Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

A.Cow

It was already spotted by others back in the day, but I killed myself laughing re-reading Megazine 337 when I realised that Mike Collins' rendition of MC-1's Alien Zoo was based on Dudley Zoo in the West Midlands.

It's very apt.  To explain for those who've never lived in the Black Country, there's something undoubtedly incongruous about exotic animals living on a hill (with ski-lifts) in the middle of a run-down market town surrounded by smoke-encrusted factories & pound shops.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Smith on 29 May, 2017, 02:06:03 PM
Kidney? ;)

Is it really? Kidney?  :think:

Well that certainly flew several feet over my bonce as I wished for that particular Stronty Dogs's testicles to meet a rather forceful object...

Fungus

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Smith on 29 May, 2017, 02:06:03 PM
Kidney? ;)
I never got the pun, Kidney? What relevance has that got to his mutation. :|

Mardroid

Kid Knee (He's a bloke who fancies himself a hardcase, (hence the Western, 'kid'  Billy, etc) with his head in his knee.)

Kidney (Sounds the same.)

Tony Angelino

While the name Kid Knee didn't go over my head when I was a nipper the name Durham Red continues to do so.

For some reason I seem to remember a school friend and myself thinking it was a type of chicken. I don't think this is the case though.

There is a brick called a Durham Red and there is a breed of cow called a Durham and is sometimes known as a Durham Red.

Maybe this has come up before but anyone know where Wagner/Grant got her name from?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 30 May, 2017, 10:54:48 PM
While the name Kid Knee didn't go over my head when I was a nipper the name Durham Red continues to do so...

Maybe this has come up before but anyone know where Wagner/Grant got her name from?

It's a football thing. If Alan Grant had got his way, she'd have been called Chelsea Blue!
@jamesfeistdraws

positronic

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 May, 2017, 12:06:54 AM
While the name Kid Knee didn't go over my head when I was a nipper the name Durham Red continues to do so...

It's a football thing. If Alan Grant had got his way, she'd have been called Chelsea Blue!

Just as a name, I think "Chelsea Blue" is actually better, if for no other reason than Chelsea is a female name, as well as a place.

That said, I can see a couple of reasons why "Durham Red" was a preferable choice for this character. Red as in "blood red" works better for a mutant vampire (and the name Chelsea Blue would also have affected the character's color scheme).

Also, blue is already associated with the Genetic Infantry, and we already had a Venus Bluegenes, so it seems like the Rogue Trooper franchise already has the color blue locked up. No need for two blue spinoff characters.

It's interesting that just a couple of years later, Nancy Collins' vampire character Sonja Blue first appeared in the novel Sunglasses After Dark.

positronic

Middenface McNulty went over my head. Obviously it's alliterative, but what's the joke?

I had to look up "midden"... (a dunghill or refuse heap).

Steve Green

John told me that Middenface was originally described as having all sorts of crap on his face, rather than his head - bits of broken glass etc.

There's even a mention of that in one line of the Kreeler Conspiracy.

Carlos decided otherwise, which is why we have the lumpit-headed character we know and love.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: positronic on 31 May, 2017, 06:08:30 AM
Middenface McNulty went over my head. Obviously it's alliterative, but what's the joke?

I had to look up "midden"... (a dunghill or refuse heap).

Not really a pun but his actual (mildly funny) name. McNulty is his real surname, and Middenface is just thesort of thing a dusgruntled scottish parent might christen a mutant baby.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 May, 2017, 09:40:32 AM
Not really a pun but his actual (mildly funny) name. McNulty is his real surname, and Middenface is just thesort of thing a dusgruntled scottish parent might christen a mutant baby.

I presume they actually christened him Archibald, since that's his real name. Can't remember much about the Young Middenface series, so dunno if it tells us when he first acquired the nickname.

Link Prime

While the name Kid Knee didn't go over my head when I was a nipper the name Durham Red continues to do so.

For some reason I seem to remember a school friend and myself thinking it was a type of chicken. I don't think this is the case though.

There is a brick called a Durham Red and there is a breed of cow called a Durham and is sometimes known as a Durham Red.

Not from the pen of TB Grover, but in a (now apocryphal) flashback tale by Peter Hogan (& Mark Harrison), it was revealed that Red obtained the name Durham from her first husband.
Her name is therefore a misinterpretation; it should be 'Red Durham'.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 May, 2017, 09:47:19 AM
I presume they actually christened him Archibald, since that's his real name. Can't remember much about the Young Middenface series, so dunno if it tells us when he first acquired the nickname.

D'oh! I did know it was Archibald, as well...!
@jamesfeistdraws