Main Menu

“Truth? You can't handle the truth!”

Started by The Legendary Shark, 18 March, 2011, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: Credo! on 01 May, 2023, 05:38:22 PMHe has asked us to swear allegiance to him and his descendants, so - y'know - a little bit power mad, there.
The most contentious clause in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 was that government employees in the newly created Irish Free State had to take an oath of allegiance to Chucky Three's great-grandad.
My own grandad was disinclined to take such an oath, which resulted in jail time and a somewhat stalled career.

(Don't we need a dedicated Coronation thread? There's a world of fun just waiting to be had.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

"In 1935, the Congress of American Writers was held in New York City, followed by another two years later. They called on 'the hundreds of poets, novelists, dramatists, critics, short story writers and journalists' to discuss the 'rapid crumbling of capitalism' and the beckoning of another war. They were electric events which, according to one account, were attended by 3,500 members of the public with more than a thousand turned away.

"Arthur Miller, Myra Page, Lillian Hellman, Dashiell Hammett warned that fascism was rising, often disguised, and the responsibility lay with writers and journalists to speak out. Telegrams of support from Thomas Mann, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, C Day Lewis, Upton Sinclair and Albert Einstein were read out.

"The journalist and novelist Martha Gellhorn spoke up for the homeless and unemployed, and 'all of us under the shadow of violent great power'.

"Martha, who became a close friend, told me later over her customary glass of Famous Grouse and soda: 'The responsibility I felt as a journalist was immense. I had witnessed the injustices and suffering delivered by the Depression, and I knew, we all knew, what was coming if silences were not broken.'

"Her words echo across the silences today: they are silences filled with a consensus of propaganda that contaminates almost everything we read, see and hear. Let me give you one example:

"On 7 March, the two oldest newspapers in Australia, the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, published several pages on 'the looming threat' of China. They coloured the Pacific Ocean red. Chinese eyes were martial, on the march and menacing. The Yellow Peril was about to fall down as if by the weight of gravity..."

Full article: John Pilger on the Coming War. Speak Up, Now.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JWare on 01 May, 2023, 05:56:04 PM
Quote from: Credo! on 01 May, 2023, 05:38:22 PMHe has asked us to swear allegiance to him and his descendants, so - y'know - a little bit power mad, there.
The most contentious clause in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 was that government employees in the newly created Irish Free State had to take an oath of allegiance to Chucky Three's great-grandad.
My own grandad was disinclined to take such an oath, which resulted in jail time and a somewhat stalled career.

(Don't we need a dedicated Coronation thread? There's a world of fun just waiting to be had.)

Lady Victoria Hervey says she would have all anti-monarchist protesters put in jail before the coronation. On GBeebies, like you couldn't guess.

Lady Victoria Hervey? Lady Wanktoria Hervey more like.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 May, 2023, 04:08:17 PMLady Victoria Hervey? Lady Wanktoria Hervey more like.
Another Irish rogue who needs to be taught his place!
Seize him!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 May, 2023, 04:08:17 PMLady Victoria Hervey says she would have all anti-monarchist protesters put in jail before the coronation. On GBeebies, like you couldn't guess.
Hitler's plans for a successful invasion of Great Britain included reinstalling the Nazi sympathiser Edward VIII as a puppet monarch to rule on his behalf. Hervey's comments give a glimpse into what life under such a regime would have been like.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JohnW

And so the thread is elegantly returned to where it belongs: among shadowy ruling cabals, alternate history, and dastardly Nazi schemes.
Neatly done, Nxylas.
(oh yeah – and to add an extra layer of villainy, Hitler's preferred candidate for collaborationist PM was Lloyd George, the Welsh Wizard himself)

As for Chucky Three and his Magical Hat, I really do think it deserves a thread of its own. I'd start it myself, but given that I'm a base foreigner whose forebears wilfully shunned the radiance bestowed by monarchy, you might think I was taking the piss.

The Legendary Shark

Members of both Houses of Parliament are required by law to take an oath of allegiance to the Crown. MPs cannot take their seat, speak in debates, vote or receive a salary until taking the oath or affirmation. They could also be fined £500 and have their seat declared vacant "as if they were dead" if they attempted to do so.

The wording of the oath comes from the Promissory Oaths Act 1868. The form and manner of giving the oath are set out in the Oaths Act 1978. MPs take the oath by holding the sacred text in their uplifted hand and saying the words of the oath: "I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King Charles, his heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."

You vote for them, but their loyalty is not to you. For a crown that professes not to interfere with parliamentary business, this is pretty heavy-handed interference.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 02 May, 2023, 06:41:40 PMMembers of both Houses of Parliament are required by law to take an oath of allegiance to the Crown. MPs cannot take their seat, speak in debates, vote or receive a salary until taking the oath or affirmation.

This often cited as the reason for Sinn Féin's abstention policy. The other reason being they don't think British people should be influencing Irish affairs so it would be a bit hypocritical if they did vice versa.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JWare on 02 May, 2023, 05:54:22 PMAs for Chucky Three and his Magical Hat, I really do think it deserves a thread of its own. I'd start it myself, but given that I'm a base foreigner whose forebears wilfully shunned the radiance bestowed by monarchy, you might think I was taking the piss.

A bit of respect from the colonies at last!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JWare on 01 May, 2023, 05:56:04 PMThe most contentious clause in the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921 was that government employees in the newly created Irish Free State had to take an oath of allegiance to Chucky Three's great-grandad.

Of course having previously removed the oath of allegiance in 1932, and never one to miss an opportunity, de Valera futher dismantled the Free State Constitution and Anglo-Irish Treaty by using the opportunity of political delay presented by the abdication of King Edward (and the recently passed Statute of Westminster 1931) to pass legislation that removed the monarchy from the internal affairs of the Free State. The next year a new Constitution of Ireland, with a President, was approved by the people. Further cemented in 1949 with the Republic removing the king from all external affairs and head of state.

A great example of using the constitutional monarchy of empire against itself.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 May, 2023, 04:08:17 PMLady Victoria Hervey says she would have all anti-monarchist protesters put in jail before the coronation. On GBeebies, like you couldn't guess.

Never heard of them.

Quote from: LadyVictoriaHerveyIt's so bad being homeless in winter. They should go somewhere warm like the Caribbean where they can eat fresh fish all day."

Oh.

JohnW

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 May, 2023, 02:57:09 PM
Quote from: JWare on 01 May, 2023, 05:56:04 PMMy own grandad was disinclined to take such an oath, which resulted in jail time and a somewhat stalled career.
Of course having previously removed the oath of allegiance in 1932, and never one to miss an opportunity, de Valera futher dismantled the Free State Constitution and Anglo-Irish Treaty

...By which time Grandad had a good job with the ESB, so that's alright then. As a lifelong de Valera fanboy, his youthful troubles during the Civil War stood him in good stead, careerwise.
It amazes me how that generation of ultra-respectable churchgoing men and women who tut-tutted about the immoral youth of the 1970s almost all had prison records for offences against the state.
If they were still with us they'd be railing against King Charles – not because of ancient wrongs done in his ancestors' name, but because he's divorced, the shameless so-and-so.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JWare on 03 May, 2023, 03:34:26 PM...By which time Grandad had a good job with the ESB, so that's alright then. As a lifelong de Valera fanboy, his youthful troubles during the Civil War stood him in good stead, careerwise.

And Ireland had a Latin-American President before the US.

Dandontdare

At least Charlie and his heirs have helped Disney in their war against Obergruppenfuehrer DeSantis Disney v DeSantis dispute hinges on clause referencing King Charles III