Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: wedgeski on 12 March, 2021, 09:04:53 AM
Quote from: pictsy on 11 March, 2021, 10:49:58 PM
This is a highly entertaining film.  It's hyper-violent post-apocalypse with aesthetics of an 80's kids toy thrown in.  Plus Michael Ironside plays the villain.  That was delightful to see.
If this is your bag and you haven't already seen it, Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone is another fine example of Ironside metal, if you can put up with the film's exploitative nonsense.

I loved that film although it's been years since I've seen it.  [spoiler]Bounty hunters.Android ladies. Cursed Earth (sort of). Creepy mutant kids. A giant cyborg. And what was with those attractive but bad ladies who seemed to live in an underground river?[/spoiler]  Silly, a little scary in places (for younger me, although present day me would shrug it off. It was mainly those [spoiler]mutant kids[/spoiler]) but a lot of fun.

Thinking back, I can see why you thought it exploitative though, although it didn't really register at the time.

Jim_Campbell

Galaxy Quest which, bafflingly, I've never seen. It's basically perfect. Everyone in it is perfectly cast, the gags land brilliantly, the plot (which, let's face it, isn't really the selling point here) trots along at a brisk clip and resolves satisfactorily.

If, like me, you've somehow not managed to see this until now, it's streaming free on Netflix (£2.49 to rent on Prime) and I thoroughly recommend it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

By Grabthar's Hammer, he's right. And it's got Sam Rockwell in it. Always a plus.

---

Mulan (2020) - if you enjoyed The Water Margin (TV show that played in the same schedule slot as Monkey in the 80s) then you'll enjoy this slice of OTT wuxia that explores themes of honor, acceptance, bravery and nobility. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 March, 2021, 01:25:04 PM
Galaxy Quest which, bafflingly, I've never seen. It's basically perfect. Everyone in it is perfectly cast, the gags land brilliantly, the plot (which, let's face it, isn't really the selling point here) trots along at a brisk clip and resolves satisfactorily.

If, like me, you've somehow not managed to see this until now, it's streaming free on Netflix (£2.49 to rent on Prime) and I thoroughly recommend it.
I love Galaxy Quest, but I when I saw it in the cinema there was one scene that is now changed by one word. I would love to get an unchanged version although I know that is unlikely to happen.

Barrington Boots

It's a thumbs down from me for both Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (looks great, is awful) and I suspect controversially also Galaxy Quest, which I tried this weekend and couldn't even get halfway through.

Blade II I could watch again and again however. All the best bits in Blade (original) are in the first 15minutes. Any Blade film following is dire. But Blade II hits the spot. It's a very comicbook movie imo - shallow, brash, exciting - the bit where the Bloodpack are introduced could be straight out of something like early X-Force.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

The Ice Pirates

This shares some problems with Spacehunter and despite not being as nice looking, Ice Pirates is definitely the better film.  I think it may be a comedy.  They were certainly trying to be funny.  The film does have an instance of a notably offensive racial slur and does have casual racism despite it's efforts not to be racist.  It's not quite as exploitative towards women as Spacehunter, but it's not especially respectful either.  It is a lot of weird fun and I found it mostly entertaining.  It is a collection of things that happen, one of those journey is more important than destination type films.

It has a young Ron Perlman in it as well.

wedgeski

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 March, 2021, 01:18:57 PM
Thinking back, I can see why you thought it exploitative though, although it didn't really register at the time.
12 year-old me wouldn't have known the meaning of the word! I loved the villain, fancied Molly Ringwald, thought the effects were pretty good, and we had a thing for Mad Max in our house, so anything in that vein was a-okay. Having watched it again recently, its problems couldn't be more obvious, yet I still enjoyed it. :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Professor and the Madman

Mel Gibson, Sean Penn and a host of recognisable Brits tell the tale of the Oxford Dictionary. It was engaging and interesting and well performed. Sean Penn has a lived in face. Mel Gibson mangles a Scottish accent but not as badly as you would expect.

I enjoyed it.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

Sound of Metal

This was a phenomenally good film with a trio of truly amazing central performances at its center - the guy who plays the character of Joe was all the more impressive for being a virtual unknown. Something about the themes of the movie really struck a chord with me. Not because I am deaf, or really have a comparable condition to that of the main character (played by Riz Ahmed). It was more something about his particular personality type that really resonated with me on a deeper level.

Colin YNWA

I finished watching Aquaman last night. I don't think I've ever seen a movie so shiny, everything so shiny and hyper-real. The action sequences so shiny and hyper-real. Even the lighthouse and the lawns and hills that surrounded it, so shiny and hyper-real - reminded me of the farmhouse in Babe!

When the giant lobster crab lava beast smashed out the ground I expected Jemaine Clement to burst into 'Shiny' from Moana and The Rock to jump on to start a duet with Jason Mermoa.

Given the subject matter this isn't such a bad thing. Nor the fact that its tongue was thrust so firmly into its cheek that it ached. It was such a bubblegum movie. I wasn't really giving it 100% attention but I don't think at any point I was confused or lost. It lended into to many simple cliche story points it was simple and easy to follow. The trouble was for all the shiny, for all the hyper-real that lack of anything, anything to say at all meant it was still quite dull and therefore didn't hold my attention 100%.

I don't think I enjoyed it as much as it washed over me like a warm friendly light wave on a sunny shore and then quickly retreated leaving bearly a mark.

pictsy

Space Raiders

This was alright.  It's structure is simple enough, but a little odd.  There are a couple of threads just left dangling and the film doesn't bother explaining it's world too much.  Capitalist future and pirates.  I don't think it needs to explain anything more.  There is a slight space western feel to the film, but it doesn't lean too much into it.  So a bunch of raiders accidentally kidnap a child and go about trying to return him home.  Yeah, it was alright.  Not as fun as The Ice Pirates but certainly more interesting the Spacehunter.  Next up, I'll be revisiting Krull

As for Aquaman, I remember that being an intense explosion of colour.  I think there might have been dialogue and an attempt at a story or something.  Who knows with everything whizzing about on screen.  I ended up liking it for the spectacle.

Dandontdare

Might give Aquaman a go tonight - it didn't appeal enough for me to see it at the cinema, but it was a close decision. I probably would have gone to see Wonder Woman 1984 on the big screen, but Amazon can fuck their £16 for one week's rental.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 March, 2021, 01:25:04 PM

Did you notice Sigourney Weaver's dubbing? I didn't until it was pointed out.

https://whatculture.com/film/10-more-genius-ways-movies-fixed-their-own-mistakes?page=8
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 March, 2021, 05:16:16 PM
Might give Aquaman a go tonight

Yeah that was proper good fun, nothing amazing but free of that soul-sucking grimness that DC seems to think makes superheroes cool. I was glad when his mum's weapon was destroyed so that I could stop shouting THAT'S NOT A FUCKING TRIDENT every ten minutes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 March, 2021, 03:39:54 AM
Yeah that was proper good fun, nothing amazing but free of that soul-sucking grimness that DC seems to think makes superheroes cool.

Yep. It's brash and it's breezy, it's colourful and fast-paced, and it's fun. The action sequences are well-staged and I understood the motivations of both the primary and secondary villains (something you can't say about an awful lot of superhero movies) and Ocean Master even had a pretty good point.

It's as dumb as a box of rocks, but it doesn't care, which is part of the fun. Completely inconsequential but, for me, that makes it vastly preferable to these great slabs of angsty grimdark which I fear the generally positive reaction to the Snyder Cut of JL may see DC/Warner reinstating as a feature in further movies.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.