Main Menu

The new Eagles Dan Dare

Started by Jade Falcon, 23 January, 2012, 11:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Was this ever reprinted.  I know the New Eagle came in for some stick but for a while it wasn't really a bad comic, though I'm sure those that remember the original wouldn't be so favourable towards it.

I enjoyed the 'new' Dan Dare and while it retconned the original I remember the strip for a while was quite good with some beautiful artwork.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

maryanddavid

Never reprinted, scripted by Mills and Wagner, with Ian Kennedy glorious art. Worthy of a reprint for the Kennedy art alone. Im fairly sure there have been a few attempts to reprint it.

Tom Tully and Cruz took over on art duty sometime in 84 and continued on in decent enough adventures, until 87 or 88, someone decided it would be a good idea to put John Gillatt on art duties, good football artist, and I think he was the artist on Jet Ace logan in Tiger in the 60s but it just didnt work, the new DD was scrapped.

David

Colin YNWA

MAryanddavid is this down to that... was it Dan Dare Society or whatever that you mentioned in the Doomlord thread the other day. Are they really restrictive about what's allowed to be reprinted? Seems strange that they wouldn't try to see if they'd be worth reprinting given how well nostaglia stuff seems to do. I know I certainly get one.

James Stacey

I started reading the 'new' Eagle when it first came out and loved it. A reprint of Dare would be most welcome, as would The House of Daemon.

flintlockjaw

'Tower King' was a good bit of fun too. Fantastic art as well.

LARF

Computer Warrior was a great way of promoting video games, the many I bought from reading that strip was unreal.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: LARF on 24 January, 2012, 01:16:23 PM
Computer Warrior was a great way of promoting video games, the many I bought from reading that strip was unreal.

Was that the one that had among other things, the game "Rescue on Fractulus"?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

flintlockjaw

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 24 January, 2012, 04:35:40 PM
Quote from: LARF on 24 January, 2012, 01:16:23 PM

Was that the one that had among other things, the game "Rescue on Fractulus"?

Yep.

TordelBack

Rescue on Fractalus!  There's a blast from the past!  When I was reading the amazing SF computer-game bits in Iain Banks' Complicity, I always visualised the graphics from Fractalus. 

starscape

Yeah, I don't get why the new Eagle isn't more collectable (not in a monetary sense).  After dropping the photo-strips, it became a decent little read with Tower King, SOS, Billy's Boots etc. Later on, it reprinted MACH 1 and Charley's War. Not ground-breaking but a good fun comic, the like of which is sorely missed.

locustsofdeath!

Right before I left England I bought a collection of Eagles (about 200, I think) at a market and now that I'm resettled and unpacked I've started reading them.

Up until now I've only read Hibernia's Doomlord reprints, but I have to say these are great fun! It's a fun way to get back into 'being a kid' much like rereading old progs is.

maryanddavid

QuoteMAryanddavid is this down to that... was it Dan Dare Society or whatever that you mentioned in the Doomlord thread the other day. Are they really restrictive about what's allowed to be reprinted? Seems strange that they wouldn't try to see if they'd be worth reprinting given how well nostaglia stuff seems to do. I know I certainly get one.

They want to licence all right, but they put the same value on the Computer Warrior as on the original Dan Dare, making the lesser stories very expencive and they dont like anyone using any of their material without making money.  Someone from this forum(cant remember who) contcted me  few years ago, they were doing an article on Computer Warrior for  computer mag and needed a contact, they wanted to use a few images, they wouldnt allow it. I think eventually they did allow but after a few mails.

I never liked the Computer Warrior, coudnt afford a computer when I was a kid and I was always kinda jealous!!

Eric Plumrose

The relaunched EAGLE had something like five different versions of Dan all told; but yes, the best by far was the Mills/Kennedy combo. Copyright aside, the centre spreads and page count (three per episode) won't lend themselves easily to an attractive reprint package. Byrne had a good idea regarding how HEROS THE SPARTAN might be reprinted but Dan's third page would make it a hefty (and, presumably, expensive) tome.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 25 January, 2012, 03:52:01 PM
Byrne had a good idea regarding how HEROS THE SPARTAN might be reprinted[/url] but Dan's third page would make it a hefty (and, presumably, expensive) tome.

You always get sense out of that there John Byrne...

auxlen

the Kennedy Dare art was superb and i wasted many an hour trying to draw mekons. I also remember a flying shark on a chain lead....would like to see that again.