Main Menu

I'll just put this here.

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 06 September, 2014, 10:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richmond Clements

Jim_Campbell

Someone should get Richard Pace to draw that.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Zenith 666

No frank miller no Nolan trilogy.Dark knight returns is the reason I still buy comics 2000ad doesnt count 2000ad is not a comic it's an essential.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 07 September, 2014, 08:46:39 PM
No frank miller no Nolan trilogy.Dark knight returns is the reason I still buy comics 2000ad doesnt count 2000ad is not a comic it's an essential.

Though both of those play on what he's become from what he was. So it should reassure you that they'd not be there if his early work had not been so important.

I say gold (though Born Again is by far the best thing he did!)

Hawkmumbler

As a creator Millers awful work far out way his good stuff. Holly Terror and DK2 are enough to sink his career into the ocean, say nothing of AS(rse)BAR.

Frank

Quote from: Killer Hawk Queen on 08 September, 2014, 07:31:27 AM
As a creator Millers awful work far out way his good stuff. Holly Terror and DK2 are enough to sink his career into the ocean, say nothing of AS(rse)BAR.

Nah, Elektra Assassin alone is such ludicrously goofy and imaginative fun - and Sienkiewicz's multimedia art so breathtakingly original and inventive - that it cancels out the Dark Knight sequel, which was only dull and lazy. Lots of comics are dull and lazy, but The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Elektra Lives Again, Give Me Liberty, Born Again, the original Sin City, 300, A Dame To Kill For, and That Yellow Bastard aren't among their ranks.

I haven't read even half of Miller's ouvre, but all of the above are fantastic fun, original, and astonishingly well executed comics that really don't have many equivalents in recent comics history - certainly not in the mainstream. Miller's worldview is really not my own, but if he was still putting out work of that quality I'd still be buying it. The hilarious parody Jim posted above burlesques Miller's vintage art style and authorial voice brilliantly, but if you'd shown me the distinctive panel layout without the art and captions I would have been able to identify the author being aped.

There aren't many creators whose work is so distinctive, and fewer still who can say that much of their work ranks amongst the best the medium has ever seen. The quality of Miller's work puts him up there with Moore at least, and their contributions to comics history rank them alongside the giants of the medium. I wouldn't want to get stuck beside Miller on a long train journey, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of his comics or an objective assessment of their merits.