Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

It never occurred to me that Bruce was his first name. The only other named Oz judge i remember was Chief Judge Bob, though, so it kind of makes sense - or did, at least, till the Lenny bit was added.

What also went over my head, of course, was that Bob was inspired by Bob Hawke.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Am I missing something or is there a bit of overthinking going on here?

Oz. Judge Bruce is a throwaway joke by the writers based on national stereotypes and it being funny to have a forename for a surname.

Judgement Day. "Alright, Lenny?" is a throwaway joke by the character based on the writer's youthful belief in the superiority of his own tastes in popular culture, in this case heavily influenced by Bill Hicks. It's not saying that's the judge's actual name.

It's the same as me being introduced to someone called Mr Marx and saying "Alright, Harpo?"
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 02 May, 2017, 02:46:54 PM

Oz. Judge Bruce is a throwaway joke by the writers based on national stereotypes and it being funny to have a forename for a surname.

Judgement Day. "Alright, Lenny?" is a throwaway joke by the character based on the writer's youthful belief in the superiority of his own tastes in popular culture, in this case heavily influenced by Bill Hicks. It's not saying that's the judge's actual name.

It's the same as me being introduced to someone called Mr Marx and saying "Alright, Harpo?"

My thought was that the Judgement Day line was a throwaway line, as you say (though I've not read the panels in question in some time).

TordelBack

From the strip that brought you: Barbara Hershey; Stan Lee; Judges Fuego, Coppit, Fodder, "Cal", and Solomon, to name but a few?  Shirley not!

Fungus

M.I.K.

I once knew someone who had the nickname Tooky because his first name was Barry.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Fungus on 02 May, 2017, 04:51:25 PM
Cosh is correct...

While I would contend that 'Bruce' is a not unusual surname and that any humour derived from it being used as such is in itself an example of overthinking . . . fair dinkum!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

positronic

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 May, 2017, 02:04:55 AM
We've also seen this issue explored: when Rico II shows up in MC2 he too is a Cadet Dredd, but elects to take 'Rico' to avoid confusion (and give his clone-uncle another shake). Presumably a similar decision was made before: two identical Judge Dredds is asking for trouble.

An excellent point, although it does makes you wonder why they both wouldn't identified by their first names, since they were cloned and entered the academy at the same time. While they're both clones of Fargo, yet not named Fargo, wouldn't it have been easier to just give them both different surnames?

Still, when you think about it, there must be a lot of Judges who have the same last names (not necessarily related to each other), in a city as large as the Big Meg?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: positronic on 01 May, 2017, 09:40:27 PMLet's not forget that this has been a point of confusion ever since Judge Rico (who technically, should also have been Judge Dredd).

He was, originally.

positronic

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 May, 2017, 02:58:50 AM
Quote from: positronic on 01 May, 2017, 09:40:27 PMLet's not forget that this has been a point of confusion ever since Judge Rico (who technically, should also have been Judge Dredd).

He was, originally.

Yet there are also flashback sequences that show him with a badge that reads RICO, so someone chose to retcon that appearance in subsequent flashbacks. The original panel makes more sense, so why they didn't leave it that way... is probably what TordelBack says, that it would be too confusing having 2 Judge Dredds who look identical (until Rico's incarceration on Titan).

Hindsight is 20/20, but they could have avoided those problems by just giving both of Judge Fargo's clones different last names.

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 02 May, 2017, 02:51:48 PM

My thought was that the Judgement Day line was a throwaway line, as you say (though I've not read the panels in question in some time).

The single panel is on page 99 of the trade paperback. After a brief snippet of conversation between Judge Bruce and Judge Joyce, as they're parting, Judge Bruce looks at Judge Joyce and says "Charlie.", and Judge Joyce looks back at Judge Bruce and says "Lenny." That's the whole thing.

JayzusB.Christ

Judgement Day. "Alright, Lenny?" is a throwaway joke by the character based on the writer's youthful belief in the superiority of his own tastes in popular culture, in this case heavily influenced by Bill Hicks.

Young Garth Ennis?  Forcing his pop culture tastes down the reader's throat? Surely not...

Quote from: positronic on 03 May, 2017, 03:56:59 AM

The single panel is on page 99 of the trade paperback. After a brief snippet of conversation between Judge Bruce and Judge Joyce, as they're parting, Judge Bruce looks at Judge Joyce and says "Charlie.", and Judge Joyce looks back at Judge Bruce and says "Lenny." That's the whole thing.

I remember it being something more like 'Heh! Nice one, Charlie.' 'Alright, Lenny. I'm just off to the jacks.'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 03 May, 2017, 02:42:51 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 02 May, 2017, 02:04:55 AM
We've also seen this issue explored: when Rico II shows up in MC2 he too is a Cadet Dredd, but elects to take 'Rico' to avoid confusion (and give his clone-uncle another shake). Presumably a similar decision was made before: two identical Judge Dredds is asking for trouble.

An excellent point, although it does makes you wonder why they both wouldn't identified by their first names, since they were cloned and entered the academy at the same time. While they're both clones of Fargo, yet not named Fargo, wouldn't it have been easier to just give them both different surnames?

Still, when you think about it, there must be a lot of Judges who have the same last names (not necessarily related to each other), in a city as large as the Big Meg?

Judge Baker was the first victim of the Solar Sniper in 2099.

A different Judge Baker was also a judge reported to the Council of Judges by Judge-Tutor Schwartz for corrupting cadets about twenty years later...

JudgeJudi

So I wonder if there are multiple Judge Cody's* clones out there also with naming confusing (I seem to remember an annual claiming about a third of the judges were clones)?

* I think it was Cody....

JOE SOAP

Quote from: positronic on 03 May, 2017, 03:42:04 AMYet there are also flashback sequences that show him with a badge that reads RICO, so someone chose to retcon that appearance in subsequent flashbacks. The original panel makes more sense, so why they didn't leave it that way... is probably what TordelBack says, that it would be too confusing having 2 Judge Dredds who look identical (until Rico's incarceration on Titan).

Hindsight is 20/20, but they could have avoided those problems by just giving both of Judge Fargo's clones different last names.

Of course, but no one thought there'd be lots of debatin' a 'one-off' comic character's name 4 weeks, let alone 40 years, after he met his contemporaneous end.