General Chat > Music

Albums of the Year 2020

<< < (2/8) > >>

Greg M.:

--- Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 November, 2020, 09:58:22 AM ---I'm listening to the Cirith Ungol now. Lovely 80s style production on it.

--- End quote ---
Yeah - The Frost Monstreme is a particularly excellent track. The Kull record is my album of the year though - Bal-Sagoth but with a different singer. I hadn't realised what a Jonny and Chris Maudling-shaped gap there was in my musical life till this came along and reminded me of the glory days of Starfire Burning.

Barrington Boots:

--- Quote from: Lorenzo on 20 November, 2020, 11:06:50 AM ---God, this post makes me feel old - or you live in an alternate (death metal?) universe - I've never even heard of any of these groups, let alone listened to them  :lol:
I'm still very much one of those people that buys physical copies of music - you know, those shiny silver things - and I actually buy quite a lot.
--- End quote ---

I am also pretty old but I do live in a bit of a death metal bubble.
Physical consumption of music is 100% the way to go! 2020 has been good for me for having time to listen to records on Youtube / Bandcamp a few times to let them sink in, but then I much prefer buying an actual CD (or vinyl, if feeling flush) so enjoy properly with a sleeve and everything.

--- Quote from: Lorenzo on 20 November, 2020, 11:06:50 AM ---I have a strong suspicion this isn't your kind of thing... !!

--- End quote ---

Doesn't matter, hopefully everyone who comments will have some very different stuff! Outside of what you might hear on the radio, music needs to click with the listener on a personal level somehow so I wouldn't expect anyone to agree with me really.
I suspect it might be the case that these aren't my thing too, but I like hearing new music and I haven't heard of any of these records, so I'll check them out.

Barrington Boots:

--- Quote from: Greg M. on 20 November, 2020, 12:46:33 PM ---the glory days of Starfire Burning.

--- End quote ---

"The bloodying is at hand!"
We used to listen to that a lot in my university days. I haven't heard any Bal-Sagoth in years.

Digging the Cirith Ungol. I skipped it on release because I thought it might suck, I was wrong.

sintec:
I've been trying to cut back on CDs this year. Now I'm not commuting by car I find I tend to just listen to everything by streaming it off my server. Oh and I've also been warned that once I've filled my cabinet (about 100 more CDs) it's one in one out so I'm being picky.  Still buying vinyl for anything which has great cover art but otherwise it's digital from bandcamp mostly.

Anyway this years picks for me would be:

* Oranssi Pazuzu - Mestarin Kynsi
* Theologian & Lament Cityscape - Soft tissue (primarily for the cracking cover of PILs The Order of Death on the digital re-release)
* Killdren - Dismembers Of Parliment
* Clipping - Visions Of Bodies Being Burned
* JG Thirlwell & Simon Steensland ‎– Oscillospira
* 3Phaz - Three Phase
* Human Impact - Human Impact
* Somatic Responses ‎– Interlinked EP (ordered the limited print of the art for this as well as the 12" as it's gorgeous)
* Monolog - Everything At Zero
* Metalogue - Anomaly
The art from that Somatics EP:

BPP:
Idles
Space Dimension Controller
Shed
Ellen Allien
Metz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page