Main Menu

HBO Watchmen

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 08 May, 2019, 11:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Greg M.

God, Lindelof must be one of the most worthless, egomaniacal, scum-sucking twats alive. Every day, he's coming out with another "Alan Moore said... Alan Moore did... Alan Moore's budgie's second cousin might've thought..." to desperately sell this show. The latest? "Alan Moore might've put a curse on me... but I won't use Alan Moore's name (which is Alan Moore by the way... A-L-A-N - yes, that's it) to promote this Alan Moore-based show." I wish Dave Gibbons had told him to fuck right off as well.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 19 October, 2019, 09:43:39 AM
God, Lindelof must be one of the most worthless, egomaniacal, scum-sucking twats alive. Every day, he's coming out with another "Alan Moore said... Alan Moore did... Alan Moore's budgie's second cousin might've thought..." to desperately sell this show. The latest? "Alan Moore might've put a curse on me... but I won't use Alan Moore's name (which is Alan Moore by the way... A-L-A-N - yes, that's it) to promote this Alan Moore-based show." I wish Dave Gibbons had told him to fuck right off as well.

If I was an omnipotent Blue God and Lindelof was a pregnant Vietnamese hooer, I'd probably stand by and do nuthin if Greg M shot him in the gut.
Joking aside - I've just read some really, really positive reviews for that first episode (it aired last night in the US). 
Definitely tempted to tune in this evening at 9.00pm.

Radbacker

Well first episode was pretty good, sequel to the comic story (definitely was a giant squid in this universe not Dr Manhattan doing off) with the admittedly brilliant art direction from the movie.  Sets up a decent mystery in the first episode and while it does have some action not glorifying it like the movie (which while it all looked pretty cool kinda missed the point of the comic)
[spoiler]so Don Johnson character doesn't last past the first episode but pretty sure we may see him in some flashbacks, anyone who's seen it think he may have been Nightowl 2, Sister Night (or what ever her name is) was drinking from an Owl mug in his office and pretty sure they were owls hooting at the end when he was hanging from the tree[/spoiler]
Looking forward to episode 2

CU Radbacker

Link Prime

Stick with yer gut instinct, kid.

I caved in and watched it - beyond awful.

JOE SOAP

It's fine as a bit of Sci-Fi when it's not remembering it needs to reference WATCHMEN (the clunky superfluous bits) because HBO paid for the license.

shaolin_monkey

[spoiler]so Don Johnson character doesn't last past the first episode but pretty sure we may see him in some flashbacks, anyone who's seen it think he may have been Nightowl 2, Sister Night (or what ever her name is) was drinking from an Owl mug in his office and pretty sure they were owls hooting at the end when he was hanging from the tree[/spoiler]

Aye, that and they were [spoiler] flying Archie.[/spoiler]

Bolt-01

[spoiler]I did think that, and if that was the case then Mrs Don Johnson would be Sally. However, Mrs Johnson references Mr Johnson being in Oklahoma at high school. This is the sort of think spouses would know, but Sally didn't go to school with Dan...

However, the first issue opens with the murder of the Comedian so losing a major character at the start is part of the accepted storytelling methodology.[/spoiler]

Spoilers for those not watching yet.

I quite enjoyed it, and will watch the rest of the season, but it's 'not' Watchmen is it?

TordelBack

Alan Moore is judging you lot through the all-seeing Eye of Glycon. He has weighed your withered souls against a 10-spot of finest Morrocan and found them less than worthy. There'll be no pints waiting down the Jolly Smokers for ye.

Professor Bear

I'm surprised those who watched it are okay with white creators appropriating black stories like the Tulsa Race Riot in the rather opportunistic and sensationalist way Watchmen does, or the bit where a white man is nervous because he's been pulled over by a black police officer.  It's like the makers of Watchmen have just taken someone else's story and used its trappings without understanding...
ohhhhhhhhh

Well anyway, this was fine, but I recall when Sliders was on the go, a common thing among fans was to nitpick how the different worlds they visited actually worked on a day-to-day basis rather than as a brain fart premise - IE: gender-swapped history: how work? - and my immediate thought was "how does visible policing like beat cops and traffic tickets get done if cops are hiding all the time?"  It does throw up some interesting notions that Watchmen's America practices some form of anarcho-syndacalism to enforce the basic tenets of the social contract, though it remains to be seen if this is on the federal level or differs from state to state.  I'm sure they'll explain in the next episode.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 October, 2019, 03:19:24 PM
Well anyway, this was fine, but I recall when Sliders was on the go, a common thing among fans was to nitpick how the different worlds they visited actually worked on a day-to-day basis rather than as a brain fart premise - IE: gender-swapped history: how work?

The most improbable world of all is the one where there are Sliders fans.

Professor Bear

I am given to understand that they actually visited that world in the show.

TordelBack

Nah, that was an episode of Survival Geeks.

Link Prime

Did no one else tap out at the scene featuring a fat cop in a panda outfit?
No one?

Proudhuff

I hate it when the Hivemind's split.... tell me what to think!

I cant take anymore half arsed Netflix/Prime pointless serials filled with half arsed refs and or alt worlds that are  ill thought out and downright annoying...I'm looking at you Salem! 
DDT did a job on me