Main Menu

Another question to Scotch (yes, Scotch) people

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 December, 2002, 07:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

What does 'Helpmaboab' mean? The Middenface lad  has said it loads of times, as have loads of other Scots characters in loads of different comics, but I've never heard it spoken aloud. It seems to translate literally as 'Help my Robert'. Also, is the Scunner Campbell still knocking about the Highlands these days?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trout

Like jings and crivvens, it means, "Oh dear."

The Scunner Campbell was eventually vanquished by Supergran and is now in panto somewhere.

- McTrout

JayzusB.Christ

veI figured it meant 'Oh dear'; but what I was wondering was how it translated literally. Is it like 'Help me, Bob', as in the Irish 'Oh, Jayzus Christ above help me' (substituting the word 'Bob' for the impolite use of the Lord's name), or is it like 'Help my Bob', as in 'My son / brother / friend, Robert, will appreciate The Almighty's help with this particular conundrum'.

Also, why does Irvine Welsh call a face a 'coupon'? I usually suss most of his colloquialisms fairly quickly, but is this rhyming slang or what?

I will be more than happy, by the way, to explain any Irish colloquialisms or quirks of language in return for your collective Scottish kindness in my hour of need.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Queen Firey-Bou

It means good gracious, who'd believe it, jings, blimey o'Riley. & thus forth. we all say it all the time, don't we?

GordonR

>>Also, why does Irvine Welsh call a face a 'coupon'?

'cos coupons get stamped.

eg.  "Right, that's it.  Ah'm gonnae stamp your fuckin' coupon for ye, pal."

Art

Ah. We were jsut wondering if you'd burned down at the weekend.

Slippery PD

Does that mean:
"PVS yer claimed.  Im gonna stamp all over yer coupon ya feckin' weedgie!"

yer Slippo

Mudcrab

I've always heard it in the context of "Oor Wullie". Erm, that's a Sunday Post comic strip if anyone thought taht was a strange thing to say (see other thread somewhere for picture). I always thought it was something to do with his mate 'Fat Boab' but it's not, as I discovered.

Someone said it was a replacement for Grud or Jeebus, so that's probably right. My Auntie always says "Oh Mike" when she means something like that. Probably a result of a strict Christian family upbringing, not invoking the wrath of Grud n' a' that.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Trout

I always wondered if it meant "boaby" as in "willy," but that would be too funny for words.

The Sunday Post would never allow it.

I shall make inquiries with that hallowed publication and get back to you.

- Trout

JayzusB.Christ

'cos coupons get stamped.'
I see! I never thought of that, but it explains everything. Especially when it comes out of the mouth of someone like Frank Begbie.

And as for 'Helpmaboab':
'Someone said it was a replacement for Grud or Jeebus, so that's probably right.'
Seems reasonable enough.

Thanks for all your help, Scotch people! Oh, all right, then, 'Scots people'.

JayzusB.Christ

One more thing, sorry:
Do people really say 'Jings' in Scotland? (I might as well bleed this Scotland thing dry while we're on the subject.  Don't you just hate a tourist? Especially one that isn't even in your country.)

McNulty

"Do people really say 'Jings' in Scotland?"

I dinae ken, do Geordies really say "Ecky thump!" Do Londerers really say "Cor Blimey Guvn'r!" Do Scousers really say "Calm Daan, Calm Daan!"

I have never heard a Scotsman or Scotswoman say "Jings" in anything other than jest.

Link: http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/Cal-Hab/index.html" target="_blank">The A-Z of Cal-Hab

Wils

do Geordies really say "Ecky thump!"

I thought that was meant to be Yorkshire term? A Geordieism would be more like:

"Alreet, pet. Let's gan doon the toon."

Demon Chicken

I'm starting to trawl the barrel down and come up with all of the famous colloquialisms just to please the locals down here.  I've been using such old favourites as jings, crivvens, helpmaboab, och aye the noo, gonnae no dae that, and various other ovscure ones.

What is it with the English and someone with a Scottish accent?  Do they really think we still live in caves and run around in kilts all the time?

DC

Slippery PD

Dont we???  :-)

We may as well keep feeding them the lie.....  Just the same way as Jaysus B Christ, drinks Guiness, has about twenty children and likes whickey?  

**Takes tongue from cheek**
Yer Slippo