Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: broodblik on 29 October, 2018, 02:09:53 PMYes he did some Doomlord

"Some Doomlord" undersells Bradbury's role on the strip a little :) I don't have my spreadsheets to hand, but I think he turned in some 500+ pages of art for his run on Doomlord over several years, and I'd argue he was the definitive Doomlord artist (though I have a real soft spot for Heinzl/Alberto Giolitti's work on The Deathlords and a couple of other tales, and the photostory strips)

He's certainly one of the great unsung artists of British comics, both in terms of his wonderful style and in terms of the sheer volume of art he produced, and it's brilliant to see Rebellion's publication schedule filling up with Bradbury's work and going some way to redressing the balance.

broodblik

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 29 October, 2018, 03:59:16 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 29 October, 2018, 02:09:53 PMYes he did some Doomlord

"Some Doomlord" undersells Bradbury's role on the strip a little :) I don't have my spreadsheets to hand, but I think he turned in some 500+ pages of art for his run on Doomlord over several years, and I'd argue he was the definitive Doomlord artist (though I have a real soft spot for Heinzl/Alberto Giolitti's work on The Deathlords and a couple of other tales, and the photostory strips)

He's certainly one of the great unsung artists of British comics, both in terms of his wonderful style and in terms of the sheer volume of art he produced, and it's brilliant to see Rebellion's publication schedule filling up with Bradbury's work and going some way to redressing the balance.

You are correct I am underselling him  , he is as you said one of the greatest British artists. He is the reason for me to getting into Doomlord.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 October, 2018, 03:41:44 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 29 October, 2018, 01:08:54 PM
I know Thirteen Floor and Monster got all the attention at the time, but I really loved Scream!'s version of Dracula.  Probably Eric Bradbury's magnum opus (though I've only seen his Scream! and 2000AD stuff - did he get anything in Eagle in the early 1980s?

From the pages of BATTLE, Invasion 1984 (with TB Grover), which is being reprinted next year.

https://downthetubes.net/?p=101788
http://www.simonandschuster.co.uk/books/Invasion-1984/John-Wagner/9781781086759

Whoa, how's Bill Savage gonna deal with this one!?
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

How could I forget Doomlord?  After I bought that collected edition a few years back too (I know the art in the collected edition was by Heinzl).

Looking forward to seeing the Invasion story - heard of it but never seen it!

JayzusB.Christ

Really enjoyed that podcast! I loved Scream as a kid (before my mother banned it) and now I really want to revisit the Dracula Files.

Also great to hear the phrase 'mouth of teeth'; reminding me that your ma's from this side of the Irish sea (unlike my own, who's from Peter Kay country).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 October, 2018, 07:56:10 PM
Really enjoyed that podcast! I loved Scream as a kid (before my mother banned it) and now I really want to revisit the Dracula Files.

Also great to hear the phrase 'mouth of teeth'; reminding me that your ma's from this side of the Irish sea (unlike my own, who's from Peter Kay country).
Cheers, JBC. As soon as I said it I was kicking myself that I didn't say "a mouthful of teeth" which is, I think, the correct Irish expression as my mum uses it.  :-[

JayzusB.Christ

:D The way you said it is the way I've heard it in the past!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

Seeing that Battle cover gave me a fright - I'm in that issue :-)

[Well almost definitely... definitely rings a bell as a cover and it was Aug '83 anyway]

Eamonn Clarke

Dave Heeley from the 1977-2000AD Facebook group joined me at the Birmingham ICE convention to discuss the great Dredd epic that nearly saw the end of the character. This episode was recorded before the sad news of the passing of Carlos Ezquerra who was one of the true legends of British comics. His beautiful work on Necropolis is just one of the many stunning creations we have to remember him by.

Listen in at
http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/11/79-necropolis.html
or through apple podcasts at
https://t.co/B5cSVzTBmY

Eamonn Clarke

Somehow I managed to lop off the ending of this episode, just uploaded the full version for an extra 45 seconds of goodbyes.

Greg M.

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 12 November, 2018, 08:32:48 AM
And a superb grail page for Dave. With Carlos in all his magnificence.

Which I own! Had a chat with Dave on this topic - it's his favourite Carlos page ever, but it's probably mine too, unfortunately (for Dave!)

Hudge_Jeeley

Eamonn Clarke

David Broughton is my latest guest and he has chosen Shakara the Avenger by Robbie Morrison and Henry Flint. We also chat about his own comics including Slaughter Hawk and Shamen Kane.

Listen in at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2018/11/80-shakara.html