Main Menu

Prog 2285: Royal Blood

Started by Tjm86, 07 June, 2022, 06:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: norton canes on 10 June, 2022, 03:05:42 PM
'An Honest Man' [...] at the final part of the Kyle Asher trilogy?

OOOH!!!!!  Now I need to take back much of what I've said about this arc.  Didn't realise it was part of a series of stories.  Although Niemand is a bit cagey on the denouement of this arc in an interview.   (with news of a return of Chimpsky BTW).
Now intrigued to see how he's going to land this one.  Given that so far it has followed a seemingly predictable narrative it would be fair to say that this has been pulled off with panache.  An interesting use of narrative expectations.  Certainly has made me reappraise my thinking about the story.  8-0

IndigoPrime

Only just got around to this one. A wonderful cover, which fortunately didn't freak out my 7yo (who was instead happy about identifying Liz I), and then into another tense and superb episode of Dredd. The Terror Tale did nothing for me and I lost interest halfway through. Feels like it could have done with being cut down to a tight three-pager.

Hope: I think in hindsight I want to like this more than I do. It's not landing in the manner previous series did. Perhaps that's because it's as much a series of moments than anything. Hopefully, it'll read better collected.

Brink goes talky talky again, which is fine, and then Fiends concludes in a manner that shifts the series somewhat. I know folks have been annoyed at this run – and I largely agree with it feeling like Edginton wants to be writing Hellboy – but this series has changed a lot throughout its history. I'm good with it, although the immortal nature of the protagonist is something that will probably need exploring in a manner that doesn't just find him breeze through everything – otherwise, where is the threat?

The Prog as a whole feels solid, if not as remarkable as it was a few weeks ago. I do hope whatever replaces this Dredd will be great, because that strip has really shone.

Dredd > Brink > Fiends > Hope > Terror Tale

norton canes

Quote from: Tjm86 on 11 June, 2022, 06:39:37 AM
OOOH!!!!!  Now I need to take back much of what I've said about this arc.  Didn't realise it was part of a series of stories

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone - I haven't actually heard anything about further Asher stories, I was basically just making a joke about the Billy Joel song 'An Innocent Man'. Hope we do see more of him though!