Main Menu

Meg 429: Supreme Justice.

Started by Tjm86, 13 February, 2021, 10:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 17 February, 2021, 12:33:02 PM
Isn't the Vigilante just a robot? (Much like Dredd himself is sometimes portrayed)
Loving it either way!

More like RoboCop!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Colin YNWA

Its kinda hard to have an objective view on the meg tonight. Its a good Meg, a very good Meg with all thrill firing on all cylinders. With the passing of Si Spencer however my thoughts were with The Returners, which has another fantastic episode after last months really hit its stride. But I'm not sure I can give my proper thoughts on that tonight after the news, I'm not sure I'm being objective.

Dredd is another wonderful one by Neimand with commanding art by Simon Coleby. There a wonderful moment when Dredd does something so atypical, and yet it doesn't feel out of character. I love the different ways he's sidelined Joe in both the Mega and The Prog and focused elsewhere, but done so in such different and effecting ways. Neimand is amongst the very best on Dredd, if not the best of modern Dredd writers.

He does a bag up job on Megatropolis too and Dave Taylor's art of course sings. Just astonishing stuff as we get closer to this worlds faceless dispenser of justice and learn of their links to Fargo.

Dreadnoughts probably wins top thrill this month as it just damn well sticks the landing so very, very well. Absolute superb way to end this first story with the good news that its back and Mike Carroll has written the next story already.

Deliverance wraps things up - the issue that is - horribly, as in the way horrible should be for this story, which is magnificently horrible.

Good text pieces and the only let down is the floppie content I'm about to get to in my Prog-Slog, which does sound so bad but its almost bloomin' over! Still if folks ain't read it this would be a good read I'm sure.

Overall though a wonderful issue and just a same that its read in such sad times and The Returners serves as a reminder of the talent that has left us.

Freddychopper

Great Meg issue. Top form at the moment. Best edition of the floppy for ages (Love Percival's Dredd) which got me thinking that hopefully at some point we will see the Dark Judges face off against Dredd sometime in the future with Percival on art duties.
I'm going to re-read all of the Returners again from scratch. Tribute to Si Spencer. :(

Magnetica

I've been a bit behind in my Meg reading lately. Did a complete read of both Megatroplis and Dreadnoughts over the last two nights.

Both are absolutely superb.

MumboJimbo

Just wanted to re-iterate what others have said, that the Meg is absolutely cracking at the mo, although that joy is obviously tempered by the very sad news of Si Spencer.

I don't normally get too affected by stuff I read, emotionally I mean, but for some reason the crowded prison in Dreadnoughtswith inmates chained up in one big room really disturbed me and I keep thinking about it. In general this series triggered me a lot in that regard, probably because of its near future setting, as how with recent events you could really see the world going this way, or at least America. A great new entry in the Deadworld though, and I'll be reading it all through in one big go probably later in the week.

The article on Future Shock Radio made me stop reading it and listen to Future Shock Radio instead, which I had no idea existed before I read about it in the Meg. I was really impressed! - high production values, biggish name comics like Al Murray, and whoever's doing the voice of Tharg is doing a stand-up job. One potential criticism is that the Future Shocks come over more as stories from Creep Show - ie horror, where somebody bad gets their comeuppance and the narrator (Tharg) is more like the Creep Show ghoul who presents it and takes joy from the nasty ending of the protagonist. But I rather liked it this way. It's much better than I was expecting for a subscriber freebie, really professionally done. Very much looking forward to the rest of them.

Wilko10

Destiny's Child -- A resonant tale that humanizes Dredd ever so slightly, whilst reinforcing how densely overpopulated Mega City-One has proven to be. As a citizen, you are only one of many, and your voice is often lost in the disparate cries of many more. It's a great example of Niemand's range.

Megatropolis -- Wow! This story goes from strength to strength. The plot is carefully unravelling itself, and Niemand is embracing his inner-Alan Moore with some clever juxtaposition of multiple narratives. Taylor's art is especially important in conveying this, with some captivating fiery tones contrasting cooler blues. I also greatly appreciate the application of cinematic techniques here, predominantly the framing and lighting of panels. Unbelievable craftsmanship at work here.

Dreadnoughts --No one illustrates rain like John Higgins. What a badass. There's a lightness of touch that makes this story more personal than anticipated, as Glover is revealed to be a mother, tying the childhood undertones together. Very excited to see the follow-up to this.

The Returners -- A bittersweet tale after the passing of Si Spencer. His storytelling is dialogue-driven with an emphasis on atmosphere, which this story has in spades. The shift in panels to a muted WW1 color scheme is understated.

Deliverance -- The Dark Judges are back in town! Everything else is pretty good, too.

Meg Rating -- 5/5

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Meg 428

1st - Dreadnoughts - the Carroll droid wins the Niemand/Carroll trophy this week.
2nd - Megatropolis - the art (chefs kiss)
3rd - Dredd

Strong Meg again, loved the floppy too. Had read The Gyre before but not the other story.

MumboJimbo

Wow. Just re-read Dreadnoughts from start to finish, and what an exceptional story. Very tightly plotted, with hardly a wasted panel, and a profound meditation on the way our society may be heading (or America's at any rate), all the while acting as an excellent origin story for the Judge system, and an excellent police procedural in its own right. And on top of that, wonderfully evocative art from Higgins and Hurst. One of the very best things I've read in Dreddworld.

Link Prime

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 02 March, 2021, 10:31:08 PM
Wow. Just re-read Dreadnoughts from start to finish, and what an exceptional story. Very tightly plotted, with hardly a wasted panel, and a profound meditation on the way our society may be heading (or America's at any rate), all the while acting as an excellent origin story for the Judge system, and an excellent police procedural in its own right. And on top of that, wonderfully evocative art from Higgins and Hurst. One of the very best things I've read in Dreddworld.

Seconded.
One of the very best things I have read by Carroll and Higgins respectively too, which is saying something.

Barrington Boots

Like a doofus I stopped buying the Meg at the end of the last Lawless run. Sounds like I missed a trick in Dreadnoughts.. if there's a collected edition I'll be right on it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 04 March, 2021, 03:09:37 PM
Like a doofus I stopped buying the Meg at the end of the last Lawless run. Sounds like I missed a trick in Dreadnoughts.. if there's a collected edition I'll be right on it.

Also Megatropolis, almost literally the series Dave Taylor was born to draw. There's definitely a collection coming of that — possibly an oversize hardcover, although I may have imagined that...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Megatropolis vol. 1 is indeed slated as a HC. Dreadnoughts is out in paperback in November.

https://2000ad.com/news/a-thrill-powered-year-unveiling-2000-ads-collections-schedule-for-2021/

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 March, 2021, 03:47:43 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 04 March, 2021, 03:09:37 PM

Also Megatropolis, almost literally the series Dave Taylor was born to draw. There's definitely a collection coming of that — possibly an oversize hardcover, although I may have imagined that...

Megatropolis is also excellent - but Dreadnoughts pips it for me.

This Meg run, including the 3 issues of Wagner Dredd, was maybe the strongest in years.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me