Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: sheridan on 12 February, 2018, 12:38:28 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 12 February, 2018, 10:40:03 AM
The DVD release of The Young Ones was annoying because they removed the Subterranean Homesick Blues bit from 'Cash'.
The best way to watch The Young Ones is on an old VHS on a wooden telly.

Why did the edit it out?

Something to do with the rights for the song.

And, yes, we have a video from Harry the Bastard at Rumbelows but so far we can only get it to make toast. :lol:

JamesC

Sorry to double post - from Wikipedia:

The episode features a performance from Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve, a one-off conglomerate of high-profile rock musicians and theme writers, including Jools Holland, Simon Brint, Stewart Copeland and Chris Difford performing "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan. For contractual reasons, this was edited out of DVD releases in the past, but was reinstated for the 25th Anniversary edition.

On the original release DVDs, to go with the edit, the scenes of the main cast are cut, all bar the scene where they take Neil to the job centre. The band's name is also edited out of the credits, but rather than simply erase the name, the portion of credits with the group name is cut, with the credits before and after that intersected by a thick orange line, which also shows two sets of footage playing. However, when a total list of all cast members of all 12 episodes of the series are in the credits for "Summer Holiday", the names of the three musicians are not taken out.

glassstanley

Have we mentioned Bradley & Milton? Just had this pointed out to me!

Bad City Blue

Quote from: glassstanley on 23 March, 2018, 08:38:59 AM
aw ffs... I nver noticed that!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

BMCCOLL

Quote from: Dash Decent on 14 January, 2012, 11:54:57 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 January, 2012, 02:04:35 PM
Beat Les was their very first drummer.

I love that John Lennon comment when he was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world.

"He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles."

Urban myth I'm afraid, the quote was an old gag by the brilliant Jasper Carrott.

Dandontdare

Don't get it 

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 March, 2018, 06:35:29 PM

Don't get it 

I'm glad it's not just me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Tjm86

Bit of a face palm moment for me.  Just reached Prog 478 on the latest prog slog.  Reading Dredd: the Art of Kenny Who, I've just realised who he sits drinking with in the Boils Head.  Pretty sure we have a cameo from our great John Wagner.  Number of times I've read this and never noticed!

BMCCOLL

Prog 424, Dredd says about Chopper "... He's out. Now heading south on Lusardi!"

Sublime!

A.Cow

I've just been re-reading Dan Dare in early progs and have been scratching my head over a couple of easter eggs in The Doomsday Machine (prog 80-ish).

In the main picture I recognise the USS Enterprise, Biog Mothership, Thunderbird 3, Anastasia, Eagle Transporter, part of an X-Wing fighter, and the Metropolis Machine-Man.  And other panels include the Millennium Falcon cockpit, Sandcrawler tracks and Harrier jump jet.

I'm guessing that the obscured hanging object under the "Doomsday" banner is Thunderbird 2, and suspect that the ship next to the Machine-Man hand is Fireball XL5.

However, I'm totally flummoxed over the big ship behind the Enterprise saucer with swept-back wings and "WT..." visible.  Can anybody put me out of my misery?

(Also, is the striped vehicle (bottom left of this image) from anything?  Kinda looks familiar.)

sheridan

Quote from: A.Cow on 20 April, 2018, 11:49:36 PM
I've just been re-reading Dan Dare in early progs and have been scratching my head over a couple of easter eggs in The Doomsday Machine (prog 80-ish).

In the main picture I recognise the USS Enterprise, Biog Mothership, Thunderbird 3, Anastasia, Eagle Transporter, part of an X-Wing fighter, and the Metropolis Machine-Man.  And other panels include the Millennium Falcon cockpit, Sandcrawler tracks and Harrier jump jet.

I'm guessing that the obscured hanging object under the "Doomsday" banner is Thunderbird 2, and suspect that the ship next to the Machine-Man hand is Fireball XL5.

However, I'm totally flummoxed over the big ship behind the Enterprise saucer with swept-back wings and "WT..." visible.  Can anybody put me out of my misery?

(Also, is the striped vehicle (bottom left of this image) from anything?  Kinda looks familiar.)

The striped ship looks very Chris Foss-y to me (long-term Squaxx will remember his triptych of MC1 covers).

Timothy

Looks a bit like the Speedo Ghost.

Magnetica

Quote from: Timothy on 21 April, 2018, 08:29:08 AM
Looks a bit like the Speedo Ghost.

Ace Trucking was a few years off yet at that point.