Main Menu

Space Elevators

Started by damnandblast, 05 December, 2002, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damnandblast

If you youngsters can stand the pace of modern wireless programming there's a series on Radio 4 at 4.30 this afternoon called The Material World, which this afternoon is semi-dedicated to NASA and ESA's plans for the space elevator of which we recently spoke.

If you can't find anywhere to listen shamefully whilst hiding from your friends (well, it IS radio 4) you can download the program afterwards from the web site.

Nigel

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/thematerialworld.shtml" target="_blank">The Material World

Art

Hmmm... Acording to Freeman Dyson a space elevator would be impossible as any material with sufficient tensile strength would, when stretched out to its limit by gravitational forces, effectively be a high-explosive.

damnandblast

"Hmmm... Acording to Freeman Dyson..."

He should stick to designing hoovers.

Nigel

ukdane

Nigel,
Surely this is on topic... isn't there a Space Elevator in Asylum?
Cheers

-Daney

damnandblast

"Surely this is on topic... isn't there a Space Elevator in Asylum?"

Ah. Of course, yes. I was wondering where the original conversation had come from. My memory's not what it, umm...

My apologies. Consider this thread deleted. You wouldn't normally catch me purveying any of this disgusting 'on-topic' stuff.

Nigel

Jared Katooie

I just read Thargs post about Dreddcon complete with GordonR's comments on story suggestions. All I can say is "Holy crap!"

I mean here I am trying to dream up a half way decent story idea when all I'd have to do is present an idea which isn't idiotically stupid. I know 2K does have some standards but it's nice to think that with all the brain-dead arrogant feckers out there anyone making a decent effort is likely to get some attention.

I dont know, maybe there were a lot of great ideas too, but still It's nice to know there are dopey eejits out there lowering the bar for the rest of us.

"Buffy the sniffer dog". Hohoho.

JK.

JayzusB.Christ

"Surely this is on topic... isn't there a Space Elevator in Asylum?"
The tower up to the Brick Moon in Nemesis (The Gothic Empire) was loads better. Although I just noticed those big bubble domes over the continents in this week's episode. They look Skill McGill.
Thanks.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

You don't think tat te big space elevator will crash into a pair of twin domes do you? Gods I hope not. That would be pushing the social allegory a little too far.

Mind you, I am sure Boo could draw that nicely.

Dave6795 remembers when he didn't think about the content of the prog; he just read it.

Jayzus B. Christ

It's like Willy Wonka's Great Glass Elevator, really.
'Dave6795 remembers when he didn't think about the content of the prog; he just read it.'
I think I know where you're coming from, but I fear I'm too far gone.

Jayzus B. Christ

And does nobody call them 'lifts' any more, anyway?

Adrian Bamforth

No to mention THE great Glass (space) Elevator by Roald Dahl.

ADEhttp://www.personal.psu.edu/users/g/a/gak139/loompa.jpg">

Tu-plang

Is there a post where that picture of the Oompa Loompas DOESN'T get pulled out?

damnandblast

"Is there a post where that picture of the Oompa Loompas DOESN'T get pulled out?"

"Hi, I'm Adrian Bamforth. You may remember me from such strips as Narked For Death or Red Menace. Do you want to come and see my Oompa Loompas?"

Ade - a word of advice: it's the ones who say "yes" you should avoid  :)

Nigel

Trout

The Trout also approves of Oompa Loompas.

- Your mighty King

JayzusB.Christ

'No to mention THE great Glass (space) Elevator by Roald Dahl. '
I could have sworn I did just mention it. A hearty slap on the face to anyone who can tell me what 'Vermicious K'nids' are.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"