Main Menu

Prog 1431: Escape to Victory

Started by Max Kon, 20 March, 2005, 03:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Kon

This is a jolly good prog. Nice endings to Dredd, Dante and 2ndCB.

next weeks TSDM promisses to be action filled if this weeks ending is anything to go by.

Sin Dex was good. Though Dex was nowhere to bee seen. I like the way Finny was playing pong for 8 hours, and the hugenumber of fag ends piled up at his feet.

Dante returns in Prog 1433. Next week has the start of book 4 of the VCs. Dredd in Descent by Gordon and Boo. And the debut of American Gothic.

I really can't wait for that Debut.

Sadly no P14 of spleen venting this issue.

Pretty nice cover by MR JB. Though horseboy looks rather odd. But it's the style of cover i like most. And as soon as the cover is on the site it will be linked to bellow

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?Comic=2000ad&choice=1431" target="_blank">http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad

Steamboy

Max Kon

9:13pm Saturday when i posted that.

I got it yesterday morning.

janus stark

so should we expect to see
sly stallone in goal in this prog?

Max Kon

Banners

Lovely ending to Dredd, highlighting I guess what we as fans think - he's an authoritarian bastard but we love him too of course(!)

SCB was unpretentious enjoyable nonsense, although I was hoping for rather more from that cliff-hanger a few weeks ago.

TSDM is all guitar solo and no song. After such an excellent set-up, it's something of a shame that it's just become an extended fight scene, albeit an impressive one.

Another pun-based SinDex which is all about form, without narrative. High hopes for Simon Davis' imminent comeback which will hopefully signal a return to the solid story-telling and drama of a couple of years ago. Since them, SinDex has been strictly filler.

And Dante's always a delight. So - glad this seems to be back in a semi-regular way.

M@

The Amstor Computer

Bah. My computer died on me at the weekend, so here's a mega-grumpy, mega-short review from a friend's machine...

Dredd - ace

SCB - bland crap that went on far too long

TSDM - weakening after a decent start

Sin/Dex - awful. The same "amusing" one-off DAbnett has been writing for years, and pish art to boot

Dante - odd end to an OK story. Gone off Burns' art in a big way.

The VCs next prog? Oh. Joy.

philt

The Vc's? Are coming back? Say it ain't so...
Presumably we're not too fair away from the Spring reboot?  

I've two questions - why is Sinster Dexter still in the weekly? Related to this how does tharg know what is popular or not? Recently there have been mutterings from TMO that the views on the board here are a minority. Which is fair enough but since the demise of the top thrills form how else does he track what is popular and what isn't?

Funt Solo

Farking good question:  mayhap tis a mixture of feedback from here, letters, emails, other internet sources and pure unbridled experience and intuition.

TMO did say in an interview that he valued the feedback here, partly because it was almost instant, with the caveat or recognising that this is a relative minority of the readership.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Slippery PD

Dredd - Nice in a Dredd is a nice guy way
SCB - Not bad, not good.  But quite bland, not sure about the next series.
TSDM - Im just hoping its an elongated preview or book 1.  Theres promise in there, but it seems to be hidden amongst a stylish fight...
Sin/Dex - is almost unreadable
Dante - bit of a drab ending, better than the last effort.  Id prefer Si back on art duties or someone more "cartoony"....

Slips

Funtwangle

dred rocked like a biscuit
sindex made me lol
id like some words in tiger blah so i can tell whos what and why
scb was great oldschool stuff for the kids
loved it
dante still the best in prog

Roger Godpleton

Great prog this week. Katooie percentages with every review

Cover: Fairly typical Brashill image, logo obscured. OK 53%

Dredd: Very good, a great script that could of been mawkish and sentimental, but wasn't at all, Gibson's art ain't his best, but it's nice and colourful. Probably the best Dredd this year so far ( And next week we get Boo!!!!).54%

SCB: Now, if we'd have 13 episodes of this type of lunacy, as opposed to Byker Grove in the future, SCB would of been a lot more enjoyable as a whole. Pleece's art seemed to peak fairly close to the start, and has looked slightly ropey for a lot of the story. I would like to see more Pleece if he can replicate the quality seen in some episodes and in his work elsewhere.52%

TSDM: Another story that's improved this week. The reliance on hack and slash has looked like lazy storytelling in other episodes, but it seems like Parkhouse has found his stride at last. I'm now concerned at how he'll fit in the fight with a dragon, the hypnotized love interest fight, requisite moping and "I'll find these bastards and kill them" into 10 pages (I'm presuming we'll get a double-length finale?)51%

Sin/Dex: A complete waste of time, one very poor joke stretched extremely thin. And what was the point of the hairdresser crap? Plus I've never liked John McCrae art. 50%

Dante: The Best Thing In The Prog. All the characters were really well developed, the art is much better than the usual Burns murkiness, as with Dredd the "regretfulness" stuff could of been cheesy and soporific, but was handled with skill, especially the confrontation with Lulu. I really hope Lauren doesn't get put into a refrigerator in future stories, as she's a character with potential. 55%

Overall: 80%

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JTurner

Dredd really is the best thing at the moment, this was a great story.

This second City Blues is the only one I've read, and to be honest I'm glad I didn't waste my time on earlier episodes. Really bland stuff for a younger audience.

TSDM, gratuitous use of tits and blood really put me off this. And why was it not set in a totally new world. This was more of a dissapointment than SSB because it promised so much more.

Sin Dex. I agree with the krust, this was a one page joke that wasn't even funny. We've seen this too many times before in SinDex.

Dante. At last. After treading water, the story actually gets going agin. The characters in this world only work when they're being driven by an epic storyline. Recently I've felt that Dante was going the way Babylon 5 did after the close of the Shadow War episodes, but the business with Lulu has kicked something off, just hope it lasts.

Lord Running Clam

The cover was alright but the goofy horse teeth ruined it some-what.

Dredd-Both art and story were injoyable and ended well.

SCB-In my mind the best episode done so far.I--d only want theem to bring it back though if they could keep it as loony.

TSDM-I hope this is just the first part of the story or its going to be abit of a waste.
The arts nice and it cracking along at a nice pace.

SD-Didn't really care for the art or story much.A waste of 5 pages really.

Nikolai Dante-The last part reallys seemed to go off the boil.The kiddnapping had no real reason apart for causing the show down with Lulu.

The prog this week was average.
Looking forward to the start of American Gothic next week.

Generally Contrary

I have to say; I haven't read the prog yet, and I haven't read this thread, but for some reason I was struck with a wave of happiness that we might be discussing the highlight of Michael Caine's career.

Link: http://www.thespinningimage.co.uk/cultfilms/displaycultfilm.asp?reviewid=515" target="_blank">Escape the Victory