General Chat > Off Topic

The Dry Dog Thread

(1/5) > >>

Tjm86:
There are times when it feels a little like this forum is an extension of MIND with all the 'baggage' that a lot of us bring.  Linked to that then is the issue of 'self-medication' and particularly its potential overuse.  I doubt I'm alone in this regard but I know how much of a challenge it can be fighting it back.

So I'm setting myself (and anyone who wishes to join in) a challenge ... to stay 'dry' for as long as possible.  Starting today and counting on.  Target 1 - one week.  Given that this covers a weekend as well ...

I know that it doesn't take much at the moment to push me in the wrong direction and even this small target is likely to be a major challenge at the moment but what's life without challenges (anyone ever finds out, please let me know!)

Trooper McFad:
Good luck  Tjm86 👍🏻

I have a mate who was a big drinker and took us all by surprise and went cold turkey. Unfortunately this meant he stopped going out as he didn’t see the point if he didn’t/couldn’t drink. 🙁 haven’t seen him in a while I should give him a call.

I didn’t go cold turkey but I definitely cut back near the end of the first lockdown and now only drink on Friday & Saturdays * and even then it’s only 2/3 bottles of beer. Apart from reducing alcohol intake it’s helped my waistline.😁

I hope it all works out for you.

*The Euros have broken this for now so glad it’s almost over.

Funt Solo:
A member of our family is taking a break from alcohol, having realized (after a doctor visit) that their habit was going to be life-changing (or life-shortening, really). Their partner, who hardly drank anyway, has joined them in solidarity. It's been difficult to manage, and they had a whisky recently at a wake that made the whole project wobble significantly.

One of the trickiest parts is managing the social aspect - who to tell (when not wanting to make too big a deal of it), how to manage relatives whose response to the phrase "actually, we're having a bit of a dry house at the moment" was to turn up with champagne and gleefully pronounce "oops - I brought alcohol to the dry house" and then, of course, dealing with the addiction itself.

I feel lucky - my big problem was tobacco, and I managed to stop back in 2008. I still get cravings sometimes, although fewer than I used to. My brain still tells me some lies, as well. "Just one won't hurt", it whispers. Liar!

Barrington Boots:
Agree on the social aspect, I've done dry periods before and people seem to delight in trying to get you to break a resolution: endured constant mockery / attempts to get me to have 'just one' / even outright attempts to trick me into drinking alcohol. I had a similar experience when I went vegetarian.

It's all about having the right support group. If I / we can support you here, I will - it is a challenge, but it's definitely one worth tackling!

Trooper McFad:

--- Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 June, 2021, 04:37:35 PM ---A member of our family is taking a break from alcohol, having realized (after a doctor visit) that their habit was going to be life-changing (or life-shortening, really). Their partner, who hardly drank anyway, has joined them in solidarity. It's been difficult to manage, and they had a whisky recently at a wake that made the whole project wobble significantly.

One of the trickiest parts is managing the social aspect - who to tell (when not wanting to make too big a deal of it), how to manage relatives whose response to the phrase "actually, we're having a bit of a dry house at the moment" was to turn up with champagne and gleefully pronounce "oops - I brought alcohol to the dry house" and then, of course, dealing with the addiction itself.

I feel lucky - my big problem was tobacco, and I managed to stop back in 2008. I still get cravings sometimes, although fewer than I used to. My brain still tells me some lies, as well. "Just one won't hurt", it whispers. Liar!

--- End quote ---

The social aspect is huge hence my mate not going out. Society can be a powerful tool for good and bad when people just want to fit in but then the individuals propensity to addiction kicks in and affects us all in different ways.

Funt your cravings (even minor) after so many years goes to show how powerful the “addiction gene” can be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version