Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

That's why there's that frame, where he's in hospital after losing the crest, and he's leafing through a Ukranian for Dummies phrasebook.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

And like a total eejit, I wasn't quite sure if you were joking or not and went looking for that bit in the story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

I know how he feels, though - it's not easy learning a new language at that age...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Diavolo, but that Simon can draw.

JayzusB.Christ

The 'J Edgar Hoover' nickname for Judge Edgar - did anybody cop the first time round that it was a misprint of 'J Edgar Hover', which makes a lot more sense?  Because I most certainly didn't.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Designer Bill Blass was the first American designer to print his own name on his designs - the Blass Brand.

Sharky's Pointless Musings Inc.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Another thing - did Guthrie start off as a black guy and then become a white guy after The Pit? Whereas Beenie seemed to have gone the other way. 

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 May, 2021, 08:49:20 PM
Another thing - did Guthrie start off as a black guy and then become a white guy after The Pit? Whereas Beenie seemed to have gone the other way. 

Well, Beenie's biological mother* was hispanic, with family from the Puerto Rican Wastes.

* it's complicated - America Jara.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 11 May, 2021, 12:22:15 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 May, 2021, 08:49:20 PM

Well, Beenie's biological mother* was hispanic, with family from the Puerto Rican Wastes.

* it's complicated - America Jara.

Sorry, I missed this. It is a tad complicated, I know, and sometimes just depended on the colourist.

Another thing: Why was Erebus from The Red Seas called Erebus when he was clearly Cerberus?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 May, 2021, 11:10:28 AM
Another thing: Why was Erebus from The Red Seas called Erebus when he was clearly Cerberus?

I'm just not sure Edginton is too good at his mythology. When they meet the Norse gods in Red Seas there's stuff about Loki being Odin's son and Thor's half-brother - which comes entirely from Marvel comics.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

While all this and much more besides is true, it makes the assumption that Red Seas is about actual 'historical' mythology, rather than evoking a pop cultural, and specifically '50-70s movies, version of same. 

I believe Colin (and perhaps the Cosh?) to be our pre-eminent Red Seas scholars - perhaps if YNWA could spare a moment from his endless tabulations he could offer an insight?

For my own thruppence: Erebus is a cool name, in Greek myth the child of Chaos himself and a dark part of Hades' realm, and while it clearly is intended to call Cerberus to mind when used in conjunction with a multi-headed dog who is instrumental in the guarding of the nether/afterworld, it's enough to set this particular urbane clock-punk hound apart from his more animalistic namesake, while suggesting that what we think we know about Cerberus and his role may not apply.

As an aside, one of my beefs with many 'Mythological characters in modern days' stories is that IF they are true to their (contested, polysemous, partial) mythological origins, then their stories are known or done. I point a withering finger of judgement at Percy Jackson (film versions) in this regard, and raise a glass of a moderately priced Malbec to Eddie Campbell for navigating that fine line.

Better in general to present a story that uses the keywords, but writes a new mythology around them without pretending faithfulness.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 May, 2021, 12:42:34 PM
For my own thruppence: Erebus is a cool name,

I always assumed this. So it was good name, called back Cereberus but wasn't him (two heads, three heads etc) and maybe was the reality behind what became the myth.

There was also a ship in the 1840s that went missing on an Artic expedetion with the suitably named HMS Terror and it might reference that in some way....

...but I never really worked out how so go with my first stab.

Funt Solo

Plus spelling changes with the telling and retelling of a myth. Thus Odin, Wotan, Woden and Wodan, all becoming our Odin's Day / Wednesday.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++