Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 October, 2019, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: radiator on 30 September, 2019, 06:30:39 PM

The flashbacks were certainly very odd given that the storytelling in SW has always been very linear - and it's weird that Johnson couldn't come up with a better solution to convey that information.

I actually really liked that part - very Rashomon-esque, and harks back to Lucas's own Kurosawa influence.

Comparing Johnson to Kurosawa would get you lynched in some homes, but not mine, it's a perfect parable, and a worthy example of why I feel the story telling in TLJ is a notch above whats come before.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 October, 2019, 02:26:47 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 October, 2019, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: radiator on 30 September, 2019, 06:30:39 PM

The flashbacks were certainly very odd given that the storytelling in SW has always been very linear - and it's weird that Johnson couldn't come up with a better solution to convey that information.

I actually really liked that part - very Rashomon-esque, and harks back to Lucas's own Kurosawa influence.

Comparing Johnson to Kurosawa would get you lynched in some homes, but not mine, it's a perfect parable, and a worthy example of why I feel the story telling in TLJ is a notch above whats come before.

I'm clearly remembering a different film than everyone else.

TordelBack

I'm having an amazing conversation about Empire Strikes  Back on Twitter with two self-proclaimed scions of SW fandom who have so far suggested I've (a) never seen the film, (b) I'm a child lying about my age, (c) if I did see it when I was 9 I should have understood it better and (f) I'm bashing other people's pastimes by suggesting that perceptions people had of a film in 1980 may not be the same as those they and others hold now.

Gatekeeping a 42-year-long fanboy talking about his favourite film seems pretty hardcore!

This all started with an observation that people get hit by lightsabers in both TESB and AotC and don't die/lose a limb, so maybe Finn and Kylo's injuries in TFA aren't as unprecedented as the anti-TLJ lobby assert.

Hawkmumbler

Man, if you where to explain to them that pretty much all real life bladed melee weapons can graze as well as mortally wound they might just lose control of their bowls.

Drop you Twitter @ met Senior Tordels, slow day at the office I need a laugh.

TordelBack

My twitter handle will shock and amaze you!

But there's no way knowing it will make anyone's afternoon less boring.

It all started with responses to this gem of cherry-picked nonsense: Disney doesn't understand lightsabers .

TordelBack

Urrrrgh, meant to add that by noting the tone of this discussion here I meant to make a wider point about gatekeeping: if my views, as a fat white beardo who saw every movie multiple times in the cinema on release and lives in a termite mound made of merch, are discounted as the ravings of a child by the modern post-RLM cognoscenti, what must it be like for other less-stereotypical demographics?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 October, 2019, 04:34:29 PM
It all started with responses to this gem of cherry-picked nonsense: Disney doesn't understand lightsabers .
Whoever made that video is to Star Wars fans what fundamentalists are to religion. I could only manage about 3 minutes, but I'll probably have to correct my youtube recommendations for weeks.

Do you enjoy watching clickbait? Are you aware of Brandolini's Law?
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mister Pops on 22 October, 2019, 01:49:27 AM

He is Brandolini!

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 October, 2019, 02:45:34 AM

He is Brandolini!

Or The Brandalorian :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tjm86

Actually I wasn't but thank you for that little gem.  Or rather I was aware of it but not fully cognisant of it.

I love it:  "The amount of energy required to refute Bovine Excrement is an order of magnitude greater than that required to create it."

Just think, if we could harness all that energy we could solve the world's energy crisis at a stroke!

Apestrife

Here's the final trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qn_spdM5Zg

I don't care much for it, but I'll watch it for sake of completeness.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 October, 2019, 04:34:29 PM
My twitter handle will shock and amaze you!

But there's no way knowing it will make anyone's afternoon less boring.

Boy that chap is funny.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Apestrife on 22 October, 2019, 05:48:35 AM
Here's the final trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qn_spdM5Zg

I don't care much for it, but I'll watch it for sake of completeness.

Well here's hoping. I'm not sure there's much there to grip and make this stand out. We'll see.

TordelBack

I'm fundamentally against bringing Palpatine back, so I'm naturally down on this thing, but for my money that trailer is ostentatious in the wrong places. The idea of [spoiler]Palps hiding his super-huge secret Star Destroyer fleet underwater (it's the last place they'd look - unless they'd ever seen a JJ Abrams film before!), and then having them hover about in the atmosphere just so Our Heroes can ride space horses about on them is just...[/spoiler] well, I can't say silly, because it's all silly, but maybe better suited to a certain kind of mid '90s SW novel.

Similarly the clip of a ragtag rebel fleet with (presumably) Lando leading them again should be arsom, but it's just a very ugly shot with way too much jammed into it.  At least there are loads of new (and old) ships there to pick at.

On the positive side, the 'rebuilding the rebellion' thread does seem to be developed, and it is good to see the heroes all in the same place. Wave effects and starfighter action both look amazing, and I like that Threepio gets something to do, even if it is just [spoiler]Get Converted Into An Evil Robot for Reasons of Subterfuge[/spoiler].

And much respect to all involved for giving Carrie top billing.

As ever, it's not like I'm not going to see it opening week, so just have to wait and see.

karlos

Yeah, this looks...OK.  Like the last two.  Which, for me, weren't.

Lando looks well, though (is he still rocking the cape/collar look?  That's hardcore).

Cheer up, guys, at least we've got The Mandalorian to look forward to.