Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I thought "I wonder what would happen if I searched The Google with the term <restaurant with toilets for seats>?"

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

We Have That Here!

Sometimes you want something familiar or maybe you just lack imagination or adventurousness.

The wife took a bit of a bug and wasn't fit to make it out for dinner for a couple of nights. Me being classy suggests an Uber Eats delivery to our hotel. Not wanting to risk 'that foreign muck'. I opted for a McDonalds. Here's me with a quarter pounder and cheese - note the classy paper bowl I've placed the grub in :

The wife in her weakened state whispered for a cheeseburger only. Alas the least the app would let me get was a 'cheese burger meal' which was two burgers and fries. Needless to say none of it went to waste.

There have been a rash of Tim Hortons opening up in Scotland - the must have heard of our love for all things unhealthy. I have two within a couple of miles of me here in Paisley. Not a fan though - those Timbits have nothing on a Greggs' pink jammy.

This was a needs must breakfast in Vancouver as we were getting an early morning train to the airport for our flight back to Seattle. The McMuffin or what ever they call it was fine but not as good as Micky Dee's. I did like the Greek yogurt with granola and berries and this whole lot was only about £10 for the two of us.

Proudhuff

You know I'm going to miss this ...
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 October, 2019, 04:14:30 PM
You know I'm going to miss this ...

Not for a long time yet you wont. Haven't even started on the snacks yet!

Pink Shirt Spells Deliciousness!

This one takes me back! Back to our first night in Seattle.After a 10 hour flight that allowed only major pigging out we wandered from our hotel to a local sports bar.

It was great - games from all sports on loads of TVs, dozens of draft beers and a menu of favourites such as these top notch natchos :

Plenty of toppings meant that even the chips at the bottom found something to lather themselves in. Some nice black beans and actual avocado popping out of the guacamole - that's health food right there.

A week later and the newly laundered pink polo makes another outing.

This time for that old classic chicken parmesan . This is a fried fillet of chicken covered in a nice tangy ragu with a tasty pasta - lovely. Nice decorative salad too.

Buttonman

Chips With That?

Canadians are mad for Poutine - it's their national dish. Of course I had to try it despite it being described as chips and cheese with beef gravy on top.

And that's exactly what it was! This was pretty good but not earth shattering and this was the only time we had it despite it being on every menu. Note modest chicken wings portion as a side dish.

Just time for a quick snack:

We had this monster cookie and snack at a small town in Oregon just beyond the town of Elsie where I stopped for a photo at the town's sign - Mother was touched!

Colin YNWA

You need to get your aides into better shape so they don't miss snatching that disposable cup off you next time.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 October, 2019, 05:02:05 PM
You need to get your aides into better shape so they don't miss snatching that disposable cup off you next time.

He was on holiday alone, except for a tripod and a timer.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

Nonsense Funt, the wife, or 'the long suffering wife' as she likes to be known,enjoys her leftovers!

Back to Basics

Sometimes you want to get away from all the fancy parms and McDonalds and have a good, old fashioned and familiar dinner.

Here's me with a tasty spag bol in The Dalles :

This was modest portion (children's menu?) but it was plenty and plenty good! Nice bit of sourdough garlic bread too!

In a similar vein, here are some tasty balls, meatballs to you:

Nearly a month down the line I have forgotten where they were eaten.I do remember that there were only three balls and that they were plenty big. They and the ubiquitous garlic bread were all eaten, you will be surprised to hear.

Buttonman

Time for the penultimate episode ahead of tomorrow's three picture special including some damn fine cherry pie.

As previously noted the wife took a bit sick so I had to Ubereats a couple of meals. This is a nice Kabob. That's how they spelled it.It was nice but too much for just little ole me...

The wife had to take this from her sick bed although that's no excuse for cropping off most of the grub. She was only able to eat a small piece of pitta so, and not for the first time, two kebabs (kebobs) had to be eaten by me.

This was a Subway in the town of Astoria - Heeeey yooou guuuys!

We got in a bit late and misjudged the restaurant closing times -early!

We went to the Subway and got some decent eats :

I rarely go to Subway as they ask too many questions and then the cheapskate in me makes me get too many fillings so the thing is a dense mishmash of the whole salad bar. Still $14, including drinks and chips, so it was a good 'un

Buttonman

Well, now it's time for the last post of this trip. What have we learned? Nothing. But that's hardly the point. Good dinners have sat aside poor desserts and vice versa. The only consistent factor is that I've gotten fatter.

To close up the shop let's go back to the Salish Lodge & Spa, the exterior location of Twin Peaks' Great Northern. This place was quite fancy with valet parking and cocktails on arrival. They didn't go overboard on their Twin Peaks connection but there was a Cooper cocktail in the bar and 'Damn Fine Cherry Pie' in the restaurant :

This was very nice. It lack a bit of authenticity by being self contained - in the show it was always a slice. They asked me if I wanted it 'a la mode' -being a traditionalist I said no and had cream instead. Disappointingly this was just a squirt of spray cream.

Next up we are off to Seaside, which is a coastal town in Oregon. This was a cracking sunny day and we ate out on their terrace.

This was a lovely fish finger sandwich with a chipolte mayo and sweet potato fries. The 'fish fingers' were like to fillets out of the chip shop. This may have been the best feed of the trip.

At the end of the holiday I remembered I had wanted to go to Cinnebon - this is a chain that sells cinnamon rolls and features in 'Better Call Saul' as Saul's post Breaking Bad employer. Happily one was in the nearby mall in Tukwila so off we went for take out. This big boy was $4.99 but very nice. The roll fell apart and there was ample icing. Only 880 calories too!

Thanks for joining me on this self indulgent road trip - see you at Christmas!

TordelBack

I don't know how or why or even what, but this has been as hypnotic as always. In the age of Twitsagram this thread is like watching a medieval scribe lovingly hand-copying a Michelin guide, if monks dosed themselves with that stuff Joker poisons Gotham with. Looking forward to your next venture!

Proudhuff

yeah, the sooner you're away the better  :wave:
DDT did a job on me

gurnard

always look forward to this thread during it's hiatus. Fantastic every time it returns.
Great stuff keep travelling and keep eating man, cheers.

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 October, 2019, 12:34:24 PM
yeah, the sooner you're away the better  :wave:

Less like this!

Quote from: gurnard on 16 October, 2019, 01:00:46 PM
always look forward to this thread during it's hiatus. Fantastic every time it returns.
Great stuff keep travelling and keep eating man, cheers.

More like this!

Proudhuff

I meant that in a caring way... ;)
DDT did a job on me