Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Y'know what really grinds my gears?  (Read 173748 times)

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
Re: Y'know what really grinds my gears?
« Reply #1575 on: 27 April, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »

Payable to Shark Enterprises Inc., of course...

~~~^~~~~~~~

Rest in peace, Dave.

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Lorne; it's a square thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: 28 April, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »
Damn, I'd finally got round to starting to sort out my comic boxes with the thought of selling off most and getting TPB if I really realy liked them with the funds raised... doesnt sound possible now...
DDT did a job on me

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: 28 April, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »
amateur epidemiologists. had a year of them, now. and it has proved to be even more dangerous, i suggest, than the notion of an amateur surgeon.

paddykafka

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: 29 April, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »
Words fail me.  >:(

https://www.thejournal.ie/meath-neolithic-monument-graffiti-5424080-Apr2021/#comments

Ah, for feck's sake.  I am a Meath man myself and have visited Lough Crew many times - it's always struck me as amazing that it does the same job as Newgrange (though it lets the light in at equinoxes rather than solstices), yet it's hardly known except by locals.  While it's lovely to see the lack of entry fees, guided tours, gift shops etc, this is a serious downside.  Wankers.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

paddykafka

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: 29 April, 2021, 07:38:04 PM »
I hear ya, Jayzus.

It is incidences of such brainless destruction like this that bring out my inner fascist. But if by some stroke of luck that the perpetrators were found, would sticking them in the stocks and letting them be pilloried with rotten fruit, vegetables and abuse etc for a few days be an over-reaction? At this point in time, I honestly don't think it would be.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Droning on and on relentlessly since the 70s
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: 29 April, 2021, 07:51:04 PM »
...would sticking them in the stocks and letting them be pilloried with rotten fruit, vegetables and abuse etc for a few days be an over-reaction?

Does the fruit have to be rotten?  Reckon I could get some appropriate momentum into an unripe avocado.

paddykafka

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: 29 April, 2021, 08:35:38 PM »
...would sticking them in the stocks and letting them be pilloried with rotten fruit, vegetables and abuse etc for a few days be an over-reaction?

Does the fruit have to be rotten?  Reckon I could get some appropriate momentum into an unripe avocado.

I like your way of thinking, Tordels. But no doubt, the limp-wristed liberals and do-gooders would have something to say about that. Hell, they'd probably be checking that the oranges were de-pipped first for Health & Safety reasons.

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: 29 April, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

Soon they'll just have their Covid Passports taken away and their UBI stopped.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Rest in peace, Dave.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: 30 April, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »
"...But no doubt, the limp-wristed liberals and do-gooders would have something to say about that..."

Are you in character as a Daily Mail reader here, satirising their attitudes? If not, this IS an over-reaction and pretty poor phrasing.

I say this because many, many years ago when I was finding my view of the world, I used the very same phrase as an insult and slur. I still regret it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: 30 April, 2021, 10:09:53 AM »

Are you in character as a Daily Mail reader here, satirising their attitudes?

Apologies for speaking on Paddy's behalf here but I took it that he was doing exactly that.

Personally, though my gut reaction is that I'd love to see the little feckers get a hiding for desecrating one of my favourite monuments, I know it would be wrong.  But I do think some kind of serious punishment is due here - for me this is roughly akin to someone graffitiing the Mona Lisa, for example, or knocking a chunk out of the Sphinx's face.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

paddykafka

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: 30 April, 2021, 11:00:36 AM »
"...But no doubt, the limp-wristed liberals and do-gooders would have something to say about that..."

Well, I thought my annoyance about de-pipping oranges would have been a hint, but yes, I was speaking in character.  :)

milstar

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: 30 April, 2021, 01:23:09 PM »
When I tell people to close doors and they haven't got enough decency to do it. Asshole. Btw, I can't stand the open doors.
Right you lot. Shut up, belt up, and if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: 30 April, 2021, 01:28:32 PM »

Well, I thought my annoyance about de-pipping oranges would have been a hint, but yes, I was speaking in character.  :)

Grand! Thought that was the case. Apologies just me projecting thirty plus year old guilt.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paddykafka

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: 30 April, 2021, 05:41:39 PM »
Nae worries, Tiplodocus and thanks, Jayzus, for stepping in on my defence.

I know how easily it can happen for comments or posts to be misinterpreted. And I've learned from bitter experience - to the point of near paranoia - to be VERY careful about what I say, how I say it, and to try my best to ensure, where possible that my words / phrasing do not cause offence. (Maybe we need someone out there to create an "I'm Really Not Being Serious" emoji, lol.)

As to the scrotes that committed the vandalism, in an ideal world, Slaine would have stepped out fully-formed from the walls, given the vandals an object lesson in ancient retribution, and he wouldn't have thought them too many.