Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Late to get into it but I'm almost at the end of FF7: Remake and its been a weird experience. It's a bit like FF7 was made into a Netflix series: as a FF7 fan it's very exciting to see it realised so beautifully, it looks and sounds incredible, but everything in it is dragged out to the nth degree. Pointless subplots and diversions, needless focus on background characters and other stuff to make the experience a strange mix of joy and tedium as the Midgar element of the plot is stretched out to about 20 hours of play. Like, it's nice to have a bit more time with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie but they are inconsequential characters in the overall plot and they don't need masses of backstory and then 10 minute death scenes.

I've managed to avoid spoilers on the ending but I've got an inkling something happens to derail the plot and stop this being a straight remake going forward, likely tied to the spectre things, and I'm really not sure I'm happy about that.

That aside 90% of my spare time is taken up playing Baldurs Gate 3 which is FANTASTIC.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

NapalmKev

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 10 December, 2023, 12:53:33 AMDoes anyone remember the game Carmageddon?

I had that for the PS1. There was a lot of 'tutting' at the time about running people over in computer games so they were changed to zombies.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Le Fink

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 10 December, 2023, 12:53:33 AMDoes anyone remember the game Carmageddon?
I had the PC version. A patch came out straight away to revert the zombies back to people, with red blood. Once you got past the novelty of mowing people down the interest faded. There was a stunt aspect to it with crazy jumps around I seem to remember.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 14 November, 2023, 11:40:56 AMLate to get into it but I'm almost at the end of FF7: Remake and its been a weird experience. It's a bit like FF7 was made into a Netflix series: as a FF7 fan it's very exciting to see it realised so beautifully, it looks and sounds incredible, but everything in it is dragged out to the nth degree. Pointless subplots and diversions, needless focus on background characters and other stuff to make the experience a strange mix of joy and tedium as the Midgar element of the plot is stretched out to about 20 hours of play. Like, it's nice to have a bit more time with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie but they are inconsequential characters in the overall plot and they don't need masses of backstory and then 10 minute death scenes.

I've managed to avoid spoilers on the ending but I've got an inkling something happens to derail the plot and stop this being a straight remake going forward, likely tied to the spectre things, and I'm really not sure I'm happy about that.

That aside 90% of my spare time is taken up playing Baldurs Gate 3 which is FANTASTIC.

Finished both of these Baldurs Gate 3 was amazing and well worth all the hype its had - so good, in fact, that I'm tempted to play it through again.
FF7 Remake very disappointing at the end. I'll wait for reviews, but I'm of the opinion that the next one can get in the bin.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 February, 2024, 01:45:46 PMBaldurs Gate 3 was amazing and well worth all the hype its had - so good, in fact, that I'm tempted to play it through again.

I played 1 and 2, so have been sorely tempted by this. My daydream is a new gaming PC, a copy of BG3 and then ... immersion! (Getting in the way of that - family, career etc.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Obviously it is streets ahead of 1 and 2. It doesn't rely on having played them, but there's plenty of nods to the older games (with Jaheria and Minsc as playable characters, although not from the start)

I get where you're coming from, but if you get the chance, totally do it. It's so good.

Link Prime

Been playing Stardew Valley on and off for more than 6 years - on the Switch, laptop and phone, but primarily on Playstation.
Finally achieved the Platinum Trophy the other night ("Iridium Seal").
The elation lasted a record breaking 15 seconds before the usual life reevaluation pangs set in swiftly afterwards.

Also continuing dipping in and out of The Devil in Me by Supermassive - without a doubt the most disturbing one of the lot.

pictsy

I played the Portal games again.  They are very cute games, among my favourites.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Funt Amenable to Change on 27 February, 2024, 03:21:11 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 February, 2024, 01:45:46 PMBaldurs Gate 3 was amazing and well worth all the hype its had - so good, in fact, that I'm tempted to play it through again.

I played 1 and 2, so have been sorely tempted by this. My daydream is a new gaming PC, a copy of BG3 and then ... immersion! (Getting in the way of that - family, career etc.)

Kinda me. I bought a new PC in December that would run this. But I have since been working through my Steam(ing) pile of shame. Most recently finished Bioshock Infinite. I was shocked that I installed it and was offered the chance to start my last autosave which was in the cloud...

...not a joke there, but a shock that the save was August 2016.
Lock up your spoons!

Angry Vince

Currently playing Tunguska: The Visitation.
Small studio game, kind of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if it was an isometric RPG. Difficult(ish), dangerous and fun.

Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just finished Bioshock: Infinite.

It was okay. It dabbled with racism which was interesting, but ultimately said nothing about it.

It also seemed to fizzle out as a sequel. I can almost see the pitch: "Right, the first two were set in a city under the sea. So this one... in the sky?" And then they thought, we've come up with the location let's all go to the pub.

The "twist", which was a bit sci-fi 101, appeared out the blue in the epilogue and seemed to be meeting the burden of the first game's astonishing "Would you kindly..." reveal.
Lock up your spoons!

Doomlord66

Currently playing The Callisto Protocol

Pretty much identical to Dead Space.... nuff said..

pictsy

The big take away I got from Bioshock Infinite was that it went on too long.  I was getting bored and aggravated well before the conclusion.  I also really liked the environment design, particularly right at the beginning.

iirc the game was initially intended to be a lot more ambitious with the rails playing a more prominent part in gameplay - but it had to be scaled back.

Interestingly it's the only one of the Bioshock games I completed.  I got bored of the others incredibly quickly.