premiers of Rogue Trooper and Ace Trucking. Exciting times!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 24 February, 2020, 07:51:49 AM
I love this period in the prog! "The Steady State" I call it, it's Dredd, Mean Arena, Meltdown Man, Return to Armageddon, and Portrait of a mutant for like 4 months, crazy! Once they finish we start up-shifting for the full golden age, with the premiers of Rogue Trooper and Ace Trucking. Exciting times!

Definitely in a better place than it was a year or two earlier.  Despite my moaning about it, I do like Mean Arena - and while I remember the later episodes will let it down, the mid-series bits coming up with Steve Dillon should improve it!

Obviously I'm most excited by the upcoming Nemesis the Warlock book I.

Speaking of premiers of Nemesis...

2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1981 2000AD Reviewed! Tharg Photo-Stripped! Nemesis Revealed!

...where we get to see the warlock for the first time!  For the first time (because he'll also get a reveal scene in the progs).

sheridan

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sheridan on 25 February, 2020, 11:26:32 AMAlan Hebden and Belardinelli's Meltdown Man opens with Uncle Leo the yujee gypsy...

Watch for the moment that Leo suddenly becomes Louis in a few prog's time!
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 25 February, 2020, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 25 February, 2020, 11:26:32 AMAlan Hebden and Belardinelli's Meltdown Man opens with Uncle Leo the yujee gypsy...

Watch for the moment that Leo suddenly becomes Louis in a few prog's time!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 24 February, 2020, 12:02:42 PM

2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1981 2000AD Reviewed! Tharg Photo-Stripped! Nemesis Revealed!

I believe R. E. Wright was IPC's stock pseudonym so it can be anyone, really (it's usually someone else who's been heavily rewritten by Pat Mills, or Pat Mills rewritten by someone else, and some of the reprints in the 1982 Annual use it because it looks like no one could remember who actually wrote them at the time). And I think Southern Comfort is actually Alan Moore's very first attempt at writing a full length comic story - so it's been in the 'we've-paid-for-it-so-we've-got-to-use-it' drawer for a looong time.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 25 February, 2020, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 24 February, 2020, 12:02:42 PM

I believe R. E. Wright was IPC's stock pseudonym so it can be anyone, really (it's usually someone else who's been heavily rewritten by Pat Mills, or Pat Mills rewritten by someone else, and some of the reprints in the 1982 Annual use it because it looks like no one could remember who actually wrote them at the time). And I think Southern Comfort is actually Alan Moore's very first attempt at writing a full length comic story - so it's been in the 'we've-paid-for-it-so-we've-got-to-use-it' drawer for a looong time.

I did wonder about the pseudonym - and I don't think Alvin Gaunt has always had the same co-writer (I'm pretty sure Alan Grant was involved when that one was used, but that other person...)  It's pretty obvious that Southern Comfort is of a different 'vintage' to Abelard Snazz's first forays. 

sheridan

2000AD Prog 210: "FREEZE!" The body-snatchers catch a cold – inside!

I wonder if they drafted in Bolland to do this cover because he did the Forever Towers story?

sheridan

2000AD Prog 211: CRIME Dredd investigates the perp runners – inside!

The Mutant Army attacks Upminster (incidentally, this story is the first time I'd heard of the place Upminster, so it was a bit of a surprise when I saw it on a London Underground map years later).

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 27 February, 2020, 12:00:19 PM
The Mutant Army attacks Upminster (incidentally, this story is the first time I'd heard of the place Upminster, so it was a bit of a surprise when I saw it on a London Underground map years later).

Hmmm, I always thought Upminster was a pun on Westminster, just called 'Up-' instead of 'West-' because it was, y'know, up. Had no idea it was a real place!

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 February, 2020, 01:18:47 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 27 February, 2020, 12:00:19 PM

Hmmm, I always thought Upminster was a pun on Westminster, just called 'Up-' instead of 'West-' because it was, y'know, up. Had no idea it was a real place!

The exact reasoning which led to my being surprised by seeing it on the East end of the District line.