Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Ah, High School of the Dead. Their was a time I really enjoyed that. I was 14.

Dar days, people. Dark days.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 June, 2015, 02:17:42 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 11 June, 2015, 01:36:22 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 June, 2015, 11:38:49 AM
Attack the Block. Why the drokk have I not watched this before? Amazing movie and a textbook example of shoe to create menace and threat with zero budget.

Joe Cornish's interview with Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo is pretty funny. He accurately says that its being judged as though it's part of the cornetto trilogy, so perhaps Mr Kermode might prefer to watch the movie Joe made and not the one Mark thought he was going to watch.

A viewpoint Mark Kermode has since come around to!

I love it. Glad to see Moses leading up the trailer for Star Wars too.

Love that movie and thanks for making me aware of the Cornish Kermode thing - that interview is fantastic and the politist arguement ever!

I love this film too.

Can you link me to the interview please?

shaolin_monkey

Buttonman

Catching up on a few before my return to work next week - booo!

Would You Rather was a high concept film that essentially gave a group of people the choice or doing this or that in order to win some dough. It was OK but given the choice I'd rather have watched something else!

Also saw Woman on the Run which was a perfectly decent 1950's B movie.

And Terence Stamp gangster flick The Hit.

Lastly I saw Anna Kendrick's first film Camp which was OK if you like a 'Glee' or 'High School Musical' type romp which of course we all do.

ThryllSeekyr

Tuned into the some film called Mr Brooks, thinking it was some biopic about Mel Brook.

Seriously no... it's about a pairs of serial killers. One of which gets caught on film doing the deed by some younger guy who also wants to learn the trade and lets just say I didn't know it was so easy to get your throat cut by the buisness end of a shovel and the twist ending  might have been planned by Mr Brooks himself. Otherwise, you just don't know.

radiator

Jurassic World.

It's very meh I'm afraid.

Better than 2 and 3, but not by much. I  think the reviews on this one have been overly generous. I actually had high hopes for it, and was trying to convince myself that it was just a case of the marketing not reflecting the final product, but if you've seen the trailers or previews, i can assure you it's every bit as dumb as it seems from those clips. LOTS of clunky dialogue.

We watched the original last night which is such a tight, restrained piece of work. This one is a typical weightless greenscreen-fest, lacking any sense of tangibility or tension. They make an admirable stab at giving the story a bit of heart, and pepper it with cutesy, indie movie type moments, but it just didn't work for me. You know you've got script problems if the majority of your main characters spend pretty much the entire third act not doing anything, or watching things unfold on a screen. It reminded me a bit of Star Trek Into Darkness - lots of nods and winks that just remind you of a far superior film.

2/5

JamesC

Kingsman

I really enjoyed this. Colin Firth was ace and the film totally embraced the ridiculous spy-cliche trappings.
It has the OTT Mark Millar/Mathew Vaughn elements you'd expect - including the slightly adolescent sense of humour.
Really good fun though - if you like action movies you should enjoy it.

Theblazeuk

:O I'm watching that right now

It's very enjoyable at this point, no where near as obnoxious as it seemed from the trailer.

Ghost MacRoth

So good you're checking the internet?  Lol, not the best review I've ever read! ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Theblazeuk

Well I stopped to make lunch! Thoroughly enjoyable. Colin Firth makes a surprisingly good action hero. Shame his main action scene involves [spoiler]murdering a church [/spoiler]full of horrible but innocent people.

Ghost MacRoth

Ah, fair one! Guess that's the movie Nazi in me coming out.....prep a drink, no snacks, void bladder, commence film, watch to end uninterrupted, review!  ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Theblazeuk

I am the same about movies that are of a little more substance than this/in the cinema/not being watched during the day.

One thing I didn't mention though was how clumsy the anal sex gag was. It was a bit... off. Swedish princess promising bum sex to a stranger if he'll rescue her/the world... then the final shot soured it quite a bit.

Satanist

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 June, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
... then the final shot soured it quite a bit.

BAN THIS SICK FILTH!

TBH I found that gag a bit out of place as well.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tjm86

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 12 June, 2015, 03:02:21 PM
Ah, fair one! Guess that's the movie Nazi in me coming out.....prep a drink, no snacks, void bladder, commence film, watch to end uninterrupted, review!  ;)

Ah, the halcyon days before kids!  Now it's ... grab 20 minutes at a shift and try and remember what happened the last time I had a chance to watch it!  Sigh!

von Boom

Quote from: Satanist on 12 June, 2015, 03:48:34 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 June, 2015, 03:24:12 PM
... then the final shot soured it quite a bit.

BAN THIS SICK FILTH!

TBH I found that gag a bit out of place as well.

My thoughts as well. Needless really.