Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Tresson

Ah... I had no idea.

Just googled it. I blame my age and lack of Vanity Fair for my stupidity.

ming

Quote from: GordonR on 18 December, 2013, 12:15:16 PM
Uhhh....

They're both referencing the same thing - the really, really famous magazine cover (was it Vanity Fair?) of a naked and heavily pregnant Demi Moore standing in that exact pose. (Sans gun, obviously...)

Chris Tresson

Yeah I saw that one, and a few others based on it too. The pensioner one is a bit grim...

Dandontdare

Johnny Vegas also did a version for a Guardian feature.

Chris Tresson

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 December, 2013, 12:33:12 PM
Johnny Vegas also did a version for a Guardian feature.

Nice... Haha.

shaolin_monkey

Chris Tresson

ming

This just came up in discussion on the FB art group... The classic Gary Rice / Brett Ewins Future Shock from Prog 206, 'The Last Man' bears a striking resemblance to a story published in Heavy Metal the very same month (April 1981).   As detailed in the blog linked to below, "'Good-bye, Soldier !', written by Ricardo Barreiro, with distinctive black and white art by Juan Giminez".

Anyone know whether this was printed in French earlier in Metal Hurlant?

You can see the whole story via the link below; too similar to be a coincidence, although Brett's visuals for the ending are unbeatable...

http://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.no/2011/04/heavy-metal-magazine-april-1981-heavy.html

Steve Green

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: ming on 16 March, 2014, 08:56:52 PM
This just came up in discussion on the FB art group... The classic Gary Rice / Brett Ewins Future Shock from Prog 206, 'The Last Man' bears a striking resemblance to a story published in Heavy Metal the very same month (April 1981).   As detailed in the blog linked to below, "'Good-bye, Soldier !', written by Ricardo Barreiro, with distinctive black and white art by Juan Giminez".

You can see the whole story via the link below; too similar to be a coincidence, although Brett's visuals for the ending are unbeatable...

http://theporporbooksblog.blogspot.no/2011/04/heavy-metal-magazine-april-1981-heavy.html
any chance of putting up (or linking to)the future shock?

Cheers.

Graff Vynda K

Here's one that's been bothering me for a while...

Radio Times, August 1975, Frank Bellamy illustrates the upcoming 'Terror of the Zygons'

...then hey presto, Trevor Goring produces the cover of Prog 38...

Coincidence? I don't think so, Trevor! :)

Steve Green

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 16 March, 2014, 09:39:43 PM

If you just google "the last man brett ewins" it's the first 3 images (not in order)

any chance of putting up (or linking to)the future shock?

Cheers.

ming

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 16 March, 2014, 09:39:43 PMany chance of putting up (or linking to)the future shock?

Well, here's the first page...

Skullmo

Love that story! I had it in a best of Heavy Metal collection.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Steve Green

Weird, I meant to say if you google "Brett Ewins Last Man" it pops up in the image search.