Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 June, 2015, 12:14:19 PM
- do actual surfboards have billycords too? It sounds like an Ozification of 'umbilical' anyway

I've never heard them being called Billycords or 'Billys'... It's just yer 'Leash' that goes round the ankle.

Another good example of Mega-city slang I reckon!  :thumbsup:

JayzusB.Christ

These three jokes from prog 500, arranged in order of unsuitability for my 11-year-old self:

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

I don't get the last two of those. How did Chopper get his nickname?

Also, I realised on Friday why Trainspotting is called Trainspotting. (I assume it is to do with tracks?)
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

I thought it was to do with the pointlessness of the situation they find themselves. The stations are all closed and there's no trains. Or something.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 July, 2015, 06:44:43 PM
I don't get the last two of those. How did Chopper get his nickname?

Also, I realised on Friday why Trainspotting is called Trainspotting. (I assume it is to do with tracks?)

Venus is being flirtatious; hoping that Chopper is named after his... well, you know.  Nemesis may be slightly hard of hearing. (I remember Jasper Carrott making the same joke, but our boy the Warlock got there first.)

As for Trainspotting, I think Tips is on the ball there.  The novel sheds more light on it; when Begbie and Renton meet a alcoholic down-and-out (who [spoiler]turns out to be Begbie's father[/spoiler]) in the disused  Leith station where they've stopped in for a piss; and he drunkenly jokes something like 'Whit are youse up tae, lads?  Trainspotting, eh?' 

Irvine Welsh has written more than one truly dreadful book, but he is capable of flashes of utter genius - I'm thinking here of the cot death scene, [spoiler]whose chapter title in the book is 'It Goes Without Saying'.  While this is the junkies' unspoken agreement that the heroin cook takes his hit before the bereaved mother gets a turn, it also alludes to how the baby dies before anyone finds out who the father was[/spoiler].  Or maybe I overthink these things.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

GordonR

Also note the wallpaper in Renton's childhood room at his parents' house, where he stays when he's forced to move back in with them.

It's got trains all over it.

Frank

Interesting detail regarding what happens to judges who don't make the grade and a rationalisation of why street judges injured in the line of duty aren't still patrolling the streets with robot legs and plasma cannons where their hands used to be * (Rennie/Richardson, House Of Pain, prog 1485): 

* it doesn't work completely - given the level of tech seen in mechs who appear outwardly human, such as Inga and Ueno Hama, which could surely be applied to prosthetics - but I'm going to fancon it and say the technology is too unreliable for use in situations where human lives depend upon it functioning 100%

ZenArcade

After DOC all solutions to depleted Judge numbers would have to be considered. I guess however there is an inbuilt lack of trust in investing in tech after Mechanismo and those booby-trapped Lawgivers. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Butch on 19 July, 2015, 10:18:15 AM

Interesting detail regarding what happens to judges who don't make the grade and a rationalisation of why street judges injured in the line of duty aren't still patrolling the streets with robot legs and plasma cannons where their hands used to be * (Rennie/Richardson, House Of Pain, prog 1485): 

See, this is why i love this forum. Your post has absolutely nothing to do with what the previous poster said, even though you're showing a story written by the same man.

Frank

This board is powered by Random, Jayzus.

Si Spurrier and Rob Williams obviously spent a great deal of 2006/7 feeling intellectually intimidated by BBC arts programming, since two different versions of The Culture Show and Mark Lawson made into the prog within a year of each other.

I don't know if there was some kind of miscommunication between Spurrier and Marshall (on Neoweirdies, prog 1496), or if making Merk Awesome's chassis and vocabulary more reminiscent of Stephen Fry (maybe Andrew Graham Dixon) was intended to make the scene a more general satire of the cognoscenti:

Despite Spurrier bringing back Citizen Snork as a talent show judge, Williams's story (The Biographer, prog 1537) is by far the most interesting, getting round the difficulty of writing his first Dredd story in a very arch way - by writing a story about a writer finding it difficult to write a story about Judge Dredd. You thought all that metafictional stuff in Ichabod Azrael came out of nowhere:

... and cleverly subverting the expected formal conventions of a Dredd strip:

Wasted effort on you lot at the time - https://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,19856.msg335017.html#msg335017

Frank

RIP Shuggie McTighe (20??-2039), long standing head of Tek Division and wan a' Jock Tamson's bairns (apparently). Seen here with more hair than usual and without the headset he habitually wore, but then Jock's Sean Connery analogue isn't a perfect likeness either. Scotland gains independence by 2029 (at the latest) in the Dredd timeline (Rennie/Jock, Tartan Terrors, 1540, 06 Jun 2007):

SuperSurfer

Zippo in ABC Warriors.

A few days ago I came across a Sunday Times magazine I kept from 1989 which has a disturbing article on the My Lai massacre of almost 500 civilians by GIs during the Vietnam war. It really is a harrowing read. What is also upsetting is reading about determined attempts to cover-up the barbaric crimes committed (only bad guys commit war crimes).

After the massacres, groups of GIs entered hamlets and set them alight using Zippo lighters and they were called 'Zippo squads'.

Now I wonder if Pat Mills had that in mind when creating Zippo in ABC Warriors. I did know that US troops would carry Zippo lighters and engrave them with messages but didn't know (or had forgotten) there were 'Zippo squads'. 

And having read the disturbing article, I wonder just what has been going on in the mostly underreported conflicts the West has been involved in, in the last decade or so. Other than what has come to light from sources such as Wikileaks, it seems to me that very little is ever reported on what actually happens on the ground.

ZenArcade

I seem to recall the term zippo raid as similarly applicable. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead