Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Also, the Greek letter Psi (the sound 'ps', and pronounced 'sigh' in English) is used as the Dept's symbol, and is associated with paranormal wotsits.

Hawkmumbler

glassstanley

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 April, 2014, 09:01:34 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 24 April, 2014, 08:34:04 AM
It's "sigh", as in psychic or psionic.

Of course it is — there's never been any suggestion that it's an acronym, has there? If so, what does it stand for?

Psychic Scene Investigation?

The idea that it might *not* be pronounced 'sigh' only occured when I saw a video with Book Cook referring to the strip as Anderson P.S.I.

JayzusB.Christ

I think the Sighs have it.
What we need is Tharg* to visit us all individually and read our progs aloud for us.  Mind you, this message board would probably shrink by about 80%.

*And a droid who speaks Irish.

EDIT: Tordels, old boy, I never noticed that.  It reminds me of this article: http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_875_25-symbols-you-never-noticed-in-everyday-life/. The one about binary blew my mind (though not as much as cracked.com thinks things blow people's minds).

EDIT EDIT:  That's doubly weird, Hawkmonger.  I use those things in my martial arts class; never realised they looked like the letter they sound like.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

Literally only just realised that 'Comixology' is a pun on 'Mixology' - ie, the preparation and mixing of Cocktails.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 April, 2014, 09:07:29 AM
Also, the Greek letter Psi (the sound 'ps', and pronounced 'sigh' in English) is used as the Dept's symbol, and is associated with paranormal wotsits

Not only did I not know that, I hadn't even noticed that Psi Division had a symbol. (deep shame)

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 24 April, 2014, 05:53:40 PM
Not only did I not know that, I hadn't even noticed that Psi Division had a symbol. (deep shame)

Yes, well, that may be because I'm probably talking out of my posterior as usual.  I was absolutely sure there were loads of examples, from Shamballa in particular, but a quick flick through the bookshelf reveals precisely none

Maybe it's.... [adjusts sunglasses]... all in the mind.

EDIT: Occurs to me it may actually appear in the Anderson-in-Space stories, and thus not Psi-Div at all.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

Like most, it's 'sigh' for me.
Not least because otherwise, EVERY punning 'Next Prog' and cover tagline falls flat.
Anderson is one of the worst punning offenders, I'd say.

Dandontdare

The P is silent, as in "swimming pool"

Dash Decent

Quote from: Fungus on 24 April, 2014, 07:19:43 PM
Anderson is one of the worst punning offenders, I'd say.

We are all guilty!

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

judgerufian

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 April, 2014, 09:35:32 PM
The P is silent, as in "swimming pool"

dont think that P is silent but we know what you mean!

8-Ball

When Deadlock and Nemesis are looking straight ahead it's (blindingly) obvious that they are connected to one another. Or it is now, but before I just didn't see the resemblance.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Link Prime

Quote from: Eightball on 25 April, 2014, 07:42:00 PM
When Deadlock and Nemesis are looking straight ahead it's (blindingly) obvious that they are connected to one another. Or it is now, but before I just didn't see the resemblance.

There's always been a passable similarity back in the day, even if it was just Deadlock's 'maw'.
Bisley's stint on the ABC Warriors in the late 80's was the first time I became acutely aware of it, and Deadlock's similarity to Nemesis has never been more pronounced (or cool looking) when drawn by Henry Flint.