Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 August, 2015, 06:30:01 PM
After the massacres, groups of GIs entered hamlets and set them alight using Zippo lighters and they were called 'Zippo squads'. Now I wonder if Pat Mills had that in mind when creating Zippo in ABC Warriors.

I'd say that's almost certainly the case - the early sequences of the first book of Nemesis featuring Zippo had a very 'Nam aesthetic to them. Congratulations, SuperSoaker.

Robbie Morrison and Richard Elson's Blindside (progs 1996-1999, August 2008) sees Dredd and a rookie with a brutal haircut (who's squeamish about killing) trapped in Phoenix Tower and unable to call for help, with a gang of bad guys trying to kill them. 

The two judges are separated, a firefight in the dimly lit, empty corridors of the high-rise building ensues as they make their way to the top floor, and Dredd and the leader of the gang try to psyche each other out by yelling cliches into microphones while the rookie takes out her female opposite number.

Dredd doesn't have a lot of faith in the female rookie's abilities, and she makes several errors early in the story - including losing her gun - but she finally wins his respect by sneaking up behind and killing a bad guy who's standing over a weakened Dredd* with a gun instead of shooting him with the gun.

Alex Garland began writing the script for the 2012 Dredd film in 2006, but abandoned his early attempts before turning in his shooting script in 2008:

* More in the spirit of this thread, after Dredd is blinded, Elson draws the visor of his helmet without the wee white lightning flashes, which is neat

malkymac

Quote from: GordonR on 05 July, 2015, 11:56:50 PM
Also note the wallpaper in Renton's childhood room at his parents' house, where he stays when he's forced to move back in with them.

It's got trains all over it.

Well remembered. I thought it was Hibs posters and the like that were the bedroom walls.

JayzusB.Christ

Oz Chief Judge Bob was a future Bob Hawke.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexiP

I completely missed the J. Jone's butchers van from Dad's Army in Absalom a while back. I only noticed it flicking back through. I did think at the time 'that chap looks an awful lot like Corporal Jones!' I was half expecting 'they don't like it up 'em!' when the knives came out.

Must be a fan.

Dandontdare

After wondering why Star Wars discussions always seem to veer towards euroscepticism, I've just twigged what "EU" stands for.

glassstanley

Just re-read the first Tharg strip. For the first time I realised that the queues of people waiting to see him arrive at work (as he thinks) are really just waiting for the bus.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: glassstanley on 05 September, 2015, 10:09:26 AM
Just re-read the first Tharg strip. For the first time I realised that the queues of people waiting to see him arrive at work (as he thinks) are really just waiting for the bus.

Talking of Tharg strips, I'm not entirely sure what 'The Shedding' (prog 283 - 285) is about...

It seems to be about when the notoriously strict senior editor Bob Bartholomew got replaced with the more easy going Barry Tomlinson, but that seems like a bit of an odd thing to put in the prog considering only the IPC staff would get the references!

I've also heard rumours it was written by Alan Moore...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

A.Cow

Just came across this looking at The Lowry website:

Soul City (Pyramid of Oranges), Roelof Lowe (1967)

Never realised it was a real art exhibit!

glassstanley

Prog 211's Future Shock is titled 'Ernesto Hornetz must die'. A pun that completely passed me by for the last 30+ years.

JayzusB.Christ

Yet another one I missed, from Moore and Gibson's classic from Tharg's Head Revisited.

Not sure about the 'Grawk' bit, but the first bit of dialogue is a cock joke, isn't it? (As in 'pointing Percy at the porcelain.)  Not sure who it's meant to be or why they're saying it, but it seems to be either about wanking or pissing on the Halo Jones graphic novel. Charming.

EDIT - Hang on, is that a camera in his hands?  Now I'm confused.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Quote from: glassstanley on 14 September, 2015, 08:03:34 AM
Prog 211's Future Shock is titled 'Ernesto Hornetz must die'. A pun that completely passed me by for the last 30+ years.

ummm ...  I still don't get it?

glassstanley

Dandontdare

D'oh!  ::)

I even tried saying it out loud, but didn't twig that.  :-[

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 September, 2015, 01:22:09 PM
D'oh!  ::)

I even tried saying it out loud, but didn't twig that.  :-[

Me too, DDD!  :-[
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Since we were pilfering Strontium Dog for the fan film, I noticed that I'd written Wulf using 'I' in a sentence - which sounded off when I thought about it.

Looking through the agency files, he pretty much always refers to himself in the third person (or uses we) except in the Ragnarok storyline, where his speech patterns are pretty normal, because he's actually speaking Old Norse and that's being translated by Alpha's Future Rosetta Stone, rather than his second language.