Main Menu

British Library to stage exhibition on comics

Started by Colin Zeal, 23 January, 2014, 10:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

So who's going to be at the Beyond 2000ad talk on Monday and are we up for a pint after?

I'm heading down tomorrow and doing the exhibition Monday morning.

Large48

Think a few of us are in the Euston Tap (hopefully I'm correct) - 2 mins away before the event.

What to take to get signed though......

P.S. the Bryan Talbot et al one was good.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Mikey

Howdy! Me and Mrs Mikey will be there for tomorrow evening's talk. If you spot a bald dude with a greying goatee beard from Norn Ireland, say hello-I've no idea what anyone looks like!

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SuperSurfer

I'll be there. Going to be a bit of a rush to get there for the start. Happy to go for a drink after but that depends on how much work I get done today.

judgerufian

Everyone needs T-shirts with their forum name or badges with their avatars for the more subtle and observant.

SuperSurfer

I'll be fully decked out in biotronic stickers.

sheridan

Well, that was good.  Great to meet up with everyone at the Euston Tap afterwards (and between Contingents).

judgerufian

Great talk, some good laughs from Dave Gibbons and Fraser Irving and always interesting history from Pat Mills.

Would have been interesting to get the views of the current staffers on the prog as the talk covered 2000ad and beyond but no complaints, its a pity these dont happen more often at places other than conventions (always seem to be busy when they come around)!

Apologies I couldnt make the drinks before or after!

matty_ae

Good to met some of the board members.
I only remember the names of Simon (Sbelmont) who I already knew and Lady Festina, so clearly I'm sexist.

In the exhibition shop they sold Zenith greetings cards and the cover to titan book 4 was also a postcard.
The display app had digitised version of Tyranny Rex so I'd imagine that's a clue that its in the works somewhere.

I agree the talk had the Classic Creators (Gibson & Mills), the third wave (Irving) but nobody from the second wave or today. It was flippant & fun.

Most impressive was the attendance - a nearly full room.

Dandontdare

had a great few days in London. The exhibition was intelligently curated and the items in it were well chosen and well explained, I just wished there was more of it. The talk was very good - it went over a lot of old ground but I still learned a few things I didn't know and Mills & Gibbons are very funny together, they should go on the road as a double act. Frazer Irving was  little left out of some of the discussions (as he was not even reading the comic at the time, if he'd actually been born!).

The hall was almost full and there was a good attendance from boarders of this parish - beers were had.

I also managed brief visits to the British Museum and the Tate modern, saw Adam "Jack Sparrow" Ant at a street fest in Soho, and saw Ian Brown at Euston on the way back!

Frank

Albion

The exhibition was good and very interesting but I would've liked to have seen a few more pages of original art.
One of the most surprising bits on display was a comic written by Bob Monkhouse where a superhero called Tornado was fighting giant penises!

The talk was great fun and Dave Gibbons was impressed by my Prog 1 t-shirt and told me he had recently found his space spinner.  :D

Visiting the Euston Tap with fellow fans before and after was excellent.

I also visited the Cartoon Museum and I have to say I enjoyed that more than the Comics Unmasked exhibition.
Their current exhibition is on World War 1 and the original pages from Charley's War that were on display were a joy to see.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Albion on 10 July, 2014, 12:13:49 PM

Visiting the Euston Tap with fellow fans before and after was excellent.

I also visited the Cartoon Museum and I have to say I enjoyed that more than the Comics Unmasked exhibition.
Their current exhibition is on World War 1 and the original pages from Charley's War that were on display were a joy to see.

Two of my top London visiting spots there - if you're about this weekend I think it'll be pint-time at the Tap for sure, if only to nip across the road to the CIDER TAP....

Albion

I thought of you when I was in the Euston Tap on Monday CFM.

If I was in the beer one and you were in the Cider Tap would we have to shout at each other across the road for a conversation, communicate by text or hand signals, flags etc.... or can we wander over with drinks in hand?
:D
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

CrazyFoxMachine

They've previously told me that's alright actually. Bonus!