Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixmo

As described on the favourite artists threads, I did not know that 20th Century Simon Coleby and 21st Century Simon Coleby are the same art droid. Ok it seems obvious now, but I had no inkling.

This is peculiar because, at the same time I was operating under the assumption that Simon Harrison and Mark Harrison are a single entity. This does not seem obvious at all when I look at it and I'm wondering what happened to me to think this. Did anyone else get suckered by this cunning Thargian ruse of having two different droids with two different names pretend to be the same person (in my head, at least)?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yes, me. And yes, Simon and Mark Harrison being one and the same.

I think it's because both these guys do lovely art that doesnt look like anything else- and Mark's *might have been* an organic development of Simon's, given the years between.

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sixmo on 20 January, 2021, 07:02:47 PM
As described on the favourite artists threads, I did not know that 20th Century Simon Coleby and 21st Century Simon Coleby are the same art droid. Ok it seems obvious now, but I had no inkling.

This is peculiar because, at the same time I was operating under the assumption that Simon Harrison and Mark Harrison are a single entity. This does not seem obvious at all when I look at it and I'm wondering what happened to me to think this. Did anyone else get suckered by this cunning Thargian ruse of having two different droids with two different names pretend to be the same person (in my head, at least)?

Well... Not exactly that, but something similar. Shaun Thomas, who drew Apocalypse Soon and Young Middenface in the Megazine (and personally I thought he was brilliant) turned out to be an old artist with a different style and a different name.

Trouble is, I can't remember who his original self was, but I'm leaning towards Tom Carney. If it was Tom Carney, after his straggly bearded, Stallone-helmeted Dredd, well, faking his death and assuming a new identity was pretty much the only option left to him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Grumpy Andrew

This feels like something which is going over my head and it's driving me a little bonkers.
The strip NAKKA of the S.T.A.R.S. in the prog currently - every time I read the title it screams at me that it's a pun on something, but I can never grasp it. Can anyone put me out of my misery?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Isnt it straight from Private Eye's 'Inspector Knacker of the Yard', as a generic referral to the police?

SBT

Grumpy Andrew

I don't read Private Eye, but that sounds like the ticket. Thanks SBT.

sheridan

Speaking of art droids operating under two similar name, I present Steve Bisley and Simon Bisley ;)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 22 March, 2021, 12:12:09 PM
Speaking of art droids operating under two similar name, I present Steve Bisley and Simon Bisley ;)

I do remember a Steve Bisley glitch - the first episode of the Black Hole possibly?  Alan Grant was also got a writing credit for an episode of Zenith too. 

Just been re-reading Halo Jones.  Halo: 'So what do you have stencilled on your stomach?' Rodice:  'This way up.'  It's a very early prog sex joke, isn't it?  Or have I got a filthy mind?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 March, 2021, 12:21:44 PM

I do remember a Steve Bisley glitch - the first episode of the Black Hole possibly?  Alan Grant was also got a writing credit for an episode of Zenith too. 

Just been re-reading Halo Jones.  Halo: 'So what do you have stencilled on your stomach?' Rodice:  'This way up.'  It's a very early prog sex joke, isn't it?  Or have I got a filthy mind?

It's not something that ever occurred to me.  You could try asking Mr Moore what his intention was - I'm sure he'd be only too happy to field questions about Halo after all these years :D

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 22 March, 2021, 12:56:16 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 March, 2021, 12:21:44 PM

It's not something that ever occurred to me.  You could try asking Mr Moore what his intention was - I'm sure he'd be only too happy to field questions about Halo after all these years :D

I'll compliment him on the LXG movie first.

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 March, 2021, 01:53:56 PM
I'll compliment him on the LXG movie first.

Is that before or after you ask him what he thinks of the latest printing of Watchmen?   ::)

The Corinthian

"When's Big Numbers 3 coming out?"

JayzusB.Christ

I'll definitely mention how much I liked his Watchmen sequels.

sheridan

"Alan!  Alan!  Could you sign this?  I'll just pass it under the cubicle door!"