Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 30 June, 2023, 10:16:21 PMThanks for highlighting these FP bargains. I'd kind of given up on comics but seeing the Light and Darkness War reminded me of an anthology that it was collected in that I had a few issues of, may have been called Meltdown. Within was something that has remained in my mind ever since, as my tiny brain could make no sense of it at the time. And here it is for a fiver in hardback:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/152692-the-adventures-of-cholly-flytrap-hardcover/

I had one issue of Meltdown and it had a 'next issue - Cholly and Flytrap' advert but I never got any more issues so have no idea what that strip was, but the name has always stayed with me!

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Le Fink on 01 July, 2023, 10:04:22 AMThanks, I was trying to remember what I'd seen it in, I had a few issues of that anthology too, don't think it lasted long. Didn't it have Akira in it as well?

Yes, Akira was in it, along with two Wagner/Grant written stories: Clive Barker's Nightbreed (art by Jim Baikie) and The Last American (art by Mike McMahon). It ran to 6 issues. I was quite shocked at the level of surrealness, violence and swearing at the time, I recall.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/meltdown/4050-52272/

Don't forget to factor in P&P on these FP deals before you pile your basket up high.

Le Fink

I had forgotten about that Nightbreed adaptation. Jim Baikie on art duty - will look out for a collection.

BadlyDrawnKano

Oops, wrong thread, sorry!

CalHab

Quote from: Le Fink on 04 July, 2023, 08:05:02 AMI had forgotten about that Nightbreed adaptation. Jim Baikie on art duty - will look out for a collection.

It's as good as I remembered it being. I picked up a bundle in my local comic shop a couple of months ago when they were clearing out back issues.

Proudhuff

A good find on Forbidden Planer's sale page:

Kingdom Of The Wicked (Hardcover)
Sale
Author: Ian Edginton
Artist: D'Israeli
Published by: Titan Books
£1.99
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

rogue69

Among the sale items on Forbidden PLanet's site I just found Peter Milligan's Dan Dare he who dares for £1.99 Simon Spurrier's Hookjaw for £2.99 Johnny Red: Volume 1: Falcons First Flight (Titan Edition) £2.99 Johnny Red: Volume 4: The Flying Gun (Hardcover) £2.99, Major Eazy: Volume 1 (Titan Edition) £4.99, Charley's War: Omnibus £5.00, Thrud the Barbarian £5.00

Proudhuff

FP sale page:

£60.00 Was £100.00 RRP £100.00

Not many left.

Sales of this item are limited to 2 per customer.
Delivery cost of this item to United Kingdom: £5.95
Once dispatched, estimated delivery within the United Kingdom is 3 to 5 working days
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

also FP:

£2.99 Was £20.69 RRP £29.99

Not many left.

Sales of this item are limited to 3 per customer.
Delivery cost of this item to United Kingdom: £2.25
Once dispatched, estimated delivery within the United Kingdom is 3 to 5 working days
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

They had a bunch of the non-signed editions in the London store for 50 quid. I didn't buy one. And then I ended up in London, with TCR being on my route back from a meeting. I just had to go in and... they had one left. Because of course they did. Damn it. (They had a couple of signed ones too, but I wasn't fussed about a signature.)

I'd love to know how they mail these. Last time I ordered a book from FPI, it was a Doctor Who Complete Year One. That's a chunky book, for sure, but it rocked up in a MASSIVE box, with tons of packaging. I half wonder if an Apex would show up on the back of a lorry.

IndigoPrime

Also good from FP: the second Witchfinder HC omni for £12. And Destroy All Monsters and (bookplate) The Ghost In You for £13 each.

rogue69

Forbidden Planet now has a graphic novel sale with books starting from just £1.99

BadlyDrawnKano

I was in Forbidden Planet yesterday and picked up the first Johnny Red hardback for £1.99, Paul Cornell's The Third Doctor graphic novel for £2.99, Peter Milligan's The Mummy for 99p and Dan Dare Mission Of The Earthmen for £2.99, to be honest I could have spent a lot more but with Christmas coming up I forced myself to walk away with just those!

Colin YNWA

Knew we had a thread for this type of thing. So here I am on my holidays in the Netherlands and managed to blag a visit to a comic shop while we were in Amsterdam - I mean I want for 2 but that was over optimistic and to be fair we were in Amsterdam so its not like there is a gazillion other super fun things to do.

So anyway if you are ever in the city check out Comics Import Amsterdam - or CIA Comics for short. Its just by The Anne Frank Museum... which it could be suggested is a more significent thing to visit but I've been there before, so... ANYWAY. CIA comics I popped in and spent a glorious 45 minutes in the most incredible comic shop I think I've ever been to. The place is a mess, but I just spent the time chatting to the wonderful owner Charles who is simply lovely and a delight to talk to. The fella has over 2 MILLION (!!!!) comics in his shop (with a door with loads of sketches on, I recognised the one by Will Simpson which was my opening conversation piece and that seems to get him really talking). He has another million in his own personal collection.

He's a font of knowledge and seems to know everyone and everything. We chatted for the whole 45 minutes I was in there and frankly I'd have spent the day there chatting quite happily.

Now to be fair its next to impossible to look through most of the stuff unless you have like 2 days BUT even the stuff I was glancing at as we chatted unearthed some AMAZING deals. I got a hardcover collection of Gilbert Hernandez - which is really hard to get these days for 20 Euros - cos it had a bit of damage on it! I checked he was sure and he said it was fine. So I picked up a couple of other bits cos I felt I should he was giving me such a good deal on the book and he gave me a massive discount on those as well. At which point I stopped looking as I felt guilty.

Such a great shop, if you are in Amsterdam really check it out. If you like Marvel and DC take plenty of money as you will find some AMAZING stuff. He did tell me if I brought the kids next time he'd take them in trade... I'm going to discuss it with missus YNWA... I mean we have two so that makes one spare right... right...

...oh and two gorgeous dogs roam the comics and and so lovely and like a fuss. They sit on the comic boxes as you flick through and lick your face if you let them. Charles offers to make them stop but I love dogs so I just played with them!