Main Menu

Recent posts

Prog / Re: Prog 2381: A grizzly fate
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 04:51:05 PM
I'm not sure that's how the creators see things though. When I suggested to Rob W that Dredd was somewhat ineffective in A Better World, he... passionately disagreed with me. (Which is fair enough. His story and all.)

I've no idea what the aim was for this latest ending. I really liked that it just dumped you into this odd little story and that Dredd was shown up a bit when out of his element (even if he's not always in stories). And then the cadet may as well have worn a red jumper. It can't even be the whole 'woe is Dredd – death is coming even for him' thing, because that's been going since the 600s in 2000 AD and he has plot armour. It's not going to happen. The only way Dredd will end is if 2000 AD ends. And even then, I doubt it would. The IP is too valuable.

So, clearly, I'm missing something obvious. Or perhaps the cruelty is the point. In which case, that kind of puts me off it even more. And that's really frustrating because if it wasn't for that last page (or even that one frame confirming Cadet Killed By Dredd #47), the story would have been so much more tense, and had a sliver of hope.
Off Topic / Re: Life is riddled with a pro...
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 04:49:42 PM
I love that idea. My cat is doing his best but he's a fairly incompetent little guy and doesn't eat as many moths as I'd like.

Tooth still fairly grievous, but thank you for asking! Only two weeks till it can come out.
Last post by The Legendary Shark - Today at 03:57:29 PM

I wonder if you could hire or buy a pet bat?

How's your tooth situation? Improving, I hope.

News / Re: The Great Dante Readthroug...
Last post by JayzusB.Christ - Today at 03:44:00 PM
Just got through this one too - really enjoyable as always.  And I was never quite comfortable with all the homophobic jibes thrown at Papa Yeltsin.  He was almost certainly based on Uncle Monty from Withnail and I, who was also a sexually-forthright gay character, but Monty was never subjected to all that abuse by the other characters.
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 03:35:32 PM
I think that's a really, really good reading of things. Between Better World and this tale, Dredd does look old and a bit rubbish.

My problem is, as a reader I know Dredd will just plough on due to his IP value, so the tease of any big change seems hollow given how we've seen changes handled before. I'd love to be proved wrong though.
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:24:24 PM
It was dreadful to see Moon's promise fade to (probably) naught.

Playing devil's advocate, though, I think this could be part of an interesting meta. By the end of A Better World, it's clear that Dredd is losing control. I mean, literally, he's swamped by perps and crying out for Control, and not receiving any help. It's not just that he's lost faith in a leader (that's happened before), although he does seem now partially estranged from Logan. He has support in Beeny, but that only speaks to a wider split within Justice Department. Hernandez represents the Street Judges - and really that's where you might expect Dredd to command respect, but now they don't see their future in him. The SJS tidy away Maitland's evidence, so Maitland is both actually and metaphorically buried by the Department.

So, who can he turn to for support? Perhaps the Cadets? But Rend & Tear With Tooth & Claw shows us both that he needs support (he wouldn't have survived without Moon, or the perp - he's getting old, clumsy, his missions fail before, or just after, they get off the ground) but also can't reciprocate. At the end, he has to be alone (having, really, failed) - and realizing that death is coming - and not just for Arctos. Look at how small he is in the final frame.

It's bleak - yes - but I think it might be poetry.
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 03:08:21 PM
Dealing with a moth infestation here at Casa Boots. It turns out having a big pile of mouldering heavy metal t-shirts stored essentially on the floor is not best practice.

As a veggie and part-time hippy I try to avoid killing stuff but I've had to buy one of those horrible glue trap things and its rapildy filling up with tiny corpses.
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 02:16:49 PM
It's interesting to see what has and hasn't gone out of stock pretty quickly. Some of these books suggest some pent-up demand. Born Bad vanished absurdly rapidly. Armoured Gideon was gone quickly too. Leviathan didn't stick around for long. And War Machine didn't either.

I was surprised that the first Button Man had gone when I went to order it as well. I was considering buying that pair to replace my trades. Oh well. You snooze, you lose, etc.
Classifieds / John Higgins artwork for sale ...
Last post by rogue69 - Today at 01:46:57 PM
World of Superheroes are selling some of John Higgins original artwork some going back to the 1980's, sorry only 1 piece of 2000AD artwork though

https://worldofsuperheroes.com/collections/john-higgins-1