Main Menu

Kingdom of the Blind

Started by Richmond Clements, 21 November, 2004, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Devons Daddy

i read bad moon rising.
whilst i agreed with your review factually, the novel failed to deliver for me. i was not able to see Dredd in the manner he was shown.

if this novel is in the same vain i may be skipping it. though overall i have felt the quality of the paperbacks has been excellent far greater then the last time we had such publications by Virgin.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

davidbishop

One point of note from your review: Kingdom of the Blind was never conceived or considered as an audio adventure for Big Finish . It was created solely for Black Flame.

davidbishop

Richmond Clements

Dammit!!

...can't be right all the time..!
Thanks David.

McNulty

I've just finished reading Kingdom of the Blind and I've got to say that I enjoyed it. Like Bad Moon Rising and the Virgin books I also read, Bishop has a narrative style that I can really get to grips with. He gives us well defined characters with bags of background on them and their lives, without getting mired in the techno-babble that some other authors feel they need to give us in science fiction novels.
I also was happy that he felt that he could resurrect characters he introduced in earlier novels, as well as feeling that he could include existing characters from Dredd's world. His knowledge of Dredd's world is obviously evident, although he takes the time to give us the proper background, as not to alienate those readers not as well versed as others.
The story in this case held my attention throughout. With Dredd himself, he focussed on a particular part of his character we can easily identify - his utter determination not to give up! He gets shot full of holes, has emergency surgery on the steps of the Grand Hall of Justice and still refuses to stay down! To paraphrase another story "For he is a Judge, and it is his duty!"

In many ways I see a lot of my writing style in David Bishop's books. I suppose that is why I enjoy reading them. I look forward to more in the future.

davidbishop

If you enjoyed Kingdom of the Blind, you should love Nikolai Dante: The Strangelove Gambit - I had much more fun writing it and that shows in the prose.

I suspect my first Nightmare on Elm Street novel is due out soon too, since six author's copies turned up an hour ago.

Meanwhile, it's back to work on my first Fiends of the Eastern Front novel, Operation Vampyr.

davidbishop, shameless purveyer of hype

Byron Virgo

"my first Nightmare on Elm Street novel"

???

Art

Last i heard there were Friday The 13th and Final Destination novels being propossed too.

Personally I'm going for the Fiends one, because it seems like it could be fun.

davidbishop

Well, I'm having a blast writing it. Just finished a dogfight between a Rumanian Hurricane and a Russian Rata. Next, Panzers, snipers and a mist that moves from building to building killing the enemy...

Operation Vampyr is the first is a proposed trilogy of Fiends novels. Book One is told from the viewpoint of German soldiers, flyers and tank crews during the opening months of Operation Barbarossa.

Book Two: The Bloody Red Army, takes the Russian viewpoint during the Siege of Leningrad in 1942.

As for Nightmare on Elm Street, the Black Flame imprint has other licences besides those for novels based on 2000 AD character universes. Among its other brands is the licence to published novels based on A Nightmare on Elm Street, Jason X, Final Destination, Friday the 13th and others...

davidbishop

Byron Virgo

"A Nightmare on Elm Street, Jason X, Final Destination, Friday the 13th and others..."

Weird...I mean, no defamation of the quality of the writing, but who would buy these books?

[There again, I suppose the question could also be levelled at the 2000AD imprint too, and they seem to be doing quite well.]

ukdane

David,
Can we assume that you are writing the entire Fiends trilogy, or only book one?
Cheers

-Daney

McNulty

I'm just starting to read The Strangelove Gambit but I'm happy to hear that there will be more books. I am especially looking forward to the Fiends of the Eastern Front book.

davidbishop

I've been formally commissioned for Fiends 2: The Bloody Red Army, and discussions have begun about a third volume of Fiends.

Hope you enjoy The Strangelove Gambit, McNulty. My next Dante, Honour Be Damned, is already written...

davidbishop, busy, busy, busy

longmanshort

My god, the man's a machine ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

WoD

He's a droid...what you expect?