General Chat > Off Topic

Accurate Representation of Ethnicity in Historical Fictions

<< < (2/11) > >>

pauljholden:
Also: I think there's so much of interest to be explored in other cultures, that it really behoves 2000ad (and other publishers) to grab those voices in, let's have afrofuturism, let's have Liu Cixin's Three Body Problem, let's grab that rich resource of people that we've been busy ignoring so we can GET NEW AMAZING THINGS.

M.I.K.:
There was an advert on telly about 15 years ago, which had CGId the cast of Happy Days into it. I remember seeing some bloke upload it to YouTube as an example of an urealistic portrayal of history due to its ethnically diverse nature. He thought there were far too many people of colour hanging around with Fonzie and the gang and that this would never happen back in the 1950s.

The advert was for the Citroen C3. Everybody in the advert was driving one.

Mister Pops:

--- Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 04 July, 2021, 05:32:52 PM ---Everybody in history was a sort of grey colour. As we're the trees, the sky, the grass and everything. Evidence: Every film before approximately 1930 and every photograph before 1861. End of.

SBT

--- End quote ---

This is a pernicious attempt to cancel and ignore the sepia tones of the 19th century.

Nowadays Hollywood has managed to contain this phenomenon to Central America.

pauljholden:

--- Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 July, 2021, 07:41:24 PM ---There was an advert on telly about 15 years ago, which had CGId the cast of Happy Days into it. I remember seeing some bloke upload it to YouTube as an example of an urealistic portrayal of history due to its ethnically diverse nature. He thought there were far too many people of colour hanging around with Fonzie and the gang and that this would never happen back in the 1950s.

The advert was for the Citroen C3. Everybody in the advert was driving one.

--- End quote ---

Happy Days, of course, the absolutely accurate portrayal of 1950s America, was the show that introduced us to Mork.

First person of colour in that advert (I looked it up on youtube, was curious) is young girl who gets her dressed ripped away from her by the car, leaving her embarrassed in her bra and pants, so it's not exactly a shining example of progressive values.

IndigoPrime:

--- Quote from: pauljholden on 04 July, 2021, 07:14:26 PM ---BTW: I draw too many white people in Dredd, I'm aware of it, it's something I try every day to change.
--- End quote ---
One of my ongoing Dredd bugbears is how white and male everything is, from the leads to background characters. It’s good you’re looking into this, but I wish all 2000 AD Dredd artists would.

Pick 100 random people TODAY in the US as a whole and you’d get a broadly even gender split and 61 white people. 13 would be black. 18 would be Hispanic (some of which would be white Hispanic). 87% of law enforcement officers are men, admittedly, but you’d assume things would shift somewhat in over a century.

Also, if I see another story full of white male Judges where the only woman is a psi or a named character like Beeny, I’m going to scream.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version