Main Menu

I am a smoker, but I refuse to smoke!

Started by LARF, 01 April, 2008, 12:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Tried it once when I was young, and that put me right off.

I can sort of understand cigars, but it still doesn't appeal.

My Auntie smoked and she got mouth cancer in her old age. My uncle worked on the railways and working mens clubs were thick with smoke whenever I had to go in there, it was like the fucking smokatorium.

I still can't get used to going out and my clothes not stinking of fags afterwards - although it's a bit weird when half the table up and leave every so often.

- Steve

Devons Daddy

a tale to share of smoking. with a good ending.

when i was 18 my father a smoker, but not a big earner.offered to pay for a trip to London for me. to find a job.
he stopped smoking completely for two weeks. put the money in a tin and at the end of the fortnight. gave me the money.

i got a cheap return bus ticket to London. stayed at  a youth hostel.
knocked on every hotels personnel dept,from the strand to marble arch.
got offered a few posts as a commie cook. took one.
when i was 25 years old.i was a 3rd hotel officer culinary,aboard QE2,
my father and mother came aboard FREE! went to the cocktail parties,dined like kings,stayed in new york for three days and returned to blighty on the QE2.
whilst on board i would join them for dinner in full officer attire.my postman father and factory worker mother,sat with landed gentry,
whilst my father proudly told of how he stopped smoking  for that period.offering me my start on a long road of fine culinary arts.
not a bad investment he felt.

he smokes still but far less.
they are now looking forward to joining their son the Executive chef of culinary operations in the coming months aboard the HAL amsterdam.

stop smoking save the money,do something small for the family.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Pete Wells

Yay, well done Larf!!! I'm with Buttonman here, I really can't see the joy.

I read with interest when Mikey said it tastes nice 'cos honestly, when a smoker gets right up close, aw man, it's horrible. Snogging a smoker is vile too! It's mentally expensive and it kills ya to boot.

My lovely mam smoked when she was younger and then spent years helping out a chain smoking old woman who was our neighbour. I'm sure you guessed it, lung cancer got her too.

TordelBack

Peter Wolf

I know of someone who literally smoked their legs off.This individual may have been predisposed to having poor circulation in their legs not to mention their poor diet.This person was a heavy smoker who smoked B+H at the time.Slowly the arteries in their legs became more and more blocked.He never went to the doctors to see what the problem was.Eventually his foot became gangrenous on one leg.Eventually he went to the doctors and the doctor said that his leg was the worst case of Gangrene ever seen.The doctor pleaded and pleaded for him to stop smoking to have a chance of saving the other leg.This fell on deaf ears of course.Off came the other leg.

He still smokes to this day and is now legless.

Insanity.

"Well i wont have to work again !"

Well not when there is a welfare state to pay your way because of your self inflicted stupidity.

I dont like smoky atmospheres but then i dont like air born particulates and pollution and smog from cars etc either.Thats just as bad if not worse than tobacco.

Give or take a year or 2 and i will stop but now is not a good time.Thats not an excuse or it is but its more habit than addiction in my case.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Roger Godpleton

One of my libertarian friends thought that he had to smoke or Ron Paul would come and kill or something.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mikey

"Snogging a smoker is vile too"

Well I never suggested that,sir!I'll have you know I'm a happily co habiting heterosexual.I'll not smoke in your pubs,but don't come out after me expecting loose moral fibre!

But,yeah,I'm a social pariah.In my own defence,I'd be fairly certain I don't stink a fegs either,as many work colleagues have been surprised when they found out I smoked as they had never smelled it on me.

I'm quite relieved no one has suggested that I crash into bus queues yet.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Tanky

I quit through the NHS and I'm currently taking Champix tablets and they are amazing. They are supposed to close down the receptors in your brain, you just don't think about fags at all. There are some side effects, but none as bad as the weed.

Ah, now that's something I'd like some more info on. Can anyone get them or do some medical conditions 'not go with them'? Do they make you jump through hoops to get the things? What side effects?
Feel free to bung the answers in an e-mail if you'd rather not post them, but I'd really like to know! The last time I spoke to my doctor about giving up she put me in the world's most unsupportive support group. You'd think that if the powers that be are so bent on turning smoking into The Most Evil Thing Ever, they'd make it easier to get off the bloody things!

Pete Wells

"Well I never suggested that,sir!I'll have you know I'm a happily co habiting heterosexual.I'll not smoke in your pubs,but don't come out after me expecting loose moral fibre!"

Dammit Mikey, I've been building up to that for ages, you little tease!

Floyd-the-k

good stuff Larf! I stopped 11 year ago and have never regretted it.  I still put aside some of the money I save and spend it on guilt-free indulgences like 2000ad

keep it up - I look forward to seeing you being fragrant at a comic con one of these days

House of Usher

Floyd in the UK! You must come and visit your sister early May one year and pop over to Bristol to meet us all!
STRIKE !!!

Noisybast

Seconded! Get yer antipodean ass over here, banana-boy!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

House of Usher

© Adam Kofordhttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/HouseofUsher1/544BigButts.jpg">
STRIKE !!!

Tweak72

6 weeks and counting for me. well done to all quitters.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Floyd-the-k

It will happen one of these days...I fear the wrath of my unvisited sister!

Smoking is fun; it's a quick satisfaction of a craving, you relax by breathing deeply and it feels cool. The feeling of coolness is totally irrational, but so are all feelings of coolness.
  But these rewards are outweighed by the disadvantages; prospect of dying earlier and more painfully than you'd like, money going up in smoke, smelling bad, harming those around you.
   It took me for bloody ever to stop. When I finally did it, it was a combination of nicotine patches (I was on them for nine months and cut them up with scissors to reduce the strength every three months), prayer (I prayed for two weeks beforehand) and a challenge (my best mate bet me five bucks I couldn't do it for a year. I've never smoked since). Fear helped too, since I mixed smoking and patches one night and woke up with a terrifying heart rush. Possibly lust, since I got a new girlfriend shortly after quitting. and, as I said before, money.

all the best!

yours, wanting to get his antipodean ass over there