Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 March, 2012, 11:15:43 PM
Blakee Pentax.

I'm still not really sure what it's supposed to mean although I have a suspicion it's "break." I used to think it must be "black" because that's what colour cameras were.

Yeah, it's break.

ming

Well I used to think it was just going on about someone called 'Blake Pentax'...  :-[

:)

SpetsnaZ99

Blakee Pentax

is not to do with 'On The Buses'?
wasn't there an episode where the inspector tried to photograph the staff when they weren't working
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

SmallBlueThing

No, its just a very funny, borderline racist, gag of the sort you probably wouldnt do today- blakee= 'break' spoken in japanese accent, 'pentax'= type of camera. Japanese tourists were often depicted photographing everything that moved, and most things that didnt, at the time.

Its a seminal panel- i cant hold my own camera or watch someone else hold it, without thinking or saying 'aieeee, no blakey pentax' to this day.

SBT

SpetsnaZ99

In Slaine, the quote 'He didn't think it too many'.
Was this linked to a hymn i used to sing in junior school. I cant remember the title but i think it was about Samson, a couple of lines went "with the jaw bone of an ass he slew a thousand men, and the next day he did it all again" (i think)...
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Spikes

Just been checking out the 2000ad art over on the CAF site, and i was reminded of the Cam Kennedy drawn story from Prog 440 - Magnificent Obsession, which i always thought was a play on Orson Welles The Magnificent Ambersons

JOE SOAP

and I thought it was a play on Douglas Sirk's Magnificent Obsession (1954)

Spikes

Oh dunno then. If it is from the Douglas Sirk film, then by copying exactly its not the best play on words is it.

Always thought it was a nod and a wink to Orson's film because they both dealt, to a degree, with family.

Mardroid

I'm not sure this counts, but I often wondered why most of the Judges' armour seems to be in the shoulder area. Okay, I suppose it's possible the fibre of the main uniform itself might have protective qualities but all the thick stuff is on the shoulders rather than on the chest where.. you know... the majority of vital organs are stored. (Okay it partly covers the chest but not enough to constitute proper protection.)

Then one day it hit me. It's not so much to protect a judge from bullets, although it no doubt does help an off-centre shot. It's motorcycle gear to protect the judge if he/she goes flying over the handlebars! Obviously that's the best place for such armour in that eventuality.

Mind you, Johnny Alpha's gear seems to be primarily shoulder based too, and while he will often pilot a skimmer, it's not really his modus operandi, so maybe Mr Ezquerra just likes big shoulder pads. Then again Alpha's shoulder armour is a lot more extensive than the judges' covering more chest area, at least on one side.

BPP

"Judge Mandroid, the good news is your armour saved you from the crash's impact. The bad news is that you now have an Eagle embedded two inches into your shoulder blade.'
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mardroid

Quote from: BPP on 10 March, 2012, 03:04:43 PM
"Judge Mandroid, the good news is your armour saved you from the crash's impact. The bad news is that you now have an Eagle embedded two inches into your shoulder blade.'

Heh. I've often thought that eagle was a bit too pointy too, although it looks good. That's one thing I'm glad they changed in the new film.

vzzbux

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 March, 2012, 03:09:20 PM
Quote from: BPP on 10 March, 2012, 03:04:43 PM

Heh. I've often thought that eagle was a bit too pointy too, although it looks good. That's one thing I'm glad they changed in the new film.
If it welds itself to your nervous system perhaps it could help you fly, Controling you, making your muscles twitch in all sorts of ways to enable you to soar through the air. They could call you Eagle Angel.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Richmond Clements

Quoteit's not really his modus operandi, so maybe Mr Ezquerra just likes big shoulder pads.

Artists don't like drawing shoulders and elbows and knees.

Jedit

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 10 March, 2012, 09:04:42 AM
In Slaine, the quote 'He didn't think it too many'.
Was this linked to a hymn i used to sing in junior school. I cant remember the title but i think it was about Samson, a couple of lines went "with the jaw bone of an ass he slew a thousand men, and the next day he did it all again" (i think)...

Nope.  It's straight out of Celtic legends, where the hero engaged on a slaying spree will kill X people and never think it too many. 

My personal favourite Celtic death count belongs to a guy who called for his harp in a battle.  It promptly flew to his hand, killing seven men as it came

Onlyverysmall

Was that in the Mabinogion, Jedit (I leant my copy and didn't get it back, grr)?