Main Menu

Best prog cover of 2023

Started by norton canes, 02 January, 2024, 10:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

As ever, 2023 served up some corking covers. What were your favourite three? Just a bit of fun, not counting these up.

1. Prog 2335
Simply an absolutely brilliant image to sell the prog - and the sympathetic lettering really helps.

2. Prog 2337
A stunning piece of artwork from the Bettin droid, enhanced by the lovely, nostalgic 'Scrotnig new thrill starts inside!'

3. Prog 2327
Seems weird seeing Simon Davis not on Thistlebone these days, but this is a fantastic way to encapsulate the old and new of Durham Red.

Colin YNWA

Another one were I've learnt from over thinking this just to dive in as I'll never settle on an answer. So

1. 2317 - Absolute perfection and the one image I've considered getting one of the prints for. So striking and perfectly captures the series quiet, yet otherworldly charm.

2. 2360 - Say what you like about the series that cover just pops. Amazing

3. 2356 - Again say what you like about the Regened, and I've whined as much as any this year - they give good cover and that one is an eye catching delight. The use of light to make Cadet Dredd pop is superb.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

2317 The Out - another vote for this. Striking cover, and encapsulates the series, as Colin says above.

2337 Azimuth - Moebius-esque explosion of imagination.

2335 Enemy Earth - I don't even like Enemy Earth but this cover is a stunner. Absolutely drips menace.

That 2356 Regened cover is also something else, and 2349's Hershey is also a highlight.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Le Fink

Before I laboriously upload a bunch of images to imgur, how is everyone else linking to these images? I can see the links, obviously, but where's the index to peruse?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Le Fink on 02 January, 2024, 06:15:10 PMwhere's the index to peruse?

2023 progs in the shop, then you right-click and "open image in new tab", then you can see the URL.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Prog 2317 by Mark Harrison
Beautifully clean design, balanced out by the big text. Cyd doesn't need us, she's not performing for us. We're following her.

Prog 2337 by Tazio Bettin
Enigmatic new character front and center, with a bizarre new world to explore that is interfering with the logo. The lettering ties into the image well. It just totally sold it.

Prog 2330 by Leonardo Manco
Rogue's gonna foreshorten your guts! The Nort is both threatening (stalking over Rogue's shoulder, and a giant in the frame) and terrified (look in his eyes), which is kinda how it rolls with RT. As it should be, this is full on action, lunging out of the cover at us. How could you walk past this?

Bubbling under:
 - Prog 2355 - Dad of Night
 - Prog 2342 - Snail's eye view of Dexter
 - Prog 2331 - Durham in the burning forest
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Le Fink

Thanks Funt. I've gone for some white background images, I guess they pop more for me.

1. The only one I'm thinking of getting a print of... so much energy, great pose. Awesome from McCrea.

2. Dan Cornwall does tough Dredd. Modern classic.

3. Prog 2360. Powerful stuff. I really like Dayglo's art in the strip, too.

2000BC

Prog 2362 by Cliff Robinson
A great action scene with loads of fun details.

Prog 2317 by Mark Harrison
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said by Funt Solo and ColinYNWA.

Prog 2350 by Cliff Robinson
Old school chrome logo!

Link Prime

I'll vote for:

1) Prog 2330 (S tier effort from Manco)
2) Prog 2326 (Love the logo incorporated into the Biochip)
3) Prog 2317 (Beautiful art + design)

JohnW

Because I had to choose one Harrison cover, and for the reflection in the sunglasses.

No, wait. It's more than that. If you know the story then you know you're getting a suitably big finale. If you don't know the story you're asking, 'Who's that woman? Why does she get such prominent placing? What have I missed?'
Oh yeah – and no one's pointing a gun at anyone.

Because it's Bisley doing Pineapples for the last time and I'm a sentimental old fool.

Bettin and Soffe do Sergio Leone, but with pretty colours!

Honourable Mention 

A lean and racially ambiguous Dredd – just like McMahon used to draw 'em.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Le Fink

Quote from: JohnW on 06 January, 2024, 05:59:04 PM3.

Bettin and Soffe do Sergio Leone, but with pretty colours!
I really liked the angle on this one, an HM for me - didn't think of Leone at the time but yes it's most apt.

Funt Solo

While this was just for fun, I felt like counting up the votes, which resulted in:

1st place - Prog 2317 by Mark Harrison

2nd place - Prog 2337 by Tazio Bettin

3rd place equal - Prog 2330 by Leonardo Manco

3rd place equal - Prog 2335 by Luke Horsman

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

1. Prog 2317: Escape Route – so good I bought the print. Simple and precise in compositional terms. Superbly executed.

2. Prog 2321: The Law Abides – another wonderful Jock Dredd. If I had more space, I'd have bought this as a print too.

3. Prog 2337: Azimuth – excitingly different and distinctly European in feel. Great composition and catches the eye at every size.