Main Menu

Galaxy Quest TV show?

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 01 August, 2015, 02:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is Star Trek spoof Galaxy Quest to return as a TV series? The original writer appear to be penning the Pilot so 'By Grabthars Hammer... what a savings.' if true.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/galaxy-quest-tv-series-works-790532?utm_source=twitter
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

COMMANDO FORCES

It was mentioned in April, when it came to light.

blackmocco

I love Galaxy Quest, but I'd rather have an actual new Star Trek show, given the choice. It's time now. TV's changed enough since the last bollocks that we could get something great. Hannibal's Bryan Fuller has been chomping at the bit to helm a new one the last few years.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

The problem is that Galaxy Quest's main joke was ripping on Trek, and thanks to the epic stupidity of the Trek reboot movies, there's nowhere left for GQ to go, even if only because they already made a GQ show on tv with Star Trek: Enterprise - Alien doctor, laid-back stoner engineer who shags odd aliens, hammy lead actor typically typecast in sci-fi shows because of his lack of range, young black pilot, sexy lady whose only contribution to stories is to answer the space-phone, and even a huge reptilian alien antagonist out to secure a superweapon with which to conquer the galaxy.
Having said that, having an act comprised entirely of dated material that's no longer funny hasn't stopped Tim Allen doing four series and counting of Last Man Standing.

Quote from: blackmocco on 01 August, 2015, 03:08:53 PMI love Galaxy Quest, but I'd rather have an actual new Star Trek show, given the choice.

Out next week, I'm not sure how it's supposed to go to series, but Star Trek Renegades is an "independent" (fan-funded and made) pilot featuring the ongoing adventures of Chekov from the Original Series, the Borg kid from Voyager, the Cardassian kid from DS9 that one time, and the human version of the Doctor from Voyager, because someone apparently thought this was a good idea.  I won't be sarcastic about what a tired idea for a series this is beyond this point, because I would be lying if I tried to pretend I won't watch the fuck out of it.  It maybe looks a bit too stagey and Babylon 5-y, but it might plug the hole in post-TNG continuity adventures that isn't being catered for by TOS fan-series like Star Trek Continues/New Voyages/Phase 2.

Also a bit Babylon 5-y looking is Star Trek Axanar, which stars some Enterprise regulars and tells the story of the Earth/Romulan war, though however impressive the CGI work gets - and it's often in the "very" category - it's still quite clearly been shot in someone's garage.  I don't care, though - Gary Graham is in it and I'll watch anything he's in on the offchance they do a Robot Jox reference.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 01 August, 2015, 05:30:16 PM
The problem is that Galaxy Quest's main joke was ripping on Trek, and thanks to the epic stupidity of the Trek reboot movies, there's nowhere left for GQ to go, even if only because they already made a GQ show on tv with Star Trek: Enterprise - Alien doctor, laid-back stoner engineer who shags odd aliens, hammy lead actor typically typecast in sci-fi shows because of his lack of range, young black pilot, sexy lady whose only contribution to stories is to answer the space-phone, and even a huge reptilian alien antagonist out to secure a superweapon with which to conquer the galaxy.

Repeats of Futurama should do the trick.

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 01 August, 2015, 05:30:16 PMGary Graham is in it and I'll watch anything he's in on the offchance they do a Robot Jox reference.

Which now has a special edition blu-ray

Professor Bear

The blu-ray is region-encoded for North America only, unfortunately.  As with much of SF's cult re-releases, it's also not a HD remaster but a transfer from archive HD masters, meaning that online pirate copies are as good - if not sometimes better - in terms of audio/video quality.  Also no Gary Graham commentary, which is bullshit - he makes like ten Star Trek fan movies a year, so don't try to tell me he doesn't have the time or inclination to revisit his earlier work.

blackmocco

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 01 August, 2015, 05:30:16 PM
Out next week, I'm not sure how it's supposed to go to series, but Star Trek Renegades is an "independent" (fan-funded and made) pilot featuring the ongoing adventures of Chekov from the Original Series, the Borg kid from Voyager, the Cardassian kid from DS9 that one time, and the human version of the Doctor from Voyager, because someone apparently thought this was a good idea.  I won't be sarcastic about what a tired idea for a series this is beyond this point, because I would be lying if I tried to pretend I won't watch the fuck out of it.  It maybe looks a bit too stagey and Babylon 5-y, but it might plug the hole in post-TNG continuity adventures that isn't being catered for by TOS fan-series like Star Trek Continues/New Voyages/Phase 2.

Also a bit Babylon 5-y looking is Star Trek Axanar, which stars some Enterprise regulars and tells the story of the Earth/Romulan war, though however impressive the CGI work gets - and it's often in the "very" category - it's still quite clearly been shot in someone's garage.  I don't care, though - Gary Graham is in it and I'll watch anything he's in on the offchance they do a Robot Jox reference.

Yeah, saw some of these. Axanar in particular looks like fun, but ideally I'd just love to see a new show a la TNG. Set it another 100 years ahead, get a new cast, and less ass-kissing to what's come before.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 01 August, 2015, 06:10:32 PM
The blu-ray is region-encoded for North America only, unfortunately.  As with much of SF's cult re-releases, it's also not a HD remaster but a transfer from archive HD masters, meaning that online pirate copies are as good - if not sometimes better - in terms of audio/video quality.

Region locks don't bother me but the only true HD torrents of Robot Jox have appeared since the release of the blu-ray; previously it was all DVD/VHS or low gb TV rips. No one's gonna pay the small fortune it would cost to clean-up/remaster the original negatives for this film - if they exist - because they'd never make their money back so this is likely the best we'll get. Apart from the grainy intro the image looks very clean and sharp.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: blackmocco on 01 August, 2015, 03:08:53 PM
Hannibal's Bryan Fuller has been chomping at the bit to helm a new one the last few years.

Michael Dorn has been loudly telling anyone who will listen that he really wants to make a Captain Worf show. I would watch the shit out of that, but unfortunately Paramount/CBS are not included in the list of people that listen to Michael Dorn.

When you say a Galaxy Quest series, is it meta stuff about the actors' lives after the show, or would it be the actual show itself?
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

That is the key question, isn't it? I envisage a Lost-style thing with the cast marooned on the ship gradually adapting to becoming the crew, intercut with budget saving flashbacks to their 'real' lives.

Also, ST:Worf would be high on my watch-list. As Roddenberry found with TNG, it's all very well to send your cast off into the unexplored void on an indefinite mission of discovery, but what the writers and the budgetmen and even the fans want to do is head back to familiar territory almost immediately. Worf could handle that easily.