Main Menu

Pat Mills moving onto new things it would seem

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 August, 2020, 07:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 September, 2020, 09:38:20 AMObviously you couldn't have more than one football based strip in your overall portfolio....unlike multiple future detective, future war, mythical warrior strips. Or indeed two strips about travelling the galaxy.
I only have vague memories of the interview (which, now I think about it, might have been on YouTube), and so I don't recall the exact course of events that led to what Wagner decided to do. That said, I do imagine with ROTR having so much brand behind it that a new comic—even by Wagner—might have been overlooked and not had the same level of marketing clout behind it.

Rately

It is a real shame to hear that John has struggled with financing, and taken a hit. He has done so much for me, for everyone reading 2000AD and beyond, and seems a very decent human being.

CalHab

I'd have thought Rok of the Reds would be ideal for adaptation to an animated series. Hopefully someone in television/streaming realises this.

Dandontdare

Somebody call Joe Cornish. I bet he could capture the brit-footy/scifi vibe in a movie adaptation

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 September, 2020, 09:49:45 AM
Originally it was going to be Rom of the Reds and got changed to Rok to avoid copyright infringement of another character.

It was originally Rom of the Rovers — double the infringement.

Proudhuff

I'd like to see a comparison between The Boys and Marshall Law, beyond policing Supes there isn't much as far as I can tell.
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

For me this completely different. I can not see how someone can say that Ennis stole the idea from Mills. Then if it is the case everyone stole from Superman
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

I guess everyone ultimately stole from Gilgamesh.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 19 September, 2020, 03:03:07 PM
I'd like to see a comparison between The Boys and Marshall Law, beyond policing Supes there isn't much as far as I can tell.

I might be remembering it incorrectly, but does Marshal Law have to drink a magic potion to be able to take down supes?

Probably the key point is that there's a lot of "borrowed inspiration" and homage and standing on the shoulders of giants in the creative arts. It's a bit hypocritical for one creator to claim that when they do it, it's just part of the natural flow of things but when someone else does it it's theft.

Then again - there's copyright law, which Stranger Things and Banksy have tussled with in recent news stories. (The Banksy one is actually about trademark law, but he's only got himself into that mess because he's avoiding copyright law. Or she. Or them. Or it: could be The Phantom!)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Anyone notice what I assume is a thinly veiled swipe at Pat in this month's Megazine?

Professor Bear

Art

I might be remembering it incorrectly, but does Marshal Law have to drink a magic potion to be able to take down supes?

A special gun with multiple types of speciality bullet, IIRC.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 September, 2020, 05:42:37 PM
Anyone notice what I assume is a thinly veiled swipe at Pat in this month's Megazine?

I don't want to go through the whole thing looking ... so for me the answer is no - what was it?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 September, 2020, 06:14:05 PM

I don't want to go through the whole thing looking ... so for me the answer is no - what was it?

I must admit I didn't pick up on anything - but very possibly me being daft???

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 September, 2020, 06:15:20 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 September, 2020, 06:14:05 PM

I must admit I didn't pick up on anything - but very possibly me being daft???

Nope I did not notice anything myself. I am joining the daft club
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.