Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Yep it is a piece of gold - took me an age to track it down so I could watch it again and its been an even longer age since I've seen the play live.

JayzusB.Christ

I've only just started watching the Mandalorian recently, but this being the Covid era, I'm already up to date.  It's brilliant, isn't it?  Captures the epic feeling of the original trilogy in a way that none of the movies since have managed.

Also, I'm pleased to note, the response to 'may the Force be with you' really is 'and also with you'.  I can't remember it from the movies, but Irish people of my generation have been responding to jocular uses of 'may the Force be with you*' this way for years - it's a tic we've picked up from the 'peace be with you' part of attending Mass.

*Or 'May the Fourth be with you' which approximately 5 people will text on that date every year.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 November, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
Captures the epic feeling of the original trilogy in a way that none of the movies since have managed.

I would argue that both Solo and Rogue One captured the magic of the original trilogy.

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

You know what they say about what sorts of things you can and can't polish. And hey, at least it wasn't Attack of the Clones!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 November, 2020, 02:48:39 PM
at least it wasn't Attack of the Clones!

Which oddly always stirs the most intriguing of memories and interest, and then you watch it.

TordelBack

Mando Chapter 10 seems to be getting a bit of a kicking around the place, but I thought it was fantastic fun. Proper bit of world building, and that Child is a right little shit!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 November, 2020, 12:53:44 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 November, 2020, 12:43:23 PM
Captures the epic feeling of the original trilogy in a way that none of the movies since have managed.

I would argue that both Solo and Rogue One captured the magic of the original trilogy.

I completely disagree - they were both total garbage.

Actually I haven't seen either of them.  I might now, though, with your recommendation.  (In Solo's case, I was sore that that young guy on Youtube who looked and sounded exactly like Harrison Ford didn't get the part, and as for Rogue One, I kept meaning to watch it then let it slide.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 November, 2020, 08:00:05 PM
Mando Chapter 10 seems to be getting a bit of a kicking around the place, but I thought it was fantastic fun. Proper bit of world building, and that Child is a right little shit!

Where I think Mando has been consistently hitting the spot is in the moments with him and the lad, and it doesn't shy away from the survival challenge and danger of the SW Galaxy –even down to the simple matter of innocently eating a few eggs– but this season's story of the week format is working a lot better than last season's. I can't complain.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 October, 2020, 07:50:48 PM
***SPOILERS***: [spoiler]I wonder how the Disney-isn't-Star-Wars-and-Chuck-Wendig-is-a-Cuck crowd will react to Favreau using the entirety of the Empire's End version of the story of Fett's armour, verbatim? [/spoiler]

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 November, 2020, 08:00:05 PM
Mando Chapter 10 seems to be getting a bit of a kicking around the place...

I like you Mister Back, but you seem much too concerned with the opinion of weird internet weirdos.

'Tis a fine show, a welcome return to episodic adventures. Nutrek and Kurtzmann should take note.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Enjoyed it very much, but I was kind of stumbling on the whole "it's supposed to be funny he's [spoiler]eating her babies[/spoiler]" thing.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 07 November, 2020, 10:10:13 PM
I like you Mister Back, but you seem much too concerned with the opinion of weird internet weirdos.

I will take your views to heart.

;)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 November, 2020, 10:33:35 PM
Enjoyed it very much, but I was kind of stumbling on the whole "it's supposed to be funny he's [spoiler]eating her babies[/spoiler]" thing.

I kind of thought the same thing - I'd thought it was leading up to some [spoiler]meaningful moment of empathy toward other desperate children when he was touching the jar[/spoiler].  It was the first time I thought of him as a bit of a little bollix - he also [spoiler][spoiler]caused the spider-attack[/spoiler][/spoiler] with his bullshit.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 November, 2020, 10:33:35 PM

Yeah, that was a bit weird. I guess it was riffing on [spoiler]how much he liked to eat frogs, and just the fact it's a sometimes naughty child that doesn't know any better[/spoiler] but I exclaimed at the time[spoiler] "You can't eat her BABIES!"[/spoiler] It was quite dark, but I like my humour dark, so I had no problems laughing at it.

I chained the Disney Gallery specials on the first season this weekend. It was both fascinating, enjoyable, and strangely emotional. Everyone involved in the making are clearly enormous Star Wars fans, and that came across loud and clear. Just listening to them chatting about their favourite bits from the OT had me wiping some dust out of my eyes. Plus 'The Volume' - what an extraordinary way to make TV and films! Revolutionary!