Main Menu

Tharg's 2021 in Review - Best 2000 AD strips (non-Dredd)

Started by norton canes, 27 December, 2021, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 01 January, 2022, 08:19:40 PM
I've actually got a spreadsheet already set up to do exactly that...

Oh well, a year off!

Sorry posted that in the wrong thread. I had no plans to count up these, meant the votes I kicked off, Funt has got the scores on the board on those as well. Sorry about that!

Colin YNWA

Sooo tough there have been so many fantastic thrills this year. I really want to give it to The Out BUT since its not had manage the ending, probably the toughest part of the thrill I don't think that's fair. So I'll sit it out and go with:

1. Thistlebone
2. Proteus Vex
3. Chimpsky's Law

Those three could have been in any order and there are at least four other thrills, (Pandora Perfect, Durham Red, Department K and Hershey) that could have so easily made the top three on a different day. Its been a fine year of thrillpower.

Batman's Superior Cousin

1st: The Out
2nd: Scarlet Traces
3rd: Pandora Perfect
A few others (Chimpsky's Law, Department K, Feral and Foe, Mechastopheles, Proteus Vex) were also memorable standouts for me, but sadly didn't make the list for one reason or another.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

norton canes

The results are in - and The Out is 'not out'...

1   2   3   
The Out9 4 4 39
Thistlebone37225
Proteus Vex33318
Feral and Foe41317
Visions of Deadworld   239
Jaegir1229
Chimpsky's Law1229
Pandora Perfect1127
Sláine26
Hershey36
The Diaboliks125
(Sinister) Dexter24
Scarlet Traces113
Durham Red12
Aquila22
Department K11

2021 Best 2000 AD strip (non-Dredd): The Out

Was the result ever in question? Well... for a few hours, perhaps, as the first eight voters all placed different strips in first place. But after that The out asserted its dominance and though unlike last year it didn't score more then double the points of its nearest challenger, its massive popularity remains evident.

Props to Thistlebone for working its magic to score a solid second place, while Proteus Vex sneaks above Feral and Foe for a deserved third.

The bad news for every other strip including The Out is that this year brings us an epic chapter of Brink. Will anything rise to the challenge? Keep your thrill-receptors tuned and your voting circuits on standby.

Colin YNWA

Fantastic Norton Canes - thanks so much for running this. There's so much to discuss with these results.

1. Its great to see so many thrills score points - goes to show the stenght in depth of Tharg's Thrill Closet these days

2. Its even better to see the top spots dominated by thrills that are only a few years old. I mean seriously unless you consider Jaegir a vet by now you have to go down to Slaine in 9th to find a thrill more than what 8 years old, the top three are all only a couple of years old and I find that SO exciting. The Prog is in a very good place right now and still innovating.

AlexF

So true - new thrills are the lifeblood and it's so gratifying when they're good.
I'd also say that of that list, only Dept K was a thrill that I disliked - not even that it was badly crafted, I just wasn't into it. And 1 miss out of 16 hits is astonishing for an anthology comic!

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I haven't actually read every one of them, but of those I have:

1. The Out
2.  Thistlebone
3.  Aquila
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"