Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Yes indeed - and yes, I did know. Starring Joe from Family Guy no less! Who is a great Tick, but from what I saw of that series as a youngling it was a little ahead of its time in what was actually achievable for 'superheroes'. After the glorious silliness of the cartoon show, the superhero banter at a diner (SuperNightHawks) fell a little short.

Season 2 is *great*.

Mardroid

I enjoyed The Tick a lot. Both live action incarnations. (I haven't seen all of the cartoon, but I remember enjoying that too.)

I tend to be cynical of remakes of I liked the original, but the Serafonwitz works very well. I miss a couple of the characters from the more sitcommy previous version though. But there are others, that are good.

Latest series I've been watching: I binged both series of Cobra Kai recently. While I find some of the acting a bit cheesy, (or maybe it's more an 'acting style thing. It feels rather eighties, albeit being set in the present day) I really do like it. Like how it's as much about Danny's previous nemesis Johnny Lawrence as Danny himself, if not more so. I really like how it fleshes out the character more, and the new kid characters are okay.

I never thought I'd see an episode about guys who were former bullies and come very close to tears. In a good way. Great stuff.

Very much looking forward to Season 3.

Theblazeuk

Yes, no Batmanuel/Die Fledermaus, American Maid or The Living Doll (I imagine he might make an appearance though... You can't beat me, I'm made of tinier men! Maybe he was just a cartoon thing).

Tiplodocus

BARRY with Bill Hader as a hitman in Hollywood is excellent!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 May, 2019, 12:12:55 AM
BARRY with Bill Hader as a hitman in Hollywood is excellent!

Yep - mentioned this a few pages back. Season 2 is even better.

Tiplodocus

A couple of things stand out for me; the fantastic cast of supporting characters (Henry Winkler is having a ball, it would seem) and the economy of the story telling. Within about two minutes of the first episode you've learnt about Barry, his job and his emotional mental state. Within five minutes you have the basic story premise laid out for you. And then they start building on that.

Plus so far the action has all been clear, laid out and essential to moving the story forward.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

The cast are all excellent - Bill Hader, as well as being incredibly funny has serious dramatic chops. The actress who plays Sally is amazing - I gather she doesn't have a lot of screen credits but is a big deal serious stage actress, and it shows. Winkler is great, and Stephen Root is brilliant as ever.

But the clear standout is the guy who plays Hank - never seen him in anything before, but he's one of the most naturally funny performers and characters I've seen in recent years. Almsot everything he says is instantly quotable.

radiator

There's an episode midway through season 2 (directed by Hader himself) that is essentially a single location short film that plays out in real time. It's outstandingly good.

Apestrife

True detective season 3. Was alright. Wish it had more family stuff. Would'v made the ending more interesting I think.  Not seen season 2, good?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell
link=topic=37461.msg1002620#msg1002620
date=1552171208

Doom Patrol Episode 4... You saw that, right? I
didn't imagine that...?

Just got to it - a disembodied blue horse's head with a spike in it, chewing gum of knowing, and assassins made out of dead skin and letters that were never sent (amongst other insanities).

This is one gloriously mad show and I f*cking Love It!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 May, 2019, 06:12:36 PM
This is one gloriously mad show and I f*cking Love It!

Yeah... it's as mad as a sack of badgers, but brilliant. The fact they don't put a credit in there for Grant Morrison strikes a slightly sour note for me, but I never thought I'd see the day when a TV show threw this much of G-Moz's Doom Patrol at the screen.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I've never read the comics so I don't know what to expect - but this is a Good Thing as it's all new to me. I find most of the DC stuff pretty bland, with one or two notable exceptions, but this is utterly superb so far.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 May, 2019, 10:54:57 PM
I've never read the comics so I don't know what to expect - but this is a Good Thing as it's all new to me. I find most of the DC stuff pretty bland, with one or two notable exceptions, but this is utterly superb so far.

It's basically a smash-and-grab raid on the Morrison/Case Doom Patrol run, which is also brilliant. The 'Underground' episode, for example, is pretty much a straight lift of the same issue from the comic.

It's fair to say that Case isn't the greatest artist who ever lived, but at the same time he drew the overwhelming majority of Morrison's forty-odd issues and I can imagine many artists looking at just one of Mozza's scripts and throwing the pages out of the window with a cry of "How the fuck am I supposed to draw any of that?"

One of my favourite runs of any comic, ever.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

I watched the first two series of The OA recently.

Very interesting and very weird. The second series works particularly well in being rather different from the first, yet continuing the story well.

Good characters. Endearing lead actress. And kinda nuts. [spoiler]Those freaky moves... amusing or kinda scary, with all those faces and hissing, etc? A bit of both?

It's interesting that the second series introduced the idea that the movements can be replicated with machines, meaning that extra-dimensional travellers need not find a new gang of five every time they want to hop -(although, I'd have thought constructing automatons every time could be just as difficult in it's own way. Once you've done it, you need not do so again, I guess, should you learn to select your destination).

I always thought there was a spiritual aspect to using the five however. How do robots leave their home doors open? Yes, that last question just shows how weird this show is.[/spoiler]

Rately

Quote from: radiator on 16 May, 2019, 05:35:13 PM
The cast are all excellent - Bill Hader, as well as being incredibly funny has serious dramatic chops. The actress who plays Sally is amazing - I gather she doesn't have a lot of screen credits but is a big deal serious stage actress, and it shows. Winkler is great, and Stephen Root is brilliant as ever.

But the clear standout is the guy who plays Hank - never seen him in anything before, but he's one of the most naturally funny performers and characters I've seen in recent years. Almsot everything he says is instantly quotable.

Henry Winkler and Stephen Root? I'm in!!!