Main Menu

Ending an Ebay auction early...

Started by skurvy, 17 August, 2007, 04:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skurvy

A potential buyer has contacted me about one of my auctions and asked me to name my price and end the auction early. This seems bad form to me, particularly as bidding has started, so I'm going to refuse. But I just wondered what the general opinion of this kind of eBay shenanigan is?

Richmond Clements

Any time that's happened to me I've just ignored the 'offer'. They want to buy it they can bid like everyone else.

Funt Solo

I'm against it on principal.  

(The principal that I'll probably get more money if I let everyone bid till the end.)

If you don't like that principal, I have others.  (Ba-dum tish.)

Funt Marx
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

skurvy

Hmmm, good point actually. Especially as I have 20 (count 'em) watchers.

House of Usher

The only time I've ever ended an auction early at a bidder's request was on an occasion where there was only one bidder and I was glad to sell the item in question, and the offer was a good one - it was a brand new cheap lightshade, not a rare collectable, and I think I made a pound more than I would have if I had insisted the auction ran its full duration.
STRIKE !!!

Buddy

Ask for a ridiculous amount to end the auction, if he wants it that bad he'll pay it.

Buttonman

I've ended one with a car before and it's hard to see how to avoid it. The guy shows up for a test drive and makes an offer, afer a bit of haggling a price is agreed. You could hardly then say 'Good luck with the bidding'.

A friend had me sell the hard top roof for his BMX (he crashed it with the roof off) and the starting price was £500. A guy offered £550 to 'buy it now' after consulting closed auctions I said I'd take £650 and never heard back. It ended up going for £670.

Clearly people are looking for a deal on the cheap and should be told to bog off. If however a good offer is made and there is little interest (ie few watchers) I'd be inclined to take it. Bird in the hand and all that.

Incidentally with my car I ended the auction early and eBay didn't charge their final value fee. I wasn't intentionally avoiding it and did my best to go through the right channels. Seems to be a loophole in their system that lets cash deals avoid their fees.

Trout

skurvy

House of Usher

A friend had me sell the hard top roof for his BMX

Would that be BMW by any chance?
STRIKE !!!

Buttonman

No BMX is right, it was a time bike from the future with a roof, flux capacitor and bottle holder.

Trout

"They just didn't suit me"

Oooooooh! You big girl!

- Trout

ThryllSeekyr

Somethings, that I might be putting up on Ebay Some time.

Rogue Trooper and Judge Dredd Vs Death Playstation Two games. NTSC ( Made only for America and Canada and of no use to anybody in Australia and the UK.)

Slaine : Book of Invasions Moloch and Golamh.
Graphic novels. Two Copies. ( Yes, two copies of the same book, which means I really have three copies. But only two are for sale. There is a bit of story behind why I own so many of the same book.) Not mint, but still good condition. One has slight damage to the spine ( Chipped at the top, but barely noticeable.) and the other has a slight bisecting groove on it's front that is barely perceptable.
Both are still in reasonably good condition.

One Slaine Dice Man Gameing Book. In good condition though definitly not a mint. One of the corners are abit flayed and bent looking. Part of the back cover is slightly peeled away. Though this doesn't take up the whole page and is quite small.

One JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE 258. Bareing a slight water mark from water being spilt on it. This onbly on the extrem edge of the page and is only noticeable when looking for it.

I'm not sure of how much they should be sale these for.

My reasons for not wanting to really sell these on Ebay or Amazon.com NOW is that I don't belive I will make a profit off these. Infact these may be sold at a extreme loss.

Though it would be nice to have the money I spent/wasted on these back.

I swear the only people that make money off EBAY are the Post Offices.

Oh, About the The Rogue Trooper and Judge Dredd Playstaion two games that I was thinking of selling. Of course I have the PAL versions of both these very same games. These aren't for sale as I consider them to be collector's items. The other two, which I had unkonwingly purchased from Amazon.com not even thinking about what NTSC meant.

Bad Andy

Someone's just contacted me asking if I's thought of a 'buy it now' price for the three Dinobots I'm flogging.

No room for my Transformers anymore *sob*

How easy is it to introduce a 'buy it now' anyway once the auction is up and running (and someone has bid)?

Link: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZmccarron510" target="_blank">Bye buy Transformers

Peter Wolf

Some sellers are considerate enough to say that the item in question is for sale elsewhere and could be withdrawn from the auction at any time. Its nice to know these things .

Ebay have removed the facility to contact a seller once the auction is over . This is annoying because i have missed auctions on items with no bids and i need to ask them if they are going to relist the item . Its a bit daft. Although if an item you are watching doesnt sell you are notified if it is relisted.I bet this has something to do with sellers getting spurious or higher offers by buyers who  didnt win auctions etc.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death