Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rately

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 August, 2020, 10:15:59 AM
Me again, Free Solo. I didn't realize how tense I was until the film finished and I noticed my palms were literally dripping with sweat and a bit tired from clenching. Some very NO WAY WHAT THE HELL shots in that film, especially for someone like me who gets dizzy up a small ladder.

Absolutely horrendous watch.

Some of the camera angles really should come with a viewer discretion warning.

Mardroid

The Crazies

Caught this on Amazon Prime. It's was directed by Romero, and this was a kind of zombie apocalypse film without actual zombies. In this case they're people who have become homicidally insane due to a virus infecting their water supply.

Interestingly the 'crazies' are different from the infected from 28 Days Later despite the similar premise. I.e. the infected in that film run around in a mindless rage, while the 'crazies' in this film show a degree of cunning, although they become more manic as the virus progresses.
It was pretty good.

Greg M.

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 August, 2020, 04:40:49 PM
The Crazies

Caught this on Amazon Prime. It's was directed by Romero, and this was a kind of zombie apocalypse film without actual zombies. In this case they're people who have become homicidally insane due to a virus infecting their water supply.
Top performances from future 'Dead' series actors Richard France and Richard Liberty.

CalHab

Out of Sight. I last watched this about twenty years ago and remembered it as an enjoyable heist movie with witty dialogue, likeable leads and a funky soundtrack. Somehow I completely forgot that Soderbergh did a really clever cut up of the timeline, which switches all over the place but remains completely clear. It really is an excellent piece of film-making, particularly when you consider how often that technique has been done badly by talented screenwriters and directors.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CalHab on 12 August, 2020, 10:57:48 AM
It really is an excellent piece of film-making, particularly when you consider how often that technique has been done badly by talented screenwriters and directors.

...which is one of the reasons why I treasure Soderbergh's take on Fury Road:

QuoteI just watched Mad Max: Fury Road again last week, and I tell you I couldn't direct 30 seconds of that. I'd put a gun in my mouth. I don't understand how [George Miller] does that, I really don't, and it's my job to understand it. I don't understand two things: I don't understand how they're not still shooting that film and I don't understand how hundreds of people aren't dead.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 August, 2020, 11:15:59 AM
Quote from: CalHab on 12 August, 2020, 10:57:48 AM
It really is an excellent piece of film-making, particularly when you consider how often that technique has been done badly by talented screenwriters and directors.

...which is one of the reasons why I treasure Soderbergh's take on Fury Road:

QuoteI just watched Mad Max: Fury Road again last week, and I tell you I couldn't direct 30 seconds of that. I'd put a gun in my mouth. I don't understand how [George Miller] does that, I really don't, and it's my job to understand it. I don't understand two things: I don't understand how they're not still shooting that film and I don't understand how hundreds of people aren't dead.

Perfect quote.

pictsy

Groundhog Day

This is my favourite Bill Murray, my favourite comedy and one of my top ten favourite films.  I love it.  It's great.  It's a joy to watch.  I love Phil's character arc in the film and the concluding day is so very satisfying.  I think it has a beautiful message in there.  The film makes me happy.

I also really like the suicide montage because I'm a little bit morbid and macabre.

Keef Monkey

The Crazies

Interestingly the 'crazies' are different from the infected from 28 Days Later despite the similar premise. I.e. the infected in that film run around in a mindless rage, while the 'crazies' in this film show a degree of cunning, although they become more manic as the virus progresses.
It was pretty good.

Hard to believe given how awful horror remakes tend to be, but I actually really liked the remake of The Crazies and thought it was a worthwhile watch in its own right. The Olyphant factor probably helped a great deal (I could probably watch him in just about anything) but as far as modern US horror movies go it's easily one of the better ones kicking about.

Rately

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 August, 2020, 11:29:10 PM
The Crazies

It was pretty good.

Hard to believe given how awful horror remakes tend to be, but I actually really liked the remake of The Crazies and thought it was a worthwhile watch in its own right. The Olyphant factor probably helped a great deal (I could probably watch him in just about anything) but as far as modern US horror movies go it's easily one of the better ones kicking about.

I've never seen the original, but thought the remake was excellent.

And I'm a massive fan of Timothy Olyphant! Especially his recent cameo in The Good Place. Great actor.

Around the time it came out, the director was linked to a rebooted Escape From New York. I wouldn't have held my breath for anything matching the original, especially that perfect ending, but if you dropped Timothy Olyphant in as Snake Plisken, i would have been quite hopeful of a decent movie.

Tiplodocus

The pitchfork bit was genuinely terrifying.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 12 August, 2020, 06:46:55 PM
Groundhog Day

This is my favourite Bill Murray, my favourite comedy and one of my top ten favourite films.  I love it.  It's great.  It's a joy to watch.  I love Phil's character arc in the film and the concluding day is so very satisfying.  I think it has a beautiful message in there.  The film makes me happy.

I also really like the suicide montage because I'm a little bit morbid and macabre.

One of the very best ever.  I love it so much.  Despite being set in February, it feels like a Xmas movie and it's just wonderful.

karlos

Anyone seen/planning ob aeeing new Netflix sorta superhero film, Project Power?

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 14 August, 2020, 01:34:36 PM
Despite being set in February, it feels like a Xmas movie and it's just wonderful.

Although it doesn't for, I can see where you are coming from with that.  A wintery feel good movie and all. 

pictsy

The Lost Boys

I thought this film was so cool when I watched it as a kid.  The railway bridge scene always stuck prominently in my mind.  I really loved this film.

Rewatching it, there is nothing remarkable about it.  If I was fresh to it today I would say it as an OK vampire film with some nice bits, but overall kinda dorky. 

Nevertheless, on this rare occasion nostalgia has won out.  I still really like it.  The film is very efficient with it's time and it seems like there might be more going on than actually does.  That made it enigmatic for me and is what probably hooked me as a child.

Rately

The Meg.

Christ. Where to start. I can enjoy B movies, and I can usually enjoy a Statham movie for the dumb action, ropey one-liners and unintentional laughs, but this was a movie that the Director, effects team, writers etc. seemingly had little enthusiasm or love for. Terrible performances all round, ropey effects that rendered the main creature looking like a tech demo for a new console launch, bizarre plotting and logic, weird cuts and framing and just a general sense of meh to the whole thing.

Really should have been a lot better, considering the people involved.