Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

The Killing Fields is an amazing and unforgettable film, and sadly a very accurate portrayal of horrific events. 

broodblik

I watch the latest Fast and Furious movie (version 9) and it has now become clear that the believe is to make the next one more over-the-top than the previous one.  The action has become such a ridiculous extravaganza that the movie as lost all its charm and excitement. The franchise is just one big illogical super-charged ludicrous event driven drivel that not even a video game can top that. This is a ha-ha movie but not in a funny way. I do not mind over-the-top action but please do not boost it for topping the previous action scene.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

pictsy

Thunder Force

Not as bad as I was expecting it to be.  It was fine.  I really liked the opening scenes.  Then it hits all the marks for a buddy comedy.  I like the premise.  There are a few good ideas in the film.  It doesn't really explore them all that much.  It's junk, but I could see myself watching it again.

Quote from: broodblik on 02 August, 2021, 09:08:44 AM
I watch the latest Fast and Furious movie (version 9) and it has now become clear that the believe is to make the next one more over-the-top than the previous one.

I thought this after watching 6.  I'm looking forward to how they explain Han coming back to life.  I bet it has something to do with family.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Dr Strange (second viewing)

Marvel movies are like fish suppers. You look forward to it, you consume it, you feel slightly queasy and guilty, you wonder why you did it... and then three or four months later you do it again.
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

Wally's Wonderland

This was a lot of fun.  I really enjoyed watching this.  I had my preconceptions about this film going in and it met them and surpassed them.  Cage is a delight.  I did wonder how he was going to Cage without talking, but he still manages a little Cagery.  Not too much, just a little.  It was the right amount for the film.  I love how the rest of the cast are just window dressing.  It manages to be like many other horror films and yet it stands apart and brings a lot that is new to the table.  I think I even laughed out loud more than once.

Yeah, I really liked this.  I hoped I would and I'm glad I do.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: pictsy on 05 August, 2021, 08:41:22 PM
Wally's Wonderland

This was a lot of fun.  I really enjoyed watching this.  I had my preconceptions about this film going in and it met them and surpassed them.  Cage is a delight.  I did wonder how he was going to Cage without talking, but he still manages a little Cagery.  Not too much, just a little.  It was the right amount for the film.  I love how the rest of the cast are just window dressing.  It manages to be like many other horror films and yet it stands apart and brings a lot that is new to the table.  I think I even laughed out loud more than once.

Yeah, I really liked this.  I hoped I would and I'm glad I do.

This film was a genuine pleasure.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

John Boorman's sword&sorcery comeback film has its strengths and faults (it's definitely superior to Ritchie's film for millennials), but I think it's worthwhile. The best elements are gorgeous, dreamlike visuals, sfx work is quite good (for its time - the early 80s), and it was nice to hear Carl Orff's music in. Swordfights are well filmed. Btw, it was also nice to see established actors in their earlier years (Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne, Patrick Stewart, and charming as always - Helen Mirren). Unfortunately, the content didn't work much for me. It wasn't the darker approach to Arthurian legends, but rather the contrived plot, if not darn confusing (although defo much easier to follow than Boorman's Zardoz) as if sundry and all Arthurian myths had crammed into a 2hrs film. The film loses a bit in the middle with all the search for Holy Grail. Characters are unsympathetic, Merlin and Arthur included. I get that Boorman perhaps tried to do the film with the flawed protagonists, but there is nothing remarkable about these people, and I find this to be the worst Nicol Williamson role to date. And the lines he utters are often ridiculous.
One thing I do find odd about the movie. It is the fact that Boorman filmed his daughter getting deceived into sex. I do not know another director who did that; technically she wasn't raped to speak of. Actually, Dario Argento did that in The Stendhal Syndrome. Now that movie is truly fucked up.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

The Legendary Shark

Black Widow. Sadly mediocre, in my view. Not crap, though - some okay moments - but not up to snuff.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

Rush

Ah... One of the best racing movies, with the enough plot and character development. And all based on real people. While i give it that the plot often strays away from the reality, sacrificed for dramatic purposes (like when Hunt beaten that arsehole journalist who asked funny question) , I must say they nailed really well the rivalry between Lauda and Hunt. Because this movie is all about these two characters. And I like how good the two racing legends were revitalized for the screen. Imo, pretty accurate and Chris Hemsworth nailed British accent. I like also how thoughtful is the dive into a racer psychology. Not many (good) racing movies out there lately. Ford v Ferrari is equally awesome. Still, if I have to pick the best, I would go with Steve McQueen's LeMans.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

The Suicide Squad named such because they are too embarrassed about the first film.

It was enjoyable and entertaining.  Probably the best first viewing experience of a James Gunn film I've had.  Idris is a delight and the highlight of the film (so much better than Will Smith).  Daniela Melchior was great as well.  Loved their characters and dynamic.  The rest of the cast do a good job in their respective roles.  I had a blast watching it, but I'm not sure how well it will stand up to repeat viewings.  I find I get less from Gunn's films the more times I watch them.  This film is very well crafted so it might be an exception to that rule.  Only time will tell.

It's also hilarious how much better this film is compared to it's predecessor.  It is an antithesis to the first film.

Hawkmumbler

THE SUICIDE SQUAD

Fine. Just, fine.

Link Prime

My quest to find every hidden horror gem on Amazon Prime and Netflix before finally giving in and permanently subscribing to Shudder continues; I discovered Cold Moon last night.

By no means the best horror I've seen this year, but it had a few thing going for it, cast included - the always excellent Frank Whaley (58) who's hairline retention will be a personal aspiration in the coming decade, an underused but great Christopher Lloyd and the first time a role was tailor made for Josh Stewart's "evil bastard face" - hey, he's probably a lovely guy in real life.
< Those eyes >

Another positive was the plot tempo - it moves along at a steady beat, answering questions quite quickly, and killing off cast members with visceral glee.
Some spooky Fx (the cycling ghost in particular) and a satisfying conclusion topped off an unexpectedly enjoyable hour and a half.

milstar

Yes Man

One of better Carrey films that isn't Ace Ventura or The Mask. Mildly entertaining with surprisingly some thoughtful messages. And Terence Stamp as the life guru. The ending is a bit corny as you can expect from a Hollywood movie, but it was alright. I might try "yes" philosophy; as I found my life dangerously near to Carrey's pre-yes phase.

milstar

CalHab

Kid Detective (2020). This was a fun comedy with some very dark turns. The protagonist is a former kid detective, as in he solved neighbourhood mysteries as a child, and it's set twenty years on and he's never moved on. The film leans heavily on noir tropes and parody of the genre. Not outstanding, but well worth watching.